PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'll echo some previous sentiments, and add that class warfare looks really ugly, not to mention downright silly in a pipe and tobacco forum.
Can't afford a 300, 700 or 1200 dollar pipe? Wouldn't buy one if you could? Okay. But, the last time I checked, I didn't hear anyone being called an idiot, or similar for smoking PA in a cob. Why? The guys smoking the expensive tobacco in the expensive pipes don't really care what anybody buys or smokes.
These uber defensive reactions call to mind a recent thread having to do with capitalized letters.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Every single one of my pipes is under $100 and I wear that with a badge of honor. Most of my pipes are actually in the $60-$80 range and they are all great for me. Even if I were a multi-billionaire I wouldn't spend more than $300 on a pipe, and then I probably wouldn't smoke it which defeats the purpose.
*****One caveat: if I could find a birthyear Dunhill (1969) I might be tempted to shell out the money if I had it.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
It is an amazing pipe, and you can't deny that S. Bang had built a reputation for quality work and craftmanship. I guess I also can't blame the seller for listing it this high because of the reputation and beauty of the pipe. With that being said, wow, that's pretty freaking expensive.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That horn shape doesn't really please my eye much. Definately not enough to warrant a $3,500 price tag. I don't care how well it smokes I just don't like the shape, though it does have nice grain on it. I probably wouldn't spend that much on a single pipe anyways. I could see putting that much money into a nice seven day set or limited edition collection, but not on one pipe. I'd probably max myself out at around $400 for an individual pipe.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Not sure I have thought about a limit to what I would spend; however, I have yet to see a pipe for more than $250 that I thought was actually worth it. I have simple tastes when it comes to pipes, and although I have gotten into the $200 range beyond that I just don't get it. 3 of my best smokers were all obtained for less than $50 which to me proves that price is meaningless in and of itself.
I have my eye on a $500 Dunhill that I can buy new at cost. For $250 I might buy it just to see what all the rage is about, but then I think about a Tinsky that to me looks like a better quality pipe that I can get for $180.
When I think about all the pipes I have it makes me want to quit buying pipes so I can continue buying guns.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
It is always a personal preference. As long as you can answer both questions "Is the pipe worth the money and do I have the reserve to spend it" with an astounding "Yes", then it's worth it.
This applies to cars, music, books, electronics, pipes, whatever you purchase. For some a BMW or Mercedes is worth it, for some it's not.
Same goes for pipes. Personally.. I have not spend more than $200 on a pipe. Will I ever ? Perhaps. But not yet. I'm too much of a newbie to be able to determine whether they smoke all that much better. But if the right one comes around and I have the available cash that day, perhaps.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
This applies to cars, music, books, electronics, pipes, whatever you purchase. For some a BMW or Mercedes is worth it, for some it's not.
At least with cars a BMW is distinguishable from the qualities of a Ford Taurus. I have held $600 Dunhills in my hand (several), and they do not appear to have any finer qualities than many Petersons or Savienllis. In fact these Dunhills next to a Savinelli New Art appear to be inferior.
With cars you pay for a name to an extent. With a lot of handmade pipes out there you are paying for name only after a certain point. Maybe I am off base. I'm sure someone will say so; however, the smoking differences and often the workmanship of sub $250 pipes are easily as good or better than pipes costing $600 or more.
I also have a hard time believing the quality of the briar can be that much better. How would you prove it? Please keep in mind I am not claiming that Grabows are as good as every other pipe. Only that after somewhere around $200 the differences start becoming highly subjective. You are definitely not getting the increase in quality dollar for dollar that you get when you go from $40 to $250 once you go from $250 - $3500.
How much did the chunk of briar cost that was used to craft a $3500 pipe? The stem material? Just sayin....

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Buy what ya like,smoke what ya like.Don't matter if its a MMcob,or a high end.To each his own...

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Here's a follow-up question.
Who would spend $180 per pipe to get a collectible pipe set ? For instance the Great Explorers, Molly Malone or Mark Twain set from Peterson. Or perhaps a Night and Day set from Savinelli ? And if you got the set, would you just leave it for collecting or actually smoke it ?

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
The most I have spent on a pipe was $100 and that was on ebay for a set of 11 estate pipes. Looking them over and doing some research I found two of them are worth a $100 apiece. At least I hope. They are due in the mail today. We will see. $3500 would find me without a wife and on the street. Not worth the trouble.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
There's middle ground to be had here.
To some, a pipe is more than a smoking tool. It is art. And the sky is the limit with art. Whether they smoke it or not is none of your business. In a bidding war, those who have more will win.
I'm not a collector as of yet, but I can see myself in the future buying a pipe and not touching it because it is so wonderful to look at and I want to keep it in prestine condition forever.
But the current pipe in question, does not meet any visual standards of mine. But obviously it tickled someone elses fancy.
:puffy: Smoke a bowl and forget about it.

rafterman

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2011
The reason for which people own pipes varies, as this forum very well demostrates. Personally speaking, a pipe, to me, is a vessel, which I need, to smoke tobacco and ingest nicotine. Plainly said, for this fella, its a tool.
Now, in keeping with the tool theme, anyone who's ever stepped foot into Home Depot knows that there are always 3 to 4 different price points for a given tool. These price points typically reflect the quality of a tool (but not always). When I buy a tool, I typically go middle of the road. I never get the cheapest, but I never get the most expensive. If I made my living from swingin' a hammer, I would probablly buy the best one available. Being as I don't, the value isn't there for me to purchase the most expensive tool.
I use the same philosiphy when buying a pipe. I want a decent peice of briar, at a decent price point. I don't do anything other than smoke em and run a pipe cleaner through them from time to time. I don't abuse em, but I don't baby them.
All this said, most of my pipes are Petersons and Stanwells of the Canadian type shape. Typically in the $80 to $100 range. Once a pipe's price starts running north of $150 I typical stop looking at is as an option to purchase.
I'd like to add also, some of my best smokes have come from a $6 corn cob too.

tgwilt

Lurker
Feb 11, 2012
I have spent as much as $1500 on a pipe. Extravagant? You bet. Why? There was a special sale at Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan. Buy one at regular price, get a 2nd of equal or lesser value for 99 cents. So, I picked up two Dunhill models, both over $1400 or $1500.99.
Also, I'm a widower and the pipes (and dogs) help alleviate the loneliness. Smoking a pipe is a very spiritual experience for me. Overall, I've been very blessed in life.
Other pipes - $800 for a Tsuge and $770 for a Tyler Lane.
Most of my pipes fall into the $150 or so range.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Mick, regarding your follow up question; would I spend $180 on a collectible set? It depends on if I really liked the shape(s).
The problem with standard shapes (even "limited editions") is that the shape comes first, and the grain of the wood is an afterthought. I much prefer freehand shapes by North American carvers; shapes that follow the grain, not the other way around.
Just my opinion.

wbradk

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
I like to get old classics on Ebay and have them refurbished. A few years ago I picked up a 1906 Peterson bulldog for about twenty bucks. After I had it cleaned up it was better than new--near new but with some character. Anybody who spends $3500 on a pipe is crazy.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
My best smoker is ungly, unfinished and has many fills. I do like cool looking pipes though, and have way too many. i do have to confess that if i added it all up, I have probably surpassed the 3500 mark a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.