PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Looks like it just passed. Or was that a procedure to move forward to vote?
Yes, for now, I believe:

Bill NumberStatusFull TextProceedings
H. Res. 866StatusTextView Details
TimeActivity
2:45:13 P.M.Motion to reconsider laid on the table Agreed to without objection.
2:45:11 P.M.On agreeing to the resolution Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: 210 - 200 (Roll no. 75).
2:38:48 P.M.On ordering the previous question Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: 224 - 189 (Roll no. 74).
2:02:45 P.M.Considered as unfinished business. H. Res. 866 — "Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 2339) to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the sale and marketing of tobacco products, and for other purposes."
1:06:26 P.M.POSTPONED PROCEEDINGS - At the conclusion of debate on H. Res. 866, the Chair put the question on ordering the previous question and by voice vote, announced that the ayes had prevailed. Mr. Burgess demanded the yeas and nays and the Chair postponed further proceedings on the question on ordering the previous question until a time to be announced.
12:20:57 P.M.DEBATE - The House proceeded with one hour of debate on H. Res. 866.
12:19:22 P.M.Considered as privileged matter. H. Res. 866 — "Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 2339) to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the sale and marketing of tobacco products, and for other purposes."

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Looks like it just passed. Or was that a procedure to move forward to vote?
Essentially it's a "vote to have a vote". Cue to 27:55 at this C-SPAN video for explanation. The full House (House of Representatives, not Aunty Becky Full House) will debate it tomorrow. Cue to 28:20 for some commentary on the bill.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I got a response from my letter:

{Dear ChuckleHead}

“Thank you for contacting me to share your views. I appreciate that you took the time to share with me your perspective on the issues that are important to you. Learning about your experiences and priorities helps me better represent all northeast Iowans in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The health and safety of my constituents will always be a top priority. I am a strong believer in policymaking based on the best available science, and I am deeply concerned by anything that poses a health risk to Iowans, especially children. There have been several cases of illness and death tied to e-cigarette use, and the use of these devices appears to pose significant long-term health risks. Until we can pinpoint the exact cause of these deaths and illnesses, we must ensure that the e-cigarette industry is not targeting its advertising towards children and enact policies that keep these products out of the hands of young people under the age of 18. I will keep your views in mind should any legislation related to vaping and tobacco products come before the full House of Representatives.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or concerns. It is an honor to represent you, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.”

I responded in an intelligent fashion and basically stated the vaping issue is with the illegal thc cartridges off the street causing deaths/illnesses and that I have never vaped and do not give a poo about it. I am upset pipe tobacco is being drawn into this. It is a small fraction of tobacco sales. Use some common sense for God’s sake about everyone being affected by this bill. I mentioned the right to choose as an adult and not being interested in their new right to buy weed.

I expect it to pass the House but not the Senate.

This time around.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois

{Dear ChuckleHead}

“Thank you for contacting me to share your views. I appreciate that you took the time to share with me your perspective on the issues that are important to you. Learning about your experiences and priorities helps me better represent all northeast Iowans in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The health and safety of my constituents will always be a top priority. I am a strong believer in policymaking based on the best available science, and I am deeply concerned by anything that poses a health risk to Iowans, especially children. There have been several cases of illness and death tied to e-cigarette use, and the use of these devices appears to pose significant long-term health risks. Until we can pinpoint the exact cause of these deaths and illnesses, we must ensure that the e-cigarette industry is not targeting its advertising towards children and enact policies that keep these products out of the hands of young people under the age of 18. I will keep your views in mind should any legislation related to vaping and tobacco products come before the full House of Representatives.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or concerns. It is an honor to represent you, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.”

I responded in an intelligent fashion and basically stated the vaping issue is with the illegal thc cartridges off the street causing deaths/illnesses and that I have never vaped and do not give a poo about it. I am upset pipe tobacco is being drawn into this. It is a small fraction of tobacco sales. Use some common sense for God’s sake about everyone being affected by this bill. I mentioned the right to choose as an adult and not being interested in their new right to buy weed.

This time around.
I can't believe they would dox you like that. Well,,,, your secret's safe with us ChuckleHead :)

Oct 7, 2016
Looks like the Bill might have some opposition from the Democratic side of the aisle. If Menthol cigarettes cause this abomination to sink, I will go out and buy a whole carton of Kools, despite not having smoked more than a pack of cigarettes total in over 10 years. The only issue is should I get Colt 45 or Olde English 800 to go with them?
See here

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Looks like the Bill might have some opposition from the Democratic side of the aisle. If Menthol cigarettes cause this abomination to sink, I will go out and buy a whole carton of Kools, despite not having smoked more than a pack of cigarettes total in over 10 years. The only issue is should I get Colt 45 or Olde English 800 to go with them?
See here
I drank some Olde E back in the day, early 90’s. Once you got used to it wasn't that bad...if I remember correctly. I can’t remember exactly as I was drinking Olde E.

Last edited:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks Steve! Mine is sent.

By the way, I wouldn’t call that “wasted time” my phone has auto fill and it took about 15 seconds of my waking life away from me... but damn it, I enjoyed every second of it. ;)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

{Dear ChuckleHead}

This time around.
Yes, basically the same canned, BS response you get from your 'representatives' nowadays. I got a bunch of those when I signed/sent a letter to all MPs regarding the plain packaging for tobacco products a year ago, a bill which, unsurprisingly, passed.

In other words:
  • What you do: politely write them with your concerns.
  • What they do: politely tell you to: ?

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Deleted due to political statements that have nothing to do with the OP - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Casual

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Just looked it up, it passed in Congress and onto the Senate, and it looks like Morelle voted yea so he lost my vote. I don't think Trump would veto this, he seems to be against smoking and drinking unfortunately, but we will see if it gets that far.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife works for a politician. Email letters are essentially worthless, they get sent to a folder with a 1000+ other emails, and an auto-response is generated.

A printed, mailed letter gets attention sometimes.

For one bill under consideration in Maryland this session, she's had over 10,000 emails (turns out, no, we don't want to increase taxes in Maryland).

Your best way to stop these kind of laws is make a donation to the organization's lobbyist fighting them.

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
When does the Senate make their decision?

It has to make it out of a Senate committee first. Which may not happen. I believe they have until the end of this session to get it out of committee and vote, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
It has to make it out of a Senate committee first. Which may not happen. I believe they have until the end of this session to get it out of committee and vote, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
So forgive my ignorance, its been a long time since I studied this stuff. If it doesnt make it out of committee before the session ends does it die or wait till next session and get a chance then?

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
So forgive my ignorance, its been a long time since I studied this stuff. If it doesnt make it out of committee before the session ends does it die or wait till next session and get a chance then?

It dies if it is not passed by the end of the session. In that case I suspect the house will roll it into a spending bill which is the way more likely way to get it into law. That's how they got the 21 age limit last year. Otherwise the house would have to pass a new bill in the next session.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Companion bill introduced January in the Senate S.3174

Pipe Stories​
Published by
The Story Teller's Pipe©
March 11th, 2020 edition​
Z8BzCEQ
Website News​
Reports coming from political circles regarding H.R. 2339 is that Senate leaders have been informed by the WH the Trump administration does not support the bill. Also, on January 9th, Senate Democrats quietly introduced a companion bill - S. 3174. While it is not expected to have Senate Republican support, we continue to strongly encourage all pipers to contact their representatives and senators to let them know you do not support S. 3174 and to voice your disapproval of the FDA's unconstitutional seizure of private property without due process (the FDA still has not released the Gawith Hoggarth shipment it confiscated last month). Where does it end? Will the FDA stop at confiscating pipe tobacco shipments from Europe that it deems are not in compliance with the vague/undefined language of the deeming regs, or will the agency take the next step and begin seizing tobacco products from US manufacturers/distributors/retailers? If Congress allows the FDA to take such unconstitutional actions, what other federal agencies will be allowed to do so as well?

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.