PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I don’t own any equipment & usually don’t mind a touch of previous ownership as I prefer a lived in look on my pipes. This is what I’ve done in the past & I’ve never had any issues...

1. Delicately ream chamber of excessive cake to desired thickness.
2. Cotton & Everclear in chamber overnight in bed of rice if needed to cure ?ing.
3. Use Everclear and soft & bristled pipe cleaners in the shank & stem until the cleaners come out with no residue.
4. Rinse the entire pipe thoroughly with warm water. Here I also take a soft toothbrush and ? to the bowl exterior.
5. Polish the bowl if you like with White Diamond & a soft buffing clothe until satisfied.
6. Micromesh pad the stem up the line.
7. Coat stem in Obsidian oil for an hour, then buff to a nice finish while watching a ? on TCM.
8. Enjoy your estate.?☕

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
The other smokers have pretty well covered this subject.I have used a drill bit to clear clogged shanks.A retort filled with Everclear works well on sludgy stems and shanks.Just wear some eye and hand protection.I have heard of using an ozone generator to kill any smell left after cleaning,but have not used one myself.Lastly,a good 3 to 4 week rest in a cool dry room after cleaning will do well in allowing any residuals to dissipate.

Reactions: captainsousie

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
We're supposed to clean estate pipes???

LOL. Just kidding.

Sanitation is a minimum and the rest depends on the condition of the pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
I try to use the least intrusive methods possible. Everything gets a ream and clean. Bowls get either alcohol or a retort. Sometimes they get a full alcohol soak and refinishing like this gnarly fellow.
36B4AECF-57EA-40C7-9D2D-6663ECBD02B5.jpegE516A6B1-58F5-4B66-B983-1463AA7FCC7A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.