PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I found a marling spike worked quite well when they used to sell tinned baccy in the UK. Smash the spike into the lip, whoosh goes the vacuum, off came the lid and you just tipped the contents into your tobacco pouch and chucked the tin away. Tins ruin the line of your suit anyway!

blazze

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
I use the screwdriver on my Leatherman Skeletool. Always in my pocket for whatever. As far as storage.. I transfer all of my opened tins to mason jars. Even if I am going to go through it in a few days I like them for convenience anyway. Keeps the tobacco fresh and as moist as the blender sent it to you. Unopened tins I typically leave in the tin unless it looks a bit compromised. Then its packed away in a plastic container (still in the tin) for safekeeping.
And as for which to try first. +1 to the MM965. You might also like/want to try Frog Morton blends for a nice transition from aromatics to english blends. They are a solid mild english that wont overwhelm.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tape a 2 foot length of string to the tin, anywhere. Hang from nearest tree limb, dangling at least 2 feet from the ground. Take care to make sure the ground underneath the limb is dry, as you don't want your baccy to become damp. Pace off about 15 - 20 feet. Raise 12 guage shotgun, loaded with 3 1/2 magnums. Point in general direction of tin and slowly squeeze trigger. Make sure the butt of the shotgun is tight against your shoulder. Reload and repeat as necessary. Now you have it, smoking at it's finest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I usually use a coin. I think I've used a screwdriver once. Can someone give a quick explanation as to why

the vacuum seal keeps the lid from unscrewing? As soon as you get the psssssttttt of the vacuum seal

breaking, the lid twists off with just a good twist. Before that, it is too tight to turn, unless you have

extremely strong hands. I admit, I often leave the tobacco in the tin, unless I expect to leave it for a

long time. The tobacco does dry out, but not so it loses flavor.

darkcloud

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
Tape a 2 foot length of string to the tin, anywhere. Hang from nearest tree limb, dangling at least 2 feet from the ground. Take care to make sure the ground underneath the limb is dry, as you don't want your baccy to become damp. Pace off about 15 - 20 feet. Raise 12 guage shotgun, loaded with 3 1/2 magnums. Point in general direction of tin and slowly squeeze trigger. Make sure the butt of the shotgun is tight against your shoulder. Reload and repeat as necessary. Now you have it, smoking at it's finest.
At first I thought you were joking but as I considered your advice a bit longer, it made all the sense in the world. :puffy:

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I personally wear a Dunhill Tin Opening Overalls and use an antique halberd to crack the tin.
(DTOO's are very similar to their Aviators Overalls:)
7EkCeO9.jpg

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
For the (almost all) Americans on here, the price shown for the hilarious overalls is 42 old shillings. For reasons I won't go into, pre-decimalisation (1972/3) currency in the UK was based on 12 pennies to a shilling and 20 shillings to a Pound. A Pound and a shilling was called a Guinea, so the price for this wonderful, camel hair lined beauty was two Guineas. That's £2.10 in the new currency which we've used since then. Using the time-honoured Mars Bar rate of exchange for comparison with today's prices (I lived through decimalisation so worked in old money and remember the price conversion), the current price of that suit would be £50.40. Not bad at all for something that required you to kill a dromedary for the inner! Oh the good old days!
Andy

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Great pic there, Jarit.
But to open a pouch of Clan you would be better off in a full HazMat suit.

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
Czech pipe tool spoon/scraper, CountyComm Micro Widgy prybar, or the flathead screwdriver of a Leatherman SuperTool 300 or Wave.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I use the tamper end of my Czech tool. Insert under the lid at the dimples in the tin and a slight twist breaks the vacuum and then twist of the lid if a round or prise of if a square.

Status
Not open for further replies.