PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have too many pipes by any sane assessment, so I'd just grab another. However, my dad always smoked just one pipe at a time until burnout, and clearly thought that by the time he knocked out the ash and repacked, the pipe would be cool enough, and he got pretty good mileage out of briar pipes, maybe a little less good out of cobs. Either works, but if you have a few pipes, or a few score, I'd just pack the next one.

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
A second bowl back to back in the same pipe never tastes as good as the first.
My preference is medium to small bowls so when at home I just grab another pipe.

At social functions I usually smoke aromatics which can leave a touch of moisture, so I usually have two cobs with me. When I finish one bowl I clean it and leave a pipe cleaner in the stem then smoke the 2nd cob, rinse and repeat.

This works much better with MM cobs than briars IMO.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
I am grilling outside and really want to keep the smoke going but I almost at the bottom can I reload or get another pipe an start fresh?
If it's decently cool...repack and enjoy. Meerschaums, Kirsten's and Cobs are especially nice for this. Or swirl a new bowl on a metal pipe (C.Y. Benz, Falcon, Kirsten, etc.) If a briar, I error on the cautious side and get a rested pipe. I love the meers and cobs for repacking and continuous enjoyment without pause on most occasions!

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I am grilling outside and really want to keep the smoke going but I almost at the bottom can I reload or get another pipe an start fresh?
I have smoked 2 bowls in the same pipe before allowing only enough rest to ensure the pipe was completely cooled from the previous smoke (15 or 20min) and never had any issues. Really, the only issues with a quick repack:
1) If you smoke really hot and don't rest the pipe it can suffer spider webbing, hot spots, or eventually burnout.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I have smoked 2 bowls in the same pipe before allowing only enough rest to ensure the pipe was completely cooled from the previous smoke (15 or 20min) and never had any issues. Really, the only issues with a quick repack:
1) If you smoke really hot and don't rest the pipe it can suffer spider webbing, hot spots, or eventually burnout.
I ran out of time to edit:
2) If you don't allow the pipe to rest it won't dry properly and can sour the pipe. If you have ever experienced an old spit bottle that has fermented, you know what that "sour" process results in. Same concept in your pipe.
I doubt a quick repack will cause any issues, not in my experience anyway. Just don't smoke really hot on the same pipe continuously or let excess moisture build and sit in the pipe. Happy piping