PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've seen or taken part in conversations where pipe smokers have lamented the state of pipe smoking in the world. This topics usually include statements about how "pipe smoking will be dead before I am" or some such folderol. I've decided it's time we take steps to make pipe smoking more socially acceptable...
Disclaimer: The following is Satire. The definition of satire is “the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.”
Dress as a gentleman when in public. Don’t look like a ruffian. Wear a suit, semi-dress clothes or something dressy, casual like Polo shirt and slacks. No t-shirts, shorts, holey faded blue jeans, etc. You want to look like a gentleman, not someone who’s tending the lawn at the country club or headed to the beach. Oh, no beat-up sneakers or sandals. Exception: Sandals are fine if you’ve just had a pedicure and you are wearing proper golf shorts with a Polo shirt. Proper also means the shorts are worn belted around your waist and not hanging below your hips.
The rest of the blog can be found here:

http://macpappysworld.blogspot.com/

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Good blog Pappy, I liked the other about Perique as well, very informative and well written.

I bookmarked your blog, so I can continue reading it.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Seems like common sense to me.
Us pipe smokers are a part of society so we have a say in what is acceptable. I do my part by smoking my pipe in public as often as possible and answering any questions in a thoughtful manner.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Looking at your blog, Pappymac, I see your entry about walking a dog, but not a pit bull or German shepherd. As one who works with dog rescue groups, I am compelled to state that pit bulls are no more likely to be aggressive than any other breed. It's irresponsible for you to label them negatively.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Bigvan - 1. read the first part of the blog again. The part where it defines satire. Then unbunch your panties. 2. I guess all the stories about people being mauled by pit bulls are either "fake news" or cases of mis-identification.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
:puffy:

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Regardless bigvan, Pappy is entitled to his opinion, whether it bunches your panties or not!

My wife and I took our Lhasa Apso to a local park for a lunt over the weekend and were attacked by a monstrous pit bull.

My wife was able to keep our dog from being mauled and I managed to get between her and the pit bull, but I still got tore up a little bit before it's owner could gain control of it again.

The pit bull was going after our smaller dog and we were just in it's way.

I'm telling you that thing was big, very muscular and had nothing but rage and murder in it's eyes.

I'm not saying the breed is born like that, but it is still an aggressive breed that I won't fully trust.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Very nice blog. Kudos to you. As for social acceptability, I've deemed the standards of the masses to be unacceptable. I smoke where I want to.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Strange how people will accept how breeding works for color, stature, muscularity, eye color, and every other trait EXCEPT aggression. My neighbor has a pit bull that is an absolute sweetheart; that doesn't change the fact that she was selectively bred for what pit bulls were selectively bred for.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I enjoyed your blog, Pappy. My favorite part was the suggestions for fellow lunters. Haha. I saw the post below on Instagram the other day poking fun at the "Lunting Society," of which I'm a "member."
oRnCY

https://imgur.com/a/oRnCY

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As one who works with dog rescue groups, I am compelled to state that pit bulls are no more likely to be aggressive than any other breed. It's irresponsible for you to label them negatively.
You own a few?
Regardless, your statement is unsupportable—unless you have some actual research with which to back it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Too many issues already on this thread, but they're thought provoking. I like pappymac's satire and read it as such. I would point out, as someone who dresses in ordinary jeans (Lee) and a faded Hawaiian shirt or something wrinkled (to match me), but who also likes to put on a sports jacket and sometimes a tie or bow tie, or sometimes a suit, I have the opportunity to see how differently I'm treated from my comfortable outfit to my dressier outfits. Dressed up, suddenly retail staff sees me right away, suddenly I'm "sir," and people seek out directions and even sometimes my opinion. Back in the jeans, folks are nice but hardly attentive. So I take it for what it's worth, if it is important to be treated well, dress up. Even if you can only afford one get-up from Goodwill, it pays returns.
As for the Staffordshire Terrier related pit bull breeds, I have no answers, but these observations. The reason there are so many in shelters, and then in dog parks and on leashes, is that the huge dog fighting industry, which operates mostly underground, breeds huge numbers. Of course, they go for the killer dogs and either use the others as bait or recycle them in the general dog population. Many of these dogs are mild. A certain percent are deadly, as Brad's photo illustrates. Recently picking up some co-op artisanal butter for my wife (she also churns her own on occasion) I had to enter a fenced area with a pit bull and a dog as big as a pony, some kind of mix of large breeds. I'd been assured in advance that they were okay, but I took time to size it up for myself, and settle down so I wasn't putting out anxiety. The pit bull had a playful amble, a sweet smile, and seemed fine over the fence. The enormous dog, likewise, behaved in a hospitable way. So being very careful with the gate, slipping in and getting it re-chained, I ventured in and picked up our butter, which then I had to lower over outside the fence to keep it from becoming a doggy feast. I love critters. I love (most) pigs, but like bacon and pork too. But I am cautious and respectful in all cases. I've know of house cats that go crazy and do dire injury to their keepers, and any cat can do serious damage to people who don't know cats and don't observe proper cat manners. Okay, enough. No categorical answers on pit bulls from me.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
mso489 - I wasn't trying to start feces with the blog but I figured that it would "trigger" someone. I almost didn't post it on here because of that but then again, I did warn people.
My daily attire is normally shorts, t-shirts with a variety of burn holes, sandals and my USCG ball cap. I have noticed that when I put in the effort to dress nicer (as my wife says) people are friendlier. The drawback is the past couple of weekends when we were out wandering in antique/collectible shops, women would always smile and say hello to me as I walked by. The wife wasn't too happy about that.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yes dress makes people have different opinions of you. Reminds me of the time my Grandfather went to the sale barn to buy a a Bramaha Bull, he went in his clean patched overalls, Stockmans Steston, and the Owner tried to steer him to a cheaper bull. Finally the owner asked his Partner if that old man would have enough money to buy that bull, reply was He'd better he owns half the Bank. This was In the Fifties and he just had won a Tresspassing case against a Major Pipeline company. 100,000$ in the Fifties was a lot of money.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I was asked to cite sources, so here's just one: http://dogtime.com/dog-health/general/1220-american-pit-bull-terrier-temperament-dog-bites
Yes, all dogs can bite, and some bites are worse than others. But to claim that pit bulls are bred for aggression is just not true. First of all, there are several breeds that are lumped into the category of "pit bull". Second, if a dog was bred for aggression, it would not be able to be handled or bred. The breeds included in the "bully breed" category have been bred to be easily trained. Dog bites are generally due to poor handling and training; the problem almost always lies on the other end of the leash.
This is an issue that some take seriously. While you may see it as "sarcasm", I feel the need to call out a falsehood when confronted with it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Several people were mauled and a few children have been killed by Pitbulls in my town. You'll never convince me these were just misunderstood animals. Btw, I'd never have a wolf as a pet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.