PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I'm breaking in my Doctor Grabow according to the instructions on the package - with the first three bowls only half-filled. Then alternating full and half full for several more smokes. Yesterday's smoke was much better - with no burned tongue or roof of mouth. That being said, there's no question that my tobacco is a bit moist, and I'm going to let the next bowl dry out a couple days before smoking. I had to re-light nearly constantly.
I'm not going to smoke every day. I'm thinking once or twice per week - at most. And I won't smoke all day - just one bowl. If I get the sense that I'm becoming too fond of either the tobacco itself or the nicotine, I'll stop. I see this as a means of slowing down and relaxing. I'd also like to find some pipe smokers in the Cleveland area - but it's mostly cigars here. There's a shop just 15 minutes from my house with a smokers lounge, but again - it's cigar smokers, and I'm not sure how they'd take to a pipe smoker joining them. I guess I could ask???
I've ordered another Doctor Grabow which I imagine will arrive sometime towards the end of next week. I've also ordered several Dunhill tobaccos. I think that with two Doctor Grabows and a Missouri Meershaum corncob, I have all the pipes I'll need for a while. I'm not sure what it would take to destroy a pipe - but if I do, I'd rather destroy a $30 or less pipe rather than a $100 Savinelli or Stanwell.
I appreciate all the suggestions.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
In my experience, tongues (like pipes) need to be broken in. Also, for beginners pipe packing is the opposite of vaginas. The looser the better.

Aug 14, 2012
To minimize bite you can move your tongue out of the smoke stream. Press the part that is sensitive against the side or roof of your mouth. Then it won't get bitten.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Sounds like with those purchases you are well on your way Andy. Good on yah! let us know how your progress goes.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Where in Cleveland are you? I used to hang out at Cousin's in Avon fairly regularly, but it's been awhile.
If I could, I'd try to talk you out of buying more Dr. Grabows. I'm sorry, but they're just cheap pipes; you're not going to get the best results.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The mouth and tongue can heal remarkably fast and you are smart to take a break if you have a scorched tongue as there is no point in just repeating the experience over and over. All good advice on here and welcome to the forum! For what it's worth, one of my first pipes was a Dr. Grabow and it actually smoked pretty well after I ironed out some technique issues.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
If I get the sense that I'm becoming too fond of either the tobacco itself or the nicotine, I'll stop.
I found this statement quite entertaining Andy. Welcome to the hobby and forum. I still get a bit smoke happy and get some tongue bite. Biotene does work well. I do a fast dry a lot. Put a batch of tobacco under a light for ten minutes(max) and pack er up. Slower pace(cadence) does increase the pleasure... but you better not listen/learn too much here...
...or you'll have to stop. hehe
smiley-laughing025.gif

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Just a side note. Peterson aromatics are heavily topped with flavors and have more tendencies for causing tongue bite for new smokers. I'd break in your tongue with something less harsh yet high in quality. Try a local bulk blend like 1Q for example.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Hey, Andya27 I started smoking not to long ago, I did the whole tongue bit thing and it was awful. Carter Hall seemed to be a put in the pipe light and smoke till ash with no special packing or anything. I bought a ton of different sample packs of higher quality tobacco. Here's some info that might help you that worked for me.

1. type of tobacco, get some Dunhill Nightcap, very soft smooth blend almost no bite in any pipe I've smoked.

2. try to find an older meerschaum pipe with a decent length stem like 5-6inch, they smoke very very cool and is a

super different experience to smoking my briars.

3. just tried a peterson system pipe I got used for 41 dollars today. Cleaned it and put some 3 nuns in it. 3 nuns

smoked hot and had tongue bite and didnt taste good at all in my Nording pipe. I about wrote it off. I tried it

in this Peterson and it is brilliant, so many different flavors I could taste before, The smoke was cool, and

flavorful.

4. like everyone else said, smoke slow, like sip it like you would out of a straw very slowly.

5. hit up ebay for deals on older pipes clean em up and have fun.

6. I've found my different pipes are good for different tobacco's, there is so much I've learned from reading the

threads on these forums.
Let me know if I can help you anymore Im still a noob and there are more experienced guys. Just PM me if you want.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Thanks, Carlweis. Always good to hear from someone else who is fairly new to this. The tongue thing is already getting much better. The idea of ebay for estate pipes is a good idea, and one I'll definitely consider. But will watch auctions for a while so I get a sense of what the prices should be.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Another thing to consider is the thickness of the wall on your bowl. Thin walls will tend to feel like holding a hot coal when smoked hard. This can make the learning process frustrating, and has more potential for ruining a pipe with a cracked bowl or blistering finish. Try and find a thick bowl, I found when I started it gave me a good handicap for regulating how to sip and tamp properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.