PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
We've spoken about the damages to aging bacteria by bringing the tobacco up to a high temperature.

What if one stoved the tobacco then added a bit of perique to it? Even a small amount would reintroduce some amount of bacterial activity and begin to colonize, yes?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
We've spoken about the damages to aging bacteria by bringing the tobacco up to a high temperature.

What if one stoved the tobacco then added a bit of perique to it? Even a small amount would reintroduce some amount of bacterial activity and begin to colonize, yes?

Biochemist by training here. Bringing anything to 70C for 30+ minutes is Pasteurization, and will destroy most bacteria, yeasts and enzymes, but not bacterial or fungal spores. 120C with pressure will destroy pretty much anything, including spores.

As far as I recall Perique fermentation includes colonization from a yeast, Pichia anomala. I doubt adding a bit of Perique to stoved tobacco will do something biochemical to it, but it could improve it as Perique does with most things!

Personally I think the changes to tobacco under heat and steam are largely mechanical and chemical, not biochemical. Perique is biochemical change, Cavendish is not. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you stove and seal the tobacco will be sterile but this doesn't mean it won't continue to change over time. If you want to really stop ANY change from happening to a substance you need to store it in liquid nitrogen but that's besides the point.

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I just threw in a batch. I smoked a bowl of the 2018 LTF and it is good, but not mind blowing. I was willing to sacrifice for a chocolate note. I smoked a bowl of the Sutliff VA slices: markedly improved in 3 years, but not mind blowing. Willing to sacrifice. Also in the oven: C&D yorktown, winchester, red odessa and star of east gold. PS Cube cut and bulls eye. Comoys cask 4 navy. House should smell good at least. If the wife doesn't kill me, I will report back!
Realized as I grabbed my comparison jar today I smoked a bowl of 2018 LNF, not twist! Ha! I need to look for another jar of LTF, I think I still have one. Anyhow... I smoked the stoved today: PS cube cut on the way in. I likey! I used to smoke alot of PSCC. Stoving.... deepened? it. It was just accentuated, in a pleasant way. And for having not smoked it much recently, I didn't puff hot char balls all over my lap while driving. So theres that. Way home I had Yorktown. I was unimpressed with that. Not much too it, sipping or no. I think it improved it to where I didn't set it down. Still not complex, but it has a high nasal cracker herbalness I found myself enjoying. Now smoking the LTF. I likey... as above, I have not touched LTF in a while and will dig it out to compare. But I don;t want to set this down!!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
PS LBF this AM. Remarkable transformation... raisin toast. dry, almost burnt but not quite in a peculiarly spectacular way. Sutliff VA on the way home. Good, but not earth shattering. A little thin and harsh. But the raisin toast. Hm. I will go back to that again.
It’s a fun little experiment, especially with blends that you know from experience age well. In any event, it brings yet another dimension to our hobby that that helps to keep it interesting. Let us know if you find any other blends that go through a magic transformation from the process, like LTF and LBF do. Me, I’m too darn busy at work to do any experimental baking these days. Enjoy, and thanks for the updates and your thoughts.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Three more jars just went in. One is Esoterica Margate, one is MB Latakia Rolls (the one they just released a few weeks ago), and the last one is the 2021 MB Burley London Blend with a heavy dose of Kahlúa.
Let us know the results. Margate is the one English blend that I did not care for and I’m interested in the outcome.

Reactions: ofafeather

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
First bowl of “Home Stoved LTF” This is awesome. Sweeter, smoother, tasty! I liked LTF before a little, but I think I love it now. I want to try stoving some other stuff now. Toda Raba, Gamzulatovah!

Barrel, can’t wait to hear how Englishes turn out.

• Love

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
First bowl of “Home Stoved LTF” This is awesome. Sweeter, smoother, tasty! I liked LTF before a little, but I think I love it now. I want to try stoving some other stuff now. Toda Raba, Gamzulatovah!

Barrel, can’t wait to hear how Englishes turn out.
Bevakasha, jttnk! It is by far one of my favorite flake tobaccos after it is stoved. It is what I had hoped many of the dark flakes I’ve tried would’ve taste like. Try LBF next as it produces very good results.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
While some may consider it blasphemous, I’m going to do another batch tonight and give it a substantial amount of Blanton’s. I know, I know. I should drink it and not experiment with it... Oh well.

To be fair - I have no idea how any of this is going to turn out. I’ve only stoved and then smoked two blends before and in both instances, it turned out great. Admittedly, I’m just messing around with the alcohol additions, so I may be ruining otherwise good tobacco. But, I don’t care. I also just picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream and I’m wondering what that might do to a blend. Either way, I’ve got a pile of tobacco that needs to be jarred, so this seems like a logical step in that process.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Go for it. But it is seriously good in coffee.

I’m gonna try that, too. But I notice you say put some into the coffee. Am I doing it wrong? I’d planned to put a splash of coffee in the bourbon cream?

Back to the topic at hand - any suggestions on what tobacco, or what style of tobacco, to try stoving with some Blanton’s in it? I did WCC Deluxe Crumble Cut with some Buffalo Trace, because that combination seemed to make sense. Was thinking about trying it with something other than a Burley blend, but figured I’d ask to see if anyone has any ideas before I do it...

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I’m gonna try that, too. But I notice you say put some into the coffee. Am I doing it wrong? I’d planned to put a splash of coffee in the bourbon cream?

Back to the topic at hand - any suggestions on what tobacco, or what style of tobacco, to try stoving with some Blanton’s in it? I did WCC Deluxe Crumble Cut with some Buffalo Trace, because that combination seemed to make sense. Was thinking about trying it with something other than a Burley blend, but figured I’d ask to see if anyone has any ideas before I do it...
From my cellar, I would try Marlin Flake. It already got a rough edge that I’d like to stove out and the addition of Blanton’s just seems right.

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
@gamzultovah

I did jars of PS LTF, Sutliff Virginia Slices, and Newminster 400. Makes a noticeable difference on all 3. Gives them a "deeper, richer, smoother" taste. I can't taste 40 different blades of grass and stewed fruit.....I have the taste buds of a goat. However, I can certainly notice the changes and in my opinion, it is better than "fresh" versions of all 3. Thanks again for posting this method.....I'll be trying more blends in the future.