How Often do you Really Need to Clean your Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

emac.917

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2024
Manila, Philippines
I smoke Peterson System pipes 95% of the time and besides cleaning the reservoir out with a pipe cleaner immediately after smoking I've never really needed to do much else. A cleaner through the stem every 5th smoke or so and that's it.

So, a pipe cleaner is enough to soak up the captured moisture. That’s promising.

I’m considering a Peterson System pipe for my next purchase, so I have been wondering about their maintenance.

Are there any other considerations for proper maintenance of a system pipe?

Reactions: Jon C.P.G.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Aside from enjoying filtered pipes I have always avoided the system pipes. The whole idea sounds unappealing to me but maybe its worth it.

Reactions: emac.917

Jon C.P.G.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2023
So, a pipe cleaner is enough to soak up the captured moisture. That’s promising.

I’m considering a Peterson System pipe for my next purchase, so I have been wondering about the maintenance of the system.

Are there any other considerations for proper maintenance of a system pipe?
Using the system pack to avoid charring the draft hole helps

And just cleaning the reservoir with a pipe cleaner you can use paper towel but I find that always leaves small bits of paper in the reservoir. Besides that you just maintain like any other pipe. I myself leave the stem out after I smoke a system for 12 to 24 hours but it isn't necessary it's Just something I do to let the reservoir totally dry out. This design was made during a time folks only had one pipe and smoked the bejesus out of it, hence why it uses the military mount and not a regular tenon and mortise. Easy to take apart, clean out and re pack for a smoke.

If you have a deluxe system with the chimney removing the chimney and giving the stem a clean with an untapered pipe cleaner every few smokes helps, again just like any other pipe. I personally would recommend going for a deluxe system as the chimney makes a world of difference from a system standard.

I tend to smoke certain blends in certain pipes as most others do with their normal pipes. I do think a system will ghost more because of the reservoir over time than any standard bent pipe because of the collection of moisture. I have pipes that are for blends that contain latakia, for burley only and Virginia and VaPer only, I'm not big on aromatics myself I only really will smoke Bagpipers dream once in a blue moon and I have a pipe for that.

1792 Flake is my personal favorite blend that I smoke more than anything else so naturally I have pipes specifically for that which I don't care about ghosting.

I don't have the palate for blend nuances others do so to enjoy the blends the best for me I have systems that are for specific types of tobacco so my uncultured self can appreciate them, basically.

• Love
Reactions: emac.917

Jon C.P.G.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2023
Aside from enjoying filtered pipes I have always avoided the system pipes. The whole idea sounds unappealing to me but maybe its worth it.
What idea? A cooler, drier smoke? 😆

They also make system pipes that take 9mm filters

Reactions: Choatecav

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
The idea of nasty stuff I have to clean out in between smokes. A filter is easy...pull it out and chuck it.

I dont own any petes yet but sooner or later it will happen. I went from Italian pipes to Danish pipes and currently Im trying not to buy more. I will fail. Maybe the next pipe will be a Pete...who knows.

crowbait

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
I'm guilty of being on the less cleaning end of things for sure. For the most part after a smoke, I just knock out the dottle, give the bowl a quick swipe, and a stern blow through the stem (with the bowl facing down) to clear any ash from the draft hole.

Thank being said, if something starts tasting off, its the pipe cleaner and vodka routine for the stem, and folded pipec leaner in the bowl is my standard procedure.

emac.917

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2024
Manila, Philippines
And just cleaning the reservoir with a pipe cleaner you can use paper towel but I find that always leaves small bits of paper in the reservoir. Besides that you just maintain like any other pipe. I myself leave the stem out after I smoke a system for 12 to 24 hours but it isn't necessary it's Just something I do to let the reservoir totally dry out. This design was made during a time folks only had one pipe and smoked the bejesus out of it, hence why it uses the military mount and not a regular tenon and mortise. Easy to take apart, clean out and re pack for a smoke.
Thanks for sharing this knowledge. I was worried about the complexity of the system being a headache to maintain, but this addresses my concerns. I suppose tech like this that’s survived for so long means something.

I personally would recommend going for a deluxe system as the chimney makes a world of difference from a system standard.
I’ll definitely look into the deluxe system then.

I do think a system will ghost more because of the reservoir over time than any standard bent pipe because of the collection of moisture.
Good to know.

Reactions: Jon C.P.G.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@jpmcwjr. So, after removing dottle or ash, I run very hot tap water into the bowl and out the stem. Then a paper towel in the chamber, pipe cleaner for the stem, Q-tip for mortise.

So I took your suggestion to flush with hot tap water. I flushed the hell out of two pipes. Took the finish right off. LOL. Good thing I was planning on polishing it.

View attachment 333973
When I water flush I set the flow such that it just fills the bowl without spilling over while the water pours out of the end of the shank. That’s kept the need to repolish to a minimum. When I need to renew the polish I just use some Halcyon or Paragon microcrystalline wax and it’s good as new.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Pipke

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm surprised this thread has been so civil with "water flushing" already mentioned.

There are two different pipe smokers. One camp believes that water should never touch a pipe. The other feels it's just fine.

In all truth, I think it's perfectly fine to flush a pipe with water.

But the thing is, when I first starting smoking briar, I dropped a pipe in a mug of coffee. It took me forever to bring back the shine. Since then, I never let water touch my pipes. I'm pretty sure I'm paranoid. It seems people flushing their pipe has no problem.
I haven’t tried the hot coffee flush. Was it Chock Full Of Nuts? Yuban?
Decaf?

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
What idea? A cooler, drier smoke? 😆

They also make system pipes that take 9mm filters

"Pipes are meant to be smoked, buying a pipe and not smoking it for future resale value is like not sleeping with your girlfriend so she's in better shape for the next guy." - Me
I agree with Crowbait that your quote is noteworthy.....

Didn't Socrates say something along that line....................? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: