PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I can only speak for myself here.

I average about an hour per bowl. There are 24 hours in a day but I sleep 8 of them. That leaves 16 hours available. I'll subtract an hour for things like meals, etc.

That's a maximum of 15 bowls for me.

That's in theory.

In reality I sometimes go a week or two without smoking at all but sometimes I go through 5-10 bowls over the course of a weekend.

Considering the above, it's clear that as long as you're not damaging the pipe you can smoke 1 pipe however much you feel like smoking.

There really is no rule or metric that applies.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Me? not near enough.
I manage half a bowl in the morning, as I drive through the shipyard to where the vessels are berthed. Then finish it on my drive back to the office, just befor lunch.
I'm in ship construction. Despite me not working in ships any more, just inspecting and overseeing, I do not get a whole lot of time to smoke my pipe in the daytime.:mad:
But when I get home......puffy

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
So we have two people on this thread that are or have been at sea. As a sailor I learnt you cannot sail and pipe, well you can if you like lost pipes and embers everywhere. Drop anchor and pipe, or better yet in the evening at anchor. Nothing better.
Fair winds

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
over smoking a pipe can make it get nasty (sour). If you clean it and make sure it's dry before lighting up again the worst thing that might happen is you need to deep clean it (well do more then run a cleaner and a quick wipe). So basically the worst thing that could happen is annoying not disaster.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you listen to me you have issues. I never smoke the same pipe more than once in a day. I never smoke a blend more than once in a day. I will let you figure out the math depending on how many smokes you get in a day. I clean the piss out of my pipe when it has cooled down and then let it rest a day or two.
I would consider myself a high functioning Rain Man when it comes to my pipe life.

Funny thing is I treated my pool cues the exact same way. I owned a pool hall for 20 years. I had custom made shafts because I was 6'4" back then. I would make the shafts feel like you were sliding silk between your fingers. The shape of my tips had to be perfect. The type of tips I preferred were expensive. I had a burnisher for the shaft of my sticks, plus I would use 1500 grit on the shafts as well. You couldn't imagine that a pool cue could slide through your fingers when I was done doing up a cue. I had a special cue that I would break the balls with and it also broke down into a jump stick which I was pretty killer with.
I never broke the balls with my shooting stick as the force I used could mess up the joint in my cue. The last cue I bought which was around 1999 or so was a Schon SL 21. At the time it sold for around 2500.00, but as a pool hall owner I got a deal. I still own the sticks and the hand tooled leather case.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
If I have a day off, no work. I may end the day smoking 5 or 6 pipes. On work days, when I get home, and depending on my mood or how tired I am, one or two pipes, or a cigarette. If my sister-in-law comes on vacation, and stays overnight in my smoker's cave, I might smoke a wet skunk, in some park in town.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If I have a day off, no work. I may end the day smoking 5 or 6 pipes. On work days, when I get home, and depending on my mood or how tired I am, one or two pipes, or a cigarette. If my sister-in-law comes on vacation, and stays overnight in my smoker's cave, I might smoke a wet skunk, in some park in town.

Is this some Spanish slang John? ?

Smoke a wet skunk? LOL ?

2B6AD10A-E958-46F2-B8D1-4F5101B1CB81.jpeg

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Personally, I smoke 1 or 2 bowls a day. Sometimes, usually with new pipes (to me they’re new anyway) I might smoke that pipe a couple of times a day for a few days, then not touch it for a week or two.
My Grandad had one pipe at a time and he smoked the knickers off that, and his pipe lasted him 10 or so years each one so there isn’t a rule as such; whatever works for you.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Title edited. See Rule 9. Capitals!

I have been overindulging in all of these wonderful flavors. My question is how many times a day should I smoke 1 pipe. I work in the offshore industry, and I am at sea for 5 weeks at a time. I bring 3 pipes and rotate them out.
I would be surprised if you were allowed to smoke at all if you worked on an offshore oil drilling rig.

• Wow