How Often do you Really Need to Clean your Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Tap water has too much chlorine and lime. Here in my city, it would not work, as it would eventually end up with some uncomfortable aftertaste. Alcohol melts the scum, the oils, and does not moisten, as it evaporates, and leaves no trace of aftertaste. But if you enjoy a quality water, go ahead.

Reactions: Mike N

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I use water on a rare occasion. Only if its really dirty and Im willing to rewax the pipe. Im not against it. People can do what they want and Im good.

The more I smoke pipe tobacco the more I notice if a pipe is not clean. For me, part of the experience is maintaining pipes and keeping them looking their best as well. Everyone is different and thats cool too.

Reactions: Mike N and JOHN72

PApiper63

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2024
I had a long conversation with a pipe maker that is made pipes for over 35 years and makes A LOT of pipes. We talked about cleaning pipes and he stated that he thought in general people over cleaned their pipes and worried about it too much.
Now keep in mind that I generally smoke 6 to 10 bowls a day and each day I used two pipes, one is for aromatics and another is for non-aromatic blends. I own well over 30 pipes and in general I smoke my aromatics out of a straight billiard type pipe and my non-aromatics out of my bent pipes. Regardless the post smoke cleanup is the same. He said the correct protocol is to lightly wipe out the ball with a paper towel after each smoke and to run a pipe cleaner through the stem down to the bowl. He recommended taking the pipe apart to run the pipe cleaner through. He said if you did that your pipe would likely remain fresh for years. He also said that every once in a while, a pipe might need a deep clean, but not very often.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I clean every pipe I smoked each day that evening. At the end of the week each pipe gets 200 grain alcohol run through the stem, Obsidian oil on the ebonite, and one or both of the items pictured below applied to the briar, especially to clean the rim.

Again, what a grown man chooses to put near or in his mouth is no concern of mine. But I like my pipes fresh and treat each like a valuable investment. Also, I actually enjoy doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_9332.jpeg
    IMG_9332.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I clean every pipe I smoked each day that evening. At the end of the week each pipe gets 200 grain alcohol run through the stem, Obsidian oil on the ebonite, and one or both of the items pictured below applied to the briar, especially to clean the rim.

Again, what a grown man chooses to put near or in his mouth is no concern of mine. But I like my pipes fresh and treat each like a valuable investment. Also, I actually enjoy doing it.
The key here is that you enjoy doing it. I'm the same way about cleaning my guns.

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I run a pipe cleaner through the stem after each smoke and clean the bowl with a paper towel. I try to get as much moisture and left over tobacco bits out as I can. This generally keeps my pipes in good smoking order. Eventually as they start to taste off I will do a deep clean using pipe cleaners soaked in Everclear which freshens them back to good smoking order. I have a large collection of pipes and I don't smoke daily so the deep cleaning is seldom needed.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I run a pipe cleaner or two through em after I smoke to make sure all the gunk is out but beyond that I don't mess with anything deeper unless it's an estate that smells perfumey.

Reactions: Mike N

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Damn @jpmcwjr, you've quoted Brokeback Mountian.

I was mulling over which movie you might have quoted, so finally I searched it. Why do you even know that line?

TV ads? Joke Vids?

To each their own...

To each his own. puffy

Damn...and it revolves around both of you "washing your pipes".

I long suspected this kind of thing might be going on with the water cleaning cult.

Oh well...consenting adults, and all of that...

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I had a long conversation with a pipe maker that is made pipes for over 35 years and makes A LOT of pipes. We talked about cleaning pipes and he stated that he thought in general people over cleaned their pipes and worried about it too much.
Now keep in mind that I generally smoke 6 to 10 bowls a day and each day I used two pipes, one is for aromatics and another is for non-aromatic blends. I own well over 30 pipes and in general I smoke my aromatics out of a straight billiard type pipe and my non-aromatics out of my bent pipes. Regardless the post smoke cleanup is the same. He said the correct protocol is to lightly wipe out the ball with a paper towel after each smoke and to run a pipe cleaner through the stem down to the bowl. He recommended taking the pipe apart to run the pipe cleaner through. He said if you did that your pipe would likely remain fresh for years. He also said that every once in a while, a pipe might need a deep clean, but not very often.
I agree. The only thing I add is a light water wash. Vulcanite stems are kept away from hot water and quickly dried and treated with obsidian oil.

dingdong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I had this 1971 Dunhill 719 pickaxe months ago. Had the shank (cracked) repaired, and after few weeks of trying, i can't seem to get a good taste of the pipe. Apparently the cake is still quite thick inside, and 50+ years of cakes probably spoiled any taste of tobacco in there so its always tastes like i'm burning tires in the bowl. and the pipe is HOT.
So this morning, with scissors (i got no reamer) and sandpapers,i sanded out all the way to the bare wood..its surprising how much cake i took out!
Get it washed in the sink and dried out in hot Jakarta sun.. puffy puffypuffy and of course the pipe works much better, on this first bowl it burns much more consistent and the bowl is now much cooler.
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-16 at 10.42.35.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-16 at 10.42.37.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-16 at 10.42.38.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-16 at 10.42.38 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-16 at 10.42.39.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-16 at 10.43.11.jpeg

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I had this 1971 Dunhill 719 pickaxe months ago. Had the shank (cracked) repaired, and after few weeks of trying, i can't seem to get a good taste of the pipe. Apparently the cake is still quite thick inside, and 50+ years of cakes probably spoiled any taste of tobacco in there so its always tastes like i'm burning tires in the bowl. and the pipe is HOT.
So this morning, with scissors (i got no reamer) and sandpapers,i sanded out all the way to the bare wood..its surprising how much cake i took out!
Get it washed in the sink and dried out in hot Jakarta sun.. puffy puffypuffy and of course the pipe works much better, on this first bowl it burns much more consistent and the bowl is now much cooler.
View attachment 336537
View attachment 336538
View attachment 336539
View attachment 336541
View attachment 336540
View attachment 336542
Considering the tools you had to work with, you did an impressive job of reaming out the cake. Nice work.

• Haha
Reactions: dingdong

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive found my best tool is a simple small pocket knife. I can see what Im doing and stay away from the rim. Im sure reamers work well in the right hands but Ive seen a lot of pipes damaged my reamers. To me if you take your time with a blade it works well....likely the same story with reamers but I refuse to buy one. I own one and its in a box somewhere. If I buy one I will find it the next day!

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Ive found my best tool is a simple small pocket knife. I can see what Im doing and stay away from the rim. Im sure reamers work well in the right hands but Ive seen a lot of pipes damaged my reamers. To me if you take your time with a blade it works well....likely the same story with reamers but I refuse to buy one. I own one and its in a box somewhere. If I buy one I will find it the next day!
Sigmund, I hear what you are saying and remember clearly my dad, and other older gents, using pocket knives to do the job. My only concern would be removing it evenly along the walls, but I suppose practice makes perfect plus sandpaper would even things up.

Oh, and I just saw that you are about to hit your "one year anniversary" of membership tomorrow. Congratulations!! :col:

• Love
Reactions: Sigmund

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@Choatecav I get exactly what you are saying but th cake seems to pull away from the walls pretty easy. Of course some blade shapes may be more forgiving than others. Also, I do work with very small items, small files and such so Im used to that sort of thing. People should proceed with caution no matter what tool they use. Ive yet to dig into the walls. There is a marked texture change that you feel when scraping as you get to the wood.

I didnt know that it had been a year but I guess you are right! Thanks. Ive learned a lot from members here and its been fun.

Reactions: Choatecav