PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I smoke approx 3 smallish pipes a day. Tobacco legislation and the nanny state in general make me angry. Today I looked up the actuarial tables for a 71 year old man, and I'm "expected" to last 13.73 years. How much Cosmic Mixture do I need to cellar to see me through (I hate math!)? Please err on the high side when quantifying "smallish" bowl.
Thanks in advance.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I smoke approx 3 smallish pipes a day. Tobacco legislation and the nanny state in general make me angry.
This things are rarely as bad as people think they are. What I mean is they tend to be more of a pain in the ass and generally annoying and rarely the death nell people make them into. Like the FDA regulating supplements "people are gonna die and get sick and not get their helpful supplements, nope just meant on rare occasions someone would get in some trouble for mislabeling their product. Don't forget that even nannys love that sweet sweet tax revenue.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This things are rarely as bad as people think they are. What I mean is they tend to be more of a pain in the ass and generally annoying and rarely the death nell people make them into. Like the FDA regulating supplements "people are gonna die and get sick and not get their helpful supplements, nope just meant on rare occasions someone would get in some trouble for mislabeling their product. Don't forget that even nannys love that sweet sweet tax revenue.
That said often the laws that destroy or severely damage industries always seem to be in the service of protecting more profitable industries that are just as damaging. Look at the Absinthe scare and the stupid laws from that. Can't fuck with big wine and get away with it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
With an average of 9 grams per day and 453 grams per pound, you consume approximately 7.2 pounds per year. For 13 years, that extrapolates out to 94 pounds. To be on the safe side, you should cellar about 250 pounds. LOL

Here's my logic. I'd rather die with 200 pounds sitting in totes and tubs in the basement than beat the odds and find myself sitting around each day yearning for a bowl of tobacco. If that happens, I'd be well into my 90's, WTF else will I be able to do at that point? If I'm smoking my pipe and blowing out copious amounts of offensive, foul smoke, at least people will leave me the F' alone so I can enjoy my pipe.

Oct 7, 2016
The nanny state began in 1603. Since, after previous failed attempts in college days, Pipe smoking “took” for me in 1979, I have always bought more tobacco than current consumption needs would justify. All sorts of reasons, too complex to really sort out. I expect this pattern to continue regardless of the FDA, taxes, price increases, or even an internet sales ban.

While not convenient, I could work around the latter as things stand now. A more than decent brick and mortar is 20 miles away. Their handicapped parking is abysmal through no fault of their own, but I am sure they would do curbside pickup.

If that does happen, I know the owner of three local discount tobacco and beer stores, one of which has a drive through. He could have accounts with distributors he doesn’t deal with now. Sutliff, for example, has a very friendly minimum order requirement, and they have stated publicly that they will extend credit for a small opening order if you can fog a mirror. I fully expect the internet “tin game” frenzy to not last.

in other words, I have a hopeless case of TAD. But I expect that the market will always adjust to allow me to satisfy it currently. No need to be ruled by emotions of the moment.

The problem I am seeing is that no one lets people die at home anymore. They wait till we are forgetting their stupid names because they barely come around anymore... and, who can remember who with that stupid purple hair... then they stick us in a Home to die, and then all we have left to do is chasing all the old ladies around, but they won't let us smoke, and no one comes to visit, and old ladies aren't that much fun because they can't run very fast. Dammit!!!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
With an average of 9 grams per day and 453 grams per pound, you consume approximately 7.2 pounds per year. For 13 years, that extrapolates out to 94 pounds. To be on the safe side, you should cellar about 250 pounds. LOL

Here's my logic. I'd rather die with 200 pounds sitting in totes and tubs in the basement than beat the odds and find myself sitting around each day yearning for a bowl of tobacco. If that happens, I'd be well into my 90's, WTF else will I be able to do at that point? If I'm smoking my pipe and blowing out copious amounts of offensive, foul smoke, at least people will leave me the F' alone so I can enjoy my pipe.
Amen, and thanks!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The nanny state began in 1603. Since, after previous failed attempts in college days, Pipe smoking “took” for me in 1979, I have always bought more tobacco than current consumption needs would justify. All sorts of reasons, too complex to really sort out. I expect this pattern to continue regardless of the FDA, taxes, price increases, or even an internet sales ban.

While not convenient, I could work around the latter as things stand now. A more than decent brick and mortar is 20 miles away. Their handicapped parking is abysmal through no fault of their own, but I am sure they would do curbside pickup.

If that does happen, I know the owner of three local discount tobacco and beer stores, one of which has a drive through. He could have accounts with distributors he doesn’t deal with now. Sutliff, for example, has a very friendly minimum order requirement, and they have stated publicly that they will extend credit for a small opening order if you can fog a mirror. I fully expect the internet “tin game” frenzy to not last.

in other words, I have a hopeless case of TAD. But I expect that the market will always adjust to allow me to satisfy it currently. No need to be ruled by emotions of the moment.
But the more "exclusive" and expensive this hobby becomes, the more pipers like me will be priced out, and there are few enough of us as it is, and that number is dwindling. Pardon my cynicism.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I probably should clarify. There's another side of the equation, I'd prefer to live a long time (I think). If my choice was dying because I ran out of tobacco vs living without, I believe I'd choose the latter. Since i have enough tobacco cellared to last me until I'm at least 95, ask me again in 32 years. Given those thoughts, I think I'll cellar another 5 to 10 years worth of tobacco .... just in case. A man cannot be too cautious you know.

Oct 7, 2016
But the more "exclusive" and expensive this hobby becomes, the more pipers like me will be priced out, and there are few enough of us as it is, and that number is dwindling. Pardon my cynicism.
I get the inflation part. I also get the fewer choices part, but that has been a trend even before the FDA came along. Blends change, even if still available. Nothing new. All legitimate reasons to cellar. I could name others, too. If there was a scale for cynicism, I would blow out the top. The nanny state has always been a factor and can be kept in perspective.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I probably should clarify. There's another side of the equation, I'd prefer to live a long time (I think). If my choice was dying because I ran out of tobacco vs living without, I believe I'd choose the latter. Since i have enough tobacco cellared to last me until I'm at least 95, ask me again in 32 years. Given those thoughts, I think I'll cellar another 5 to 10 years worth of tobacco .... just in case. A man cannot be too cautious you know.
At least you're old. I'm staring down the barrel of having to secure well over 400 lbs and that will just last me into my 80s. Time to start growing it I think.

I guess that's only around $40K in today's prices. A small side business for a couple years can provide that.

Reactions: BROBS and edger