PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
At least I'm old is right. I don't get depressed over it, but, in many ways and over a myriad of roiling issues, I'm quite happy that I'm as old as I am. The world isn't friendly to those of us with a pronounced libertarian bent. Live and let live. We choose to enjoy tobacco and we should be left alone to indulge our desires.
Fully agree and I'm no youth-worshipper. The older I get, the wealthier my bank of memories and, hopefully, more extensive my wisdom. All best pondered through a cloud of pipe smoke!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Seriously, when you said you were smoking Cosmic mixture, I really thought you were smoking a blend that our very own @cosmicfolklore made. I asked you about it in another thread but I guess you didn’t see it (maybe you blocked me? Haha) I’ve never heard of this blend until you brought it up.
I got tired of typing out the mixture, and I wrongly assumed everyone knew. I thought I invented it, but Cosmic got there first. Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake combined 50/50 for those who don't know. Sorry I didn't clarify. For the record, I never intended to block anyone.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The calculations are pretty simple and once you have the formula it's simple head math to determine what you will need to have in your cellar:

The average pipe holds 2.13 grams of tobacco in my collection but for the sake of argument I rounded the calculations up to 2.5.

A small pipe (group 3) will hold an average of 1.5 grams
A medium pipe (Group 4) will hold an average of 2.0 grams
A large pipe (Group 5) will hold an average of 3 grams

If you have an average mix of small, medium and large pipes in your collection the average smoke will be 2.5 grams.

2.5 grams x 365 days is 912 grams.

912 grams is 32.19 ounces or 1 pound.

SO, 1 pipe a day = 1 pound per year. 2 pipes per day = 2 pounds per year and so on.

The pipe capacities above come from 16 months of (enjoyable) research by weighing every single bowl I smoked prior to drying with a scientific grade scale which has an accuracy to 0.01 grams.

Sorry...... I'm a Stanford Nerd, it's a curse.... puffy
Thanks. It's good to have a benchmark. You rock!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The calculations are pretty simple and once you have the formula it's simple head math to determine what you will need to have in your cellar:

The average pipe holds 2.13 grams of tobacco in my collection but for the sake of argument I rounded the calculations up to 2.5.

If you have an average mix of small, medium and large pipes in your collection the average smoke will be 2.5 grams.

SO, 1 pipe a day = 1 pound per year. 2 pipes per day = 2 pounds per year and so on.

The pipe capacities above come from 16 months of (enjoyable) research by weighing every single bowl I smoked prior to drying with a scientific grade scale which has an accuracy to 0.01 grams.

You may want to check your math and conversion factors. 16 oz = 1 lb

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
To all you new guys grappling with the most important decision of your life, I will make it simple for you. You cellar until one of us says to stop. How easy is that, you don't even have to give it a second thought. We are the pros, you are the newbies. Rely on our years of expertise and we will have your cellars filled to the last tin you will smoke before taking your dirt nap. This is why we are here, trust us, we have never failed.

I guess I should have had coffee before writing this :) Corrections are below:

912 grams is 32.19 ounces or 2 pounds.

SO, 1 pipe a day = 2 pounds per year. 2 pipes per day = 4 pounds per year and so on.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I just went looking for a bag of Black XX that I know that I have, to send to Condorlover, I'll be damned if I can find it. But I did get to revisit "the stacks". I have enough to last several lifetimes, I think, calculations or no calculations. But I'll keep looking, it may be in the whole leaf bunker.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
The problem I am seeing is that no one lets people die at home anymore. They wait till we are forgetting their stupid names because they barely come around anymore... and, who can remember who with that stupid purple hair... then they stick us in a Home to die, and then all we have left to do is chasing all the old ladies around, but they won't let us smoke, and no one comes to visit, and old ladies aren't that much fun because they can't run very fast. Dammit!!!
I've told my wife and kids that I intend to do as the nomadic native Americans did and go on my 'spirit walk' once/if I become too much of a burden. I intend to pack a little nap sack and wander off into the mountains somewhere and die in peace. I'll skip the whole put-me-in-a-home-somewhere-to-die-and-forget-about-me, thanks. My wife wasn't keen on the idea so I told her I'd carry some kind of tracking device that I'd turn on before I go but I expect they'll be fishing it out of a buzzards gullet anyway but I didn't tell her that. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wayne, do what I do. Get a live in caretaker. Teach her how to clean your pipes and how to fill them. You don't want to be a burden to your family, so let a stranger handle it for you. My plan is to die with a pipe in one hand and a tin of tobacco in the other. I also have an alternate plan for the live in I have but we don't need to go down there just yet.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've told my wife and kids that I intend to do as the nomadic native Americans did and go on my 'spirit walk' once/if I become too much of a burden. I intend to pack a little nap sack and wander off into the mountains somewhere and die in peace. I'll skip the whole put-me-in-a-home-somewhere-to-die-and-forget-about-me, thanks. My wife wasn't keen on the idea so I told her I'd carry some kind of tracking device that I'd turn on before I go but I expect they'll be fishing it out of a buzzards gullet anyway but I didn't tell her that. :D
What if it's just a bad cold and you're not really dying. That could be a crushing anticlimactic moment as you trundle up the cul-de-sac to the snickers of your neighbors.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks for doing the work.