PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimestoneCowboy

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2021
NV, USA
The wire in a pipe cleaner will rust and I wouldn't want it crumbling off in the airway to draw into my mouth the next time I smoked the pipe.
Adding 11% chromium to the cleaning wire would solve that. Maybe some pipe cleaners already incorporate stainless into their cleaners. But people wouldn't toss them and they might lose business as a result.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Please Mods shut this thread down. It’s just pure bullshit. The OP doesn’t release he is being made fun of.

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
You can use Q-tips for the mortise area. Some of my pipes will fit a Q-tip all the way through the shank airway, too.

I have some shank brushes from Amazon that I also use. Dip the brush in alcohol and then scrub the shank and mortise out. Rinse the brush and the pipe out immediately with hot water. Clean and cheap.

I limit myself to 4 pipe cleaner per day because of the expense. I smoke Cherokee Red tobacco exclusively because I can afford it.

It all works out for briars.

Do the same with your stems. Clean them all with the same alcohol-dipped pipe cleaner, rinsing each time both stem and cleaner.

One pipe cleaner can easily clean 20 stems.

The reason I use 4 pipe cleaners per day now is that I smoke cobs a lot. I don't generally rinse those. So, I've been dry cleaning all my pipes. Two to four pipes per day.

Today, I have smoked out of two different pipes. Two to four cleaners tonight at cleaning time.

A lot of folks don't understand that smoking used to be cheap. It still is, if you know how to do it.

For those who say to quit smoking, there isn't any good response. The gentleman isn't trying to not smoke. He is trying to smoke in an affordable manner.

This is a pipe forum. People here smoke. We come from every economic class.

I would rather smoke than breathe air, or even eat, for that matter.

The reason I keep it simple and affordable is because other people, people who count on me, have needs which come before mine. So, smoking is, for me, a simple pastime. Simple as it is, I wouldn't quit smoking for any reason. The spiritual, physical, and psychological benefits are innumerable.

Anyhow, if we're talking briars, you can get some brushes and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, some napkins or Q-tips, and you can keep your pipes clean by using a pipe cleaner per day. It might last you a week, even, because it gets rinsed repeatedly while you're cleaning.

Water is the obvious equalizer here. Water makes everything right.

Cob stems don't hold up to alcohol cleaning, in my experience, so they use up more pipe cleaners.

You can use water and soap on a cob stem, though. Maybe use one cleaner for those and see how long it lasts.

Think water, alcohol, and brushes and Q-tips.

That's the place to start.

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
That's why I use moonshine or rum. Cleans without damaging acrylics and plastics.
I didn't know that, Embers. Do you think it's because you're using a lower alcohol percentage (my iso is 91%)? Or are you using undiluted moonshine?

I'll have to go by the liquor store soon and see what all they've got.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I didn't know that, Embers. Do you think it's because you're using a lower alcohol percentage (my iso is 91%)? Or are you using undiluted moonshine?

I'll have to go by the liquor store soon and see what all they've got.
I'm thinking it's the type of alcohol, ethanol versus methanol. Triple distilled moonshine here.

20191213_041217.jpg

LimestoneCowboy

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2021
NV, USA
Reactions: Dave4211

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
I've used BJ Long cleaners as tomato ties and they definitely rust.
Semi-related. I have pole beans climbing up my front porch, so I built a trellis out of twine. Great big squares of twine.

Well, we have a litter of kittens that are about three months old. Jack the Kitten tore up part of my trellis, and then he somehow got himself all tangled up in twine and hung himself by a back leg, way up the air, from a strand of twine. He completely lost his mind and attempted to murder his rescuers.

I was asleep.

Mom wasn't too happy about any of it. She was one of the rescuers, and Jack bit the hound dog shit out of her.

So, I cut the whole mess down and just let the bean plants spill over the railing and onto the porch.

It's late in the season, anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.