PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And a enviable 42 from what I've seen in your pictures :)

Sorry, I should have phrased that differently. What I meant was that you can always easily find a reason to buy another pipe if you want to, which many of us do.
I did too but the fascination waned after three decades. I'll only buy Savinelli 904/9004s from discontinued lines or if the have a very nice blast and Bruce Weaver pipes now.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I could live, and usually do, with just one. However ghosting is real. I only smoke Burley blends so it doesn't matter to me.

I whittled down from 20+ to 9, and will be bringing it down to at Max 4.
There may come a time when I cull mine down to nothing but Bruce Weaver pipes.

Reactions: Bowie and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For smoking purposes, it's a pretty low number, even lower if you know your own habits and know all the aspects of various pipes. One could smoke happily for decades with a dozen pipes, a week's rotation and a little wiggle room for a really big and a really small pipe. Something like that. I have eighty plus. I'm afraid to count. And I have reasons for all of them, because they were gifts, and all variations and combinations, and I really enjoy the variety. If I had to choose between what I have and the same dollar amount in fewer, finer pipes, I'd probably go with what I have. Variety pleases me. And I have a few upper market pipes that satisfy that yearning, nothing museum grade but good.

Reactions: Reginald and Casual

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'm genuinely excited for that day to come. Right now, I'm effectively drinking from the firehose. The choices are so vast that it's pretty overwhelming for the newcomer. I've truly appreciated all of the information and personal recommendations on this website and feel like I've learned a lot more and that I'm more in tune with smoking a pipe, this time around.

I'm also shooting for quality over quantity, now. Even though I'm just getting back into it, I have always really liked Boswell's pipes. I know these don't necessarily represent the highest quality of pipes available; but, I've checked their website thousands of times over the last dozen years just window shopping, and their styles have always really appealed to me. While I have stocked up on an ample supply of cobs for the exact reasons you've mentioned above, I do think I'll be purchasing higher quality (for my budget, anyways: $100 - $200) pipes from the outset, this time around. I don't (know enough to) have anything against less expensive pipes, it's just that if the name of the game is enjoyment, it makes me happier to look at a rack full of pipes that I truly consider works of art than a rack full of pipes that was filled simply to fill a rack full of pipes, if that makes sense. It's in this light that I seek to add method to the madness.

I'm not sure why, but this go-round with pipe smoking feels differently. It feels like it's here to stay, now, so I want to start picking up a few pipes that really fit my eye. This thread is an effort to add some structure to the buying process.
Boswell makes great pipes. I have an eclectic mix, 30 or so in the $100-150 range, 10 or so that are $250 or so, another 15 or so that are $50-75 and a bunch of cobs. They all have their place, and the majority smoke very well regardless of price. The higher end ones are simply more fun to look at with maybe a little better stem work.

Again a topic you’ll get a lot of answers to. I know pipe smokers who have nothing but cobs, and others who don’t own a pipe under $300. Some have 300 pipes, some have 3. You’ll find your own way.

What I can guarantee you, is that your collection will be unlike anyone else’s in the world. As will your cellar. All part of the fun.

Reactions: dcon and Bowie

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I seperate my pipes by blend types. Aromatics, Virginia based, and english blends. Seems to work well enough for me with a limited number of piped (7)

Reactions: BarrelProof

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
~Snip~. At the end of the day, it seems like carving out a bit of time to focus on relaxing and enjoying the moment is paramount. ~Snip~

And THAT sir is the one truth to all of this I have found in the almost year I've been back at it. If I cant dedicate at least 15 minutes to truly enjoy the pipe, reflecting on whatever comes to mind and completely relaxing the day away, I dont enjoy the pipe like I should.

I just wish there was a way to convey that to my family. I go out, sit on the porch, or in the yard, or in my shed with the door open and light up intent on internal reflection and thought for at least 20 minutes. 75% of the time within 5 minutes of lighting up someone either calls me in because they need something, or my son comes out and stands next to me wanting to talk about video games.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
And THAT sir is the one truth to all of this I have found in the almost year I've been back at it. If I cant dedicate at least 15 minutes to truly enjoy the pipe, reflecting on whatever comes to mind and completely relaxing the day away, I dont enjoy the pipe like I should.

I just wish there was a way to convey that to my family. I go out, sit on the porch, or in the yard, or in my shed with the door open and light up intent on internal reflection and thought for at least 20 minutes. 75% of the time within 5 minutes of lighting up someone either calls me in because they need something, or my son comes out and stands next to me wanting to talk about video games.

To add a different perspective - I'm stuck in Texas working and have been here for two months, working 13 hours a day, every single day (while taking a full-time course load of classes online to finish a degree that'll hopefully result in a job that has me home every night). I would literally kill to be able to have my pipe smoking interrupted by one of my children, or hell, even my wife!

I get where you're coming from, truly. Perhaps, however, that interaction could be blended into your enjoyment? If not - I wish you the best in finding that relaxation that you seek.

Reactions: Bowie

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
To add other factors besides artistry and quantity, you have pipe sizes and shapes to consider. I have four cobs and 12-15 briars, and I feel (or fooled myself) that I’m close to my limit.

I’ve been at this for about eight months. What spurred me to buy more initially was to get something besides a billiard. I like to experiment with different tobaccos in different shapes, not necessarily following general ”rules” about matching shapes and tobaccos. I now have a collection of shapes and sizes I’m happy with, and all were under $50 each.

I don’t worry much at all about ghosting, but I understand that it happens and why others look to avoid it.

However, I would like one or two more small bowl pipes like a Rossi Piccolo...

...and one or two more 6mm filter pipes...

Reactions: BarrelProof

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
I don't have pipes dedicated to particular tobaccos so much as I have pipes that I'll only smoke virginias or VaPers in -- the Eltang's and Piersel's. I'll smoke burleys and virginias and orientals in my Castellos and Radices. I only smoke English (a.k.a. Latakia) tobacco in Savinellis and one, particular 55 Castello. (I guess that pipe is more dedicated than others). Lakelands go in the cobs and Falcons. I have a particular MM CG that I use for Semois. I don't what to be "that guy" who screws up a dear, artisan pipe. Hell, I even have particular lighters I use with certain pipes to protect the rim.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I don't have pipes dedicated to particular tobaccos so much as I have pipes that I'll only smoke virginias or VaPers in -- the Eltang's and Piersel's. I'll smoke burleys and virginias and orientals in my Castellos and Radices. I only smoke English (a.k.a. Latakia) tobacco in Savinellis and one, particular 55 Castello. (I guess that pipe is more dedicated than others). Lakelands go in the cobs and Falcons. I have a particular MM CG that I use for Semois. I don't what to be "that guy" who screws up a dear, artisan pipe. Hell, I even have particular lighters I use with certain pipes to protect the rim.

You have genre dedicated pipes.?

Reactions: Sonorisis
Status
Not open for further replies.