PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
My pipes are cleaned after every smoke with twisted kitchen towel until it comes out clean, shank, chamber and rim. Stems are cleaned with pipe cleaners until they come out clean, and then left to dry for 24 hours.

When I notice the taste being a bit off, or they still smell noticeably after a day of drying I give them a warm to hot water wash, rubbing the chamber with an old toothbrush, finally I put a drop of dish liquid on the toothbrush and give them another brush - this brings out tons of crap, but the plus side is that after drying the pipes have the faintest of smells. Stems are cleaned with pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol, usually pharmacy-grade, pure ethanol that we keep in the bathroom.

I had a very persistent Captain Black ghost in two pipes my uncle gave me, he smoked CB in them for 20 years, any time I reached the heel of the chamber the taste of the tobacco would simply change to CB, wasn't chased out by Latakia, Gawith ropes, Lakelands, salt and alcohol - just the dish soap removed that ghost.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The soap and water is used sparingly and not for a long time. The mineral oil and smell of the wax maybe cover it up? I don't know, but it works for me.
Sometimes I think I must have a (overly?) sensitive smeller. When I was in college and taking organic structure elucidations lab, I could usually figure out which functional groups were in a compound by just taking a whiff of it. Murphy’s stinks to high-heaven to me.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Sometimes I think I must have a (overly?) sensitive smeller. When I was in college and taking organic structure elucidations lab, I could usually figure out which functional groups were in a compound by just taking a whiff of it. Murphy’s stinks to high-heaven to me.
Agreed. I can tell when a pipe has been cleaned with it.

Reactions: captainsousie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very hot tap water and a bit of dish detergent will go a long way to freshening up a pipe, be it a filthy estate or a prized pipe you keep clean. Saves on pipe cleaners and no worry about alcohol damaging the briar.

Mineral oil and/or wax will be finishing touches if you wish.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

Are you a chemist? I'm a biochemist by training but did two years' postdoc in a chemistry lab, amines, thiols, acetates, phenols all are very distinctive :)

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Are you a chemist? I'm a biochemist by training but did two years' postdoc in a chemistry lab, amines, thiols, acetates, phenols all are very distinctive :)
I have a BS in biochem, with way more hours than it really took to get my degree. Some grad level courses, but never really turned them into anything. But no, I’m not a chemist by trade.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Aug 1, 2012
In my experience, dish detergent can ghost a pipe way worse than the worst Lakeland. Worse than that, the ones suggesting to use dish soap and water...never mind, a substance that dries quickly with virtually no residue used in proper amounts has to be worse than ****ing dish soap. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
In my experience, dish detergent can ghost a pipe way worse than the worst Lakeland. Worse than that, the ones suggesting to use dish soap and water...never mind, a substance that dries quickly with virtually no residue used in proper amounts has to be worse than ****ing dish soap. :rolleyes:
Putting any kind of soap in the chamber or airway sounds like a bad idea to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I often use a drop of detergent on a scouring sponge to clean the rim. When rinsing it after, a small about of very diluted detergent is flushed through the airway. No muss, no fuss, no trace. But hot water is key.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've used alcohol for an initial cleaning and then just water cleaning forever after. Worked fine on estate pipes until I tried it one of those old Grabow Color Dukes. That was a mistake.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.