PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I started pipes at 19, switched to darts until I was 32, then took 7 years off before returning to the pipe.
-- Pat

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Indirectly, when I was 4 years old. I'd snuggle up on my Grampa's lap while he smoke George Washington in an old pipe brought over from Ireland. I learned how to open the tin, load the pipe, and to this day, I hold my pipe the way Grampa did. I was 20 when I bought my first pipe, that was 43 years ago.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Picked up a pipe just before my 47th birthday, and just slightly after I joined this forum while doing research.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was in the 5th grade... 11 years old.

I asked my Dad if I could have a couple of puffs of his pipe.

I took one... and got one hell of a case of spins.

I tried to get down from his lap....

He said: "Where you going? You still have a puff comin'."
lol!
I had my first cigarette at age 10. My first pipe at age 13. I smoked cigarettes occasionally for years but I didn't touch a pipe again until the age of 49.

leg59

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
Greenville, SC
Never smoked cigarettes, been an occasional (5 or 6 a year) cigar smoker for about 10 years.

Just started with pipe smoking about 3 months ago. I'm not sure why I started, but it's been very enjoyable so far...

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I tried my dad's Red Man when I was 7, in the car on a winding mountain road. He didn't know what had happened. I didn't know what had hit me. I thought my mother was going to kill us both.
First cigarette around 10 or 11 - Camel unfiltered. Corncob pipe followed, as did Skoal.
I am now only a pipe-smoker, and happy about it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was 18. Started smoking cigarettes and pipes while in college. Gave up on the pipe in college when I nearly set my longish hippie hair on fire. Quit cigs cold in 1983 and eventually returned to pipe smoking around 1988-89.

puffinbilly

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
Germany
I went away to sea with the merchant navy at 16.

I worked with “Artie” the old carpenter who had been torpedoed in the North Atlantic during 1943. He was my hero; he smoked a pipe which smelt just like my uncle’s who was also a father figure for me. For three months I was forever scrounging a smoke from him and eventually bought my first pipe on a run ashore in Piraeus.
Bill

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My sister let me have a few drags off a clove way back in the 80's. I must have been 11 or12?

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
13. Smoked cigs off and on through the first three years of high school. Some cigars now and again but nothing too heavy. Started smoking more around 17-18yr and that's the time I joined the Army. I smoked cigs and the occasional cigar/pipe until I was about 25. I quit for 3yrs then went back to it after my divorce (wasn't stress related). I quit again for about 2yr then started again and I have no idea why. I smoked cigs again for about 3yr, then one night when working I lit a smoke and I didn't feel well. I started to dry-heave and got really dizzy to the point I had to sit side saddle in my car with the door open on the side of the road. It's funny now that I picture it lol. I quit smoking cigs that moment and haven't wanted one since. I find the smell of them pungent to the point of making my nose itch and sometimes sneezing. About three days after I quit I went into a store and bought a cheap brylon Medico pipe and a pouch of Captain Black White and a tin of EF. That was about 9mo ago. I don't have that pipe anymore I sold it about 3 weeks after starting back on the pipe. I went out and picked up a couple pipes, then I had two more given to me. The collection keeps growing and there's no turning back LOL!

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I started smoking cigarettes around 11 or 12. I have been either smoking or chewing tobacco ever since. Although, I haven't smoked a cigarette in 8 years. Can't seem to shake the chew though. If I could smoke my pipe inside at work and the house, i think it would be my only tobacco.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wow a lot more of you didn't start smoking till way later than i imagined. See my brother in law, is 16. Already smokes cigs occasionally, and what not. He is showing interest in my pipes. I don't know how to go about it, with out "contributing to a minor". Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.