PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I have like 20-30 jars of tobacco from tins that I opened to sample and didn't particularly care for at the time that are sitting in storage with my "cellar" and I have 12-13 blends that are my rotation, for lack of a better term. Some get smoked more than others, but they are my go to smokes. I don't have a ton of room at my place so I had to make a conscious decision to only have that many blends on hand.

Reactions: jafo1989 and JOHN72

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have 34 open tins that are in jars. I smoke whichever calls to me. My tendency has shifted over time. I tend to stick with a pipe and blend for a while now. A while being a variable amount of time, sometimes two weeks, sometimes two bowls. Initially, it was nothing but variety, different pipe, different tobacco every bowl. Now, I am actively trying to reduce the number of open tins. I think I will get more out of being more focussed.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Kind of a rookie question, but since I only picked up a pipe back in September, what’s a fair number of tobaccos to have in active rotation, esp. while I’m figuring out what I like? I’ve been reluctant to open more than 5-6 for some reason, I guess so as not to have a dozen more unsealed before I’m ready to get to ‘em. ?‍♂️
I too am learning what I do and don’t like. My routine: (as suggested here frequently) I buy 1 oz amounts (2 oz here n there) and then -converting to grams - I use a small scale- put half of that amount into small Mylar bags. The bags I purchased for shorter term use so got 100 bags for cheap on amazon). I then try what is now approx 14 grams of a blend. If I like it great! If not I keep the other 14 grams to store and try again in 6-9 months. systematically I am going thru “straight” tobacco/ blends and aromatics. Not being concerned that I spent to much on a tobacco I won’t re-visit. It is working for me. Plus I find it fun to measure it out and bag it up! Rather relaxing…

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
For me, I don’t have a bunch of open tins. I have a bunch of available samples.

Always interesting to see how people manage their habit/hobby. It’s what makes it great - there is no right way, maybe just best or common practices. Enjoy it as you want, and don’t base Your enjoyment off others’ rules.

Reactions: jafo1989

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I hate clutter in the antique desk which holds my active pipes and tobacco. So, no more than 5 or six tins at once. If a tin goes too long without use i might rehydrate it but, more often, out it goes.

Reactions: jafo1989 and JOHN72

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I used to keep 6 - 8 jars in my rotation, but I found that I get more enjoyment out of smoking through a tin of something and getting to know it well. So now I only keep two jars in my rotation. A straight Virginia (my primary smoke) and a second jar of something I will occasionally dip into. Right now, I have John Cotton's Double Pressed Virginia as my primary, and Arango Balkan Supreme in my secondary jar. Everything else (jars, tins, and mylar bags) stay in my cellar until I finish my current jars. I have enough tobacco at this point to last out my life, so I have to really resist TAD when it happens.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gads, I dunno how many I have - a couple of dozen, I guess. Most of it jarred, of course, except for a couple I just opened.

Reactions: timt

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Two, I prefer keeping a narrow focus so I can find out as much as possible of the nuances of the blend in different pipes. It also means that my cellar ages longer, I currently have a four year old 1792 flake and a five year old Star of the East flake on the go.

As I only smoke a few of bowls a week having any more open tins would worry me, even opening my jars more than I need too makes me anxious.

Reactions: yanoJL and jafo1989

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Kind of a rookie question, but since I only picked up a pipe back in September, what’s a fair number of tobaccos to have in active rotation, esp. while I’m figuring out what I like? I’ve been reluctant to open more than 5-6 for some reason, I guess so as not to have a dozen more unsealed before I’m ready to get to ‘em. ?‍♂️
That's about what I have going, but there's no one number for all.
Welcome to the forum, and,
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I am fairly new myself and smoke one bowl a day usually, so figured I'd have a rotation of 3 or 4, changing each day, and then swapping them all out every month. This way I feel like I am giving each tobacco a chance untill I find what I really like. If something isn't doing it for me after a few tries, I just swap that one out for another a bit sooner.

The other thing I am trying is to keep the 3 or 4 in active service different types of blends (an English, a Virginia/Kentucky etc) to narrow down the sort of tobacco I enjoy the most, and also to keep variety.

So far I am starting to find which blends I look forward to or miss when they are out of action, so it seems to be working for me.