Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Did this some 6 months ago with Capstan blue, felt it really improved the blend, made it bready and sweeter.
Capstan Blue is next on my list to stove. I normally go through every known machination in order to get a tobacco to smoke to my liking before cellar, forgot and hope; and stoving is the most extreme part in this process. Capstan Blue fresh (to me) is dry, tart and slightly harsh (it kind of tastes like dry, middle of the road champagne to me), but allow it to dry to a crisp and fully rub it out until it is fine, fluffy strands, and it smokes both sweet(er) and cool. I also notice that it smokes better in a tall, narrow chambered pipe. Because Capstan comes in such a well made and well sealed tin, I think I’m going to stove it directly in its tin. A first for me. I’ll post my results once I get around to doing it. Kudos to you for not putting up with what you don’t like...even if it is a storied blend.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Nice tutorial! Do you have any pictures of it after it has sat for 2 weeks? Does it look dark like the usual "stoved virginia" we'd expect from a manufacturer?
My pleasure. Stoved Luxury Bullseye Flake turns almost as black as coal while Luxury Twist Flake only darkens just slightly. I was concerned about this so I stoved the other 1/2 lb. at 200 degrees for 2 hrs with no noticeable additional darkening.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Good Show!? I've never got round to this 'stoving' malarkey but after seeing this, must give it a go. I'm going to give Capstan a whirl I think, as I've been disappointed with how it's aged. Due, I suspect to the chemicals/preservatives it's been treated with. Would you pop the tin before stoving or leave it sealed?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Good Show!? I've never got round to this 'stoving' malarkey but after seeing this, must give it a go. I'm going to give Capstan a whirl I think, as I've been disappointed with how it's aged. Due, I suspect to the chemicals/preservatives it's been treated with. Would you pop the tin before stoving or leave it sealed?
I’ve never stoved in a tin before, only in Mason Jars. From what I’ve read from people who have, you have a 50/50 chance of the tin popping from the pressure. I’m going to leave mine sealed in the tin and wrap it in aluminum foil to mitigate any loss in case the tin does pop. I will only try stoving one tin as I have found a way to smoke Capstan Blue that is at least, agreeable to me.

If you have a bunch of tins that you’d like to stove, I would suggest popping them and transferring the contents to a Mason jar. This would be the safest bet. Please let me know how you make out.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Also, let me state that I have stoved tobaccos that have not improved by the process. Eric Stokkebye 4th Generation 1855 being one of them. This blend is a blowtorch on the mouth when fresh and even after stoving, showed no improvement whatsoever. I am aging it a year in a Mason jar but after that, it’s going in the garden if it doesn’t behave.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Capstan Blue is next on my list to stove. I normally go through every known machination in order to get a tobacco to smoke to my liking before cellar, forgot and hope; and stoving is the most extreme part in this process. Capstan Blue fresh (to me) is dry, tart and slightly harsh (it kind of tastes like dry, middle of the road champagne to me), but allow it to dry to a crisp and fully rub it out until it is fine, fluffy strands, and it smokes both sweet(er) and cool. I also notice that it smokes better in a tall, narrow chambered pipe. Because Capstan comes in such a well made and well sealed tin, I think I’m going to stove it directly in its tin. A first for me. I’ll post my results once I get around to doing it. Kudos to you for not putting up with what you don’t like...even if it is a storied blend.
Sadly I had high hopes for Capstan but it did very little for me, and won't be buying it again. It simply had no taste, though it smells incredible from the tin.

Stoving it for about 3 hours at around 70 degrees made it smell very sweet, very bready. Pity is the taste didn't carry through much, only in about the last couple of puffs.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Sadly I had high hopes for Capstan but it did very little for me, and won't be buying it again. It simply had no taste, though it smells incredible from the tin.

Stoving it for about 3 hours at around 70 degrees made it smell very sweet, very bready. Pity is the taste didn't carry through much, only in about the last couple of puffs.
Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to try stoving Capstan Blue at 190 degrees for 2 hours. I will let you know how I make out.

Reactions: ofafeather

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Nice, would like to hear how it went. Something else - this is the first and only blend I stoved, and I did it in a sealed jar as I'd already opened the tin. I figured not reaching 100 degrees C meant there was no risk of explosion. Otherwise visually it went as your photos show: a lot of moisture which got reabsorbed over time. I found it came out sort of rubbery, and took longer to dry to smokeable than prior to stoving.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019

As far as Virginia’s/VaPers go, this is what I’ve found works best for me:
Rattray’s Old Gowrie
Rattray’s Brown Clunee
Rattray’s Hal O’ The Wynd
WCC Old Dominion
WCC #558
WCC Rouxgaroux
Reiner Gold
G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill
C&D Cajun Kake
KBV Verge Engine Overdrive (OOP)

Admittedly, I have not tried most of what is out there, but it seems (judging by Capstan) that we both have similar tastes, so I hope that this helps? PS. stove some PS LTF, you won’t be disappointed. ?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Thanks for posting this. I wonder if there’s a difference between sealed and unsealed preparations. I know that some companies stove under pressure, which could make a difference. Also.l, rubbed vs flake. Captain would be a good one to experiment with since you can get both versions.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I wonder if adding a particularly dried out tobacco, along with a few drops of water, might make “home-stoving” a viable means of rehydrating an otherwise lost blend.

It seems like exposing the leaf to a hot, humid environment and then allowing it to cool naturally might be a good way to evenly redistribute the moisture throughout the product...

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I wonder if adding a particularly dried out tobacco, along with a few drops of water, might make “home-stoving” a viable means of rehydrating an otherwise lost blend.

It seems like exposing the leaf to a hot, humid environment and then allowing it to cool naturally might be a good way to evenly redistribute the moisture throughout the product...
I can’t see why not? If the heat is low enough (say 100 degrees) I don’t see how the flavor would change either?

To rehydrate any tobacco, I normally take a fully charged Xikar (Crystal 50 humidifier) and lock it in a Mason jar with the dry tobacco. In a week or two, the tobacco is always more than hydrated.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I can’t see why not? If the heat is low enough (say 100 degrees) I don’t see how the flavor would change either?

To rehydrate any tobacco, I normally take a fully charged Xikar (Crystal 50 humidifier) and lock it in a Mason jar with the dry tobacco. In a week or two, the tobacco is always more than hydrated.

100%. But that doesn’t make the kitchen smell like wonderful.

• Haha
Reactions: ofafeather

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada

Yep it works great and you get a rehydrated tobacco in hours instead of days. Can also use alcohol too instead of water to add some flavour. Using a spray bottle will help to evenly distribute the moisture and allow for less time in the oven

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Well, my first attempt at stoving didn't go 'quite' as well as I'd hoped. Lol. Popped a sealed tin of 8 year old Capstan into the oven at gas mark 5 (what I thought was close to 190) for 2&1/2 hours. The smell was wonderful but unfortunately the flakes came out as dry as burnt toast. Still, the flakes do now look better at least. Got them rehydrating in a jar now, see what they say tomorrow.
image.jpeg