PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Remember, the key is to let it sit for a minimum of two weeks. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
I am going to have to set a reminder somewhere. Two weeks can be an eternity in my life. Easter is coming, though. It will be a good opportunity to smoke through it all. I have other jars of most of it if I do not know it well from memory. I need to plan a cook for Easter as well. Some slab of animal needs to slowly rendered over coals.

Oh, and the welding gloves I use for smoker/grilling works great for the process of pulling rings off hot jars and resealing them.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've "stoved" Sun Bear in sealed Mason jar using sous vide at 200F for 300 minutes with very tasty results. Let jar sit unopened for 2 weeks after pulling it from the water bath.

This raises questions. I’m guessing when you sous vide it, the ring has to be super tight to keep water from coming in. When you do it in the oven, you use a loose fitting cover.

Is the loose aluminum foil to keep the jar from cracking if/when it expands slightly at that temperature, or does it have to do with pressure? Is the process the same with sous vide vs. an oven? Now I’m really curious...

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
This raises questions. I’m guessing when you sous vide it, the ring has to be super tight to keep water from coming in. When you do it in the oven, you use a loose fitting cover.

Is the loose aluminum foil to keep the jar from cracking if/when it expands slightly at that temperature, or does it have to do with pressure? Is the process the same with sous vide vs. an oven? Now I’m really curious...
I just hand tightened it pretty good and set a rock on top to keep the jar submerged. No water entered.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019

For my method, the aluminum foil is there to keep as much moisture in as possible.

Reactions: ofafeather

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I am pretty sure that just 200F is not going to make a Mason jar explode.

The temperature alone, obviously not. But it depends on what’s sealed inside of it and how it reacts to 200F.

My point was only that if the OP isn’t using a jar lid and sealing it tightly for a specific reason, is the process changed, at all, by someone else being required to seal the jar semi-tightly in order to submerge the jar in water to stove the tobacco.

The temperature alone, obviously not. But it depends on what’s sealed inside of it and how it reacts to 200F.

My point was only that if the OP isn’t using a jar lid and sealing it tightly for a specific reason, is the process changed, at all, by someone else being required to seal the jar semi-tightly in order to submerge the jar in water to stove the tobacco.
I did this the other day, and just kept the original lid. Mason Jars can take a LOT of pressure. I've canned whole okra and put the wrong jigger on the pressure cooker, and had all of the contents slip between the lid and ring without disrupting the lids or rings. That was Huge pressure that could have exploded, but the jars were fine. I also know folks who have bottled beer in Mason Jars to have them blow the lids off because of reactivated yeast. Those are pressures around 30+ lbs. The lids will give long before the jars break. If that had of happened to a beer bottle, it would have become a bomb.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
And there is a difference between cooking under pressure in a sealed container or not.
Hmm...good question. I’m not sure. I know that there’s more involved with pressing and stoving tobaccos, but that’s above my pay grade. I’m only tweaking blends...at the moment.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Currently stoving my own blend of Sutliff 515 red, 707 sweet, Elizabethan match, and a pinch of McClelland blending Turkish Ribbon.
I have a slightly different method. I interpret stoving more as dry panning than baking, so I load a pint jar, leaving room to shake everything up, and put it on a coffee warmer. I just keep an eye on it and shake it occasionally until it looks the color I want it.