PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Now that I am retired, I no longer have time to futz with desktops and laptops. I am on my third tablet, a 2019 basic iPod, and $300 or $400 every few years to get a new one to read stuff on the web is a heck of a lot less than I spent on the inevitable, endless and frequent upgrades that as often as not caused as many problems as they supposedly solved. Technical support was either non existent or costly, and I have never needed it with my tablets. I still have a desktop home PC but haven’t had occasion to even turn it on in over three years.

Reactions: newbroom

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This is what I see when posting on a thread:

996D35A4-6628-44FC-B903-7E6338270A0D.png

I can add a picture by either using the attach files button beneath the text entry box, or clicking on the picture icon in the toolbox and adding a link or picture there.

This is what i see when having a conversation:

4756F697-87C1-47AD-AF2A-C1B149AD72F5.png

There is no attach files option, and the picture icon in the toolbox only gives me an option for URL. If I click the 3 dots to the right of this icon, another picture icon appears that enables me to link to embedded media.

It doesn’t worry me that I can’t attach files/pictures (without URL) in conversations. If however it is possible I would like to be schooled on how to do it

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There is an insert picture icon in the editor that pops up in the conversation window, I copied a link to a picture on this site and pasted it in there, but it didn't work. I'll just keep doing the way that I have been when necessary...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yeah, the gamut of sites one can embed from should be expanded, but I think that's up to Zenforo and not the webmaster of this site. ?
I think there is some other HTML or descriptors that need to go around the information, but the tool in the editor doesn't generate it.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany

View attachment 78000

I can add a picture by either using the attach files button beneath the text entry box, or clicking on the picture icon in the toolbox and adding a link or picture there.

View attachment 78001

There is no attach files option, and the picture icon in the toolbox only gives me an option for URL. If I click the 3 dots to the right of this icon, another picture icon appears that enables me to link to embedded media.

It doesn’t worry me that I can’t attach files/pictures (without URL) in conversations. If however it is possible I would like to be schooled on how to do it
Same here.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018

Thanks for the photos.
That's a bit of a stretch.

And no one has been talking about drag and drop.
Please see photos above.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Below is a screen shot from my Mac laptop of a PM, suggesting to me that it could be an O/S difference, or, as said above a difference set for Mods.

Add image.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, who knew?? :) Now that I think a bit about it, it makes sense- bad actors/folk can't gross out others or harass them as easily,

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Yes, compared to early devices, there's hardly a point of comparison anymore.

My gripe's been always with the hype of "mobile" and the push to jump on these devices and ditching everything else.

I started custom building PCs circa AD 1994. I went into business based on that. Business is long gone but to date, I still build, repair and maintain my own personal systems. I can't be impressed with fancy phones or tablets, not even "gaming" laptops. Those systems just don't have the expansion and scalability possibilities of the venerable desktop/workstation PC.

I remember a conversation I had with a secretary when I worked at a certain department in the varsity: according to her, I was dumb to own a PC: the "smart" people all bought and toted laptops. Explaining to her that a PC has expansion slots and features that allow it to be easily upgraded or repaired was an exercise in futility. Typical young kid who has no bloody idea but thinks she knows everything. This was back in AD 2004.

To date, I can load tons of data, devices, and whatnot into and onto my PC. Not so with my two laptops, who are beyond upgradeable and possibly even repairable. Boosting up my iPhone 5S or my iPhone 4S?? Maybe if I smoked something else in my pipes I could dream of doing so.

Personally, I prefer to sit at my desk and look at things on a 24" screen and type on a mechanical keyboard and have quality sound coming from surround speakers and a bass and be able to plug in a joystick and a scanner and a printer and .... the works.

Even this big screen has made me blinder: I can't imagine the bottle bottom spectacles I'd be wearing right now if I had to do everything on a phone screen. ??
Eh. I kinda get that, but I have an alternative viewpoint. My line of work, I routinely use giant desktop workstations that cost as much as a car with multiple displays and a pen display for art, with top of the line GPUs and all that.

I also have a ridiculous laptop that can power a VR headset without breaking a sweat, a Xebec tri-screen setup for it, and a Wacom One pen display for it as well.

The second I get off work, though? I power all that shit right down and then grab my iPad or iPhone for all personal computing, which I can do from the cushy comfort of my recliner. I don’t need any gonzo hardware to read ebooks, watch movies, browse the internet, chat with people, or shop online.

If I feel like writing, drawing, or painting, then I just break out the Brydge keyboard or the Apple Pencil, and I don’t even need to leave my recliner. I haven’t yet run into a practical situation in my off hours where I felt like I HAD to fire up the big stuff, and am happy that mobile hardware is powerful enough to allow me to firmly separate work from relaxation.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Well you clearly haven’t tried to post a picture in a PM then ;)
Not strange territory to me. I’m used to Reddit, which doesn’t support directly embedding images in posts or comments either. Instead, they’re generally uploaded to Imgur and then linked to in the message body, so if I had to put an image in a PM for whatever reason, I would just upload it to Imgur or my own server and drop a link in the PM. I can do both easily on mobile. ?‍♂️

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Same thing I see on my Windows machine.

Guess it's just for mods, then.
Some time ago when writing pm I asked Kevin G. about the problem. He gave me the same explanations mentioned above. But no explanation worked for me. (no direct upload possible like I can do in normal threads). I used a tablet (android). But I didn't try my laptop (windows). Thank you for testing this, olkofri!

Reactions: olkofri

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I think that only mods/admins can post most pics in pm's. It may have to do with some anti-spam setting to stop people from spamming things through pm's.

I do believe that if you post it to the site in a thread, then you can pull that photo location into a pm, but I may be wrong.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I do believe that if you post it to the site in a thread, then you can pull that photo location into a pm, but I may be wrong.
It could be done since uploading it to the site generates a URL for the pic: post on a thread, right-click on pic, choose View Image..., hit F6, copy pic's URL, go back to the PM and paste in the Picture URL field.

In a sense it's OK not to be able to upload photos to the site database from a PM: sometimes we'd want images to remain private and not be part of the PipesMag's database. Then again, the link to the pic retains a relational property in the DB, so ?‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.