PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It has been a while I think since this topic has come up so I will go first. I currently own 37 pipes. 33 of mine are artisan made and are in my regular rotation. The other 4 do get some use here and there. At one time I did own around 75 but have weeded out all of the pipes that were not in my set of criteria for a great flake pipe. I hated looking at pipes that were just collection dust, they looked so damn lonely. Most I sold some I gave away and I am happy so far with this number.
So let's here some numbers folks, I am pretty sure Bradley is going to be up around the top of the list as he continues to buy all kinds of great pipes and his PAD knows no bounds.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
My humble collection will most certainly be dwarfed by most. But I like it thus far and it will continue to grow over the years. :D I just received my 9th pipe this week and the 10th should be in by the end of next week. The collection by then will include 9 briars (5 artisan made) and a MM. Cheers. :puffy:

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I own 71 pipes. 67 are artisan made pipes, 3 Stanwells and one Ardor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have no idea. I have dozens of junkers that I picked up for a buck apiece to use for restoration practice, but I don't consider those as part of the collection.
I suppose somewhere around 85 or so, maybe more...probably more. There are Barlings, Sasienis, Dunhills, Charatans, Comoys, Curtzs, Von Ercks, Ruthenbergs, Kaywoodies, Larrysons, Cannoys, Talberts, Tatums, Fillenwarths, Castellos, etc. My favorites are the Barlings, Kaywoodies, Curtz, and Von Ercks. Oh, and a Tom Spanu that is as fine a pipe as any that I own. I don't see mention of Spanu pipes in the forum, which is a shame. Excellent pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Saddle, I owned a beautiful straight grain Spanu years ago and it was a fine smoker. He really doesn't get talked about much. His pricing is very competitive.
Bradley, that is a good plan, I am sure your collection is worth a ton of money and seeing as your wife thinks they are all 50.00, you would take a serious hit.
jon11, who are some of your favorite artisans? I would love to hear what you buy. One day you should post a thread showing some of your pipes, we love pictures here.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have about 50 I think. I need to thin the heard, but each one has its own story. I think Bradley should open his pipe room for visits and then we go by telling our wives its a pipe show/museum!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Saddle, I owned a beautiful straight grain Spanu years ago and it was a fine smoker. He really doesn't get talked about much. His pricing is very competitive.
Hi Holly, I don't know why I haven't bought more of his pipes, because the couple that I've had have been really superlative

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
saddle, I don't think you know me well enough to be calling me Holly, that is my bedroom nickname. lol The reason I don't buy anymore is because of the acrylic stems. Check out his pricing, here is an example of a very pretty pipe for only 131. euro's.

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Tom-Spanu-317-i26211.html

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hyacinth, you make a good point. Acrylic stems are not quite as comfortable as vulcanite. Excellent pipes nonetheless. If I can resist buying more damned pipes for a while (just added a beauty from J&J) I'll pick up another Spanu down the road.
BTW, do you think that Bradley has more pipes than Peck?

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Honestly I may have lots of pipes sitting around but those are estates I plan on restoring and selling the ones I kept for myself are only maybe 10-13 pipes but even those have there price really. I change my pipes regularly as of now I'm more focused on tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Saddle, I believe Bradley would win that contest. I think peck is a little over 200 and I know Bradley is over 300 probably closer to 400. He actually once did a count over a year or so ago if memory serves and he has not stopped buying.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
28 total but 12 or so that I actually smoke. The ones that don't get any attention are mainly estate pipes I bought when starting the hobby years ago. 2 Meers, 3 Cobs, 1 Clay and the rest Briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think about sixty including five or six cobs, and a 14" clay pipe. The rest are briar or Mountain Laurel.

No Meerschaum, to avoid further PAD. All were bought new. I think about 15 are hand carved. Four

or so are over 30 years old, what I call one-owner estate pipes.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Manduela is probably my favorite artisan, but pretty pricey. Other than that I think there are numerous talented pipe makers and it's hard to pick favorites for me. Geiger's, Rasmussen's , Rosengren, Parks, Downie, Knets, etc.....the list goes on.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I own between 50 and 60 pipes. Most were bought when I first became a pipe smoker. During the first ten years I must have spent over $10,000.00 just accumulating this&that. It became ridiculous.

I have since sold off most that I wasn't smoking, and just kept the ones that were good smokers and felt good in the hand. I also sold off most of the pipes that had acquired a collectors status and that I just felt uncomfortable smoking.

As the years went by my pipe buying slowed down and I just enjoyed what I already had.

I don't think I will be selling any of the ones I currently own because I don't think I would be able to replace them for anything near what I paid for them originally.

I've only bought a couple new pipes and a couple estates in the last four years years. Not that I wouldn't love to have many pipes that I've seen online, I try to just enjoy what I have. Hell, most older smokers made due with one or two only.

I knew a guy back in the 90's that I used to work with that always had a pipe in his mouth. One day I asked him how long he had had it. He said he got it when he went to Viet Nam. But his wife had just got him a new one for his birthday. I bet he's still smoking it.

So I feel fortunate to have so many that I enjoy so much. I just count my blessings and ignore any PAD vibrations that I happen to feel browsing pipe sites these days.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I have 5 but I bought those 5 in the first month and a half. So I am projected to have 21.6667 by the end of the year. That .6667 pipe will be had to smoke. Ill either have to turn it sideways or it will be real short depeding on how it is cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.