PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rigpiggler

Lurker
May 19, 2022
Title edited. See Rule 9. Capitals!

I have been overindulging in all of these wonderful flavors. My question is how many times a day should I smoke 1 pipe. I work in the offshore industry, and I am at sea for 5 weeks at a time. I bring 3 pipes and rotate them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Depends on how you smoke. If you smoke slow with properly dried tobacco and you don't salivate down the airway, you could smoke one pipe all day. If your pipe isn't getting wet and gurgling, smoke it all day and rotate another one in the next day. Use pipe cleaners liberally to keep your pipe clean and dry.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
When I went out to sea it varied from 7-10 days to 2-6 months depending on what size vessel I was on. I brought pipes with me; 3 briars, 2 cobs & plenty of pipe cleaners. I generally smoked one or two pipes a day when I was on board a ship, usually after my watch or at the end of the work day. I never had any issues except running out of tobacco. Fair winds & following seas!

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Up until recently I only had 3 pipes and I smoked each for two days straight, anywhere from 2-4 bowls a day. Only ran a pipe cleaner and wiped the bowl out after each smoke, would run some alcohol on a cleaner after last bowl and a water flush every now and then. Seemed to work good. About a month ago went on a seven-day vacation, had only two pipes and some pipe cleaners, no alcohol, no water flush, and really couldn't tell a difference, but I'll still probably stick to my cleaning routine!?‍♂️

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
I heard that Briar pipes needed time to dry out, especially if smoked heavily; never smoked my briars enough to find out, TBH. Meerschaum, OTOH, can be smoked all day every day being a clay; it doesn't absorb moisture, IIRC (or maybe it does and dries out super quick?)

Reactions: AJL67

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I heard that Briar pipes needed time to dry out, especially if smoked heavily; never smoked my briars enough to find out, TBH. Meerschaum, OTOH, can be smoked all day every day being a clay; it doesn't absorb moisture, IIRC (or maybe it does and dries out super quick?)
Briar is extremely dense and absorbs little to no moisture. Meerschaum is a natural sponge.