PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2014
I did a quick count in my head, if I'm right I currently have 27. Nothing really special in the collection Boswells, Savinelli, Peterson, Bjarne, Karl Erik, Graybow and some others brands.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
This has caused me to make a head count. The current figure is 26 plus a sack of cob seconds. I have sold or traded that many or more in the last couple of years to keep the count down. Five or six of these will soon go out the door. Ideally I would have no more than a dozen but I have this weakness...

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Hmm. Obviously I have not been keeping track very well. I was counting them up and it keeps growing. There are 10 on my desk in my home office, 14 on the side board, 36 in my work bench pipe rack, two racks of 6 each on a book shelf and about 30 that are in a basket that either smoke poorly, look poorly or are restored poorly (as in I haven't gotten around to them yet). And then there are the 5 in my briefcase. That comes up to over 100! You know if you spread them around enough, you don't have quite so many, or do you???

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
At this time I own 388 pipes, with a 154 of them being my Kaywoodies. If you take out, Missouri Meerschaums, odd pipes, turkish, and India pipes I have 326 briar pipes. I have Petersons, Stanwells, Yello-Boles, Grabows, Wally Franks, Butz Choquin, WDC, Brewster, Ropp, GBD, Dunhills, James Upshalls, Comoys, Barlings, Sasieni's, Meerschaums,and lots of American, English, French , Danish and Italian estates and thirteen Artisan pipes. As everyone who knows me, knows Kaywoodies are my favorites.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
80-100 . 30 Wileys, 30 green pipes, and assorted other artisans and factory,mostly artisan. I smoke all of them except about 5 of the green ones which I need to work on for one reason or another. Mostly to open up airways.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Around 30 or so. I have pared down all the pipes that were purchased early in my pipe smoking career and had fallen out of favor. Now I have about 15 really great pipes that get primary usage. I'm constantly on the lookout for more pipes, but I am very selective at this point. I actually have about 5 Dunhills that are great and I love, but keep thinking about selling to get a couple more artisan pipes.

Aug 14, 2012
I did a count the other day, out of curiosity. There are 168. 11 meerschaums, 11 cobs, the rest are briars. 90 Dunhills, 14 Petersons, 13 Hilson Vintage, 8 Lasse Skovgaards, 5 Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro, and several other brands including Benni Jorgensen, Rad, Wilke, Remington, Ascorti, Radice. I share Bradley's concern that they will not be valued when I leave this body,so I have informed both my wife and my executor that they could be sold for over $25,000. On reflection, that figure is very low.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
So far 82 pipes and 1 pipe more on the way for 1 year and 10 months.

Rotate,rotate,rotate.....

I do like all my briars and smoke everyday each of them.

Cleaning, polishing, caring... everytime I could.

Now I am trying to concentrate on tobaccos. Happy smoking everyone.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have about 26 or so - with 22 being smoked on a regular basis (some more than others). I am happy to say that I don't have a bad smoker in the bunch.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Gary, that is one big number. Your Kaywoodie collection is awesome, and I totally understand why people collect a certain brand. So far you are the top dog on this site with that number, unless Old Cajun counts his pipes to give us a true number. Bradley, don't be lazy, count those bad boys and give us number.
foggy that is also large number, damn, 90 Dunhills is a hell off a collection. If you want, you can leave your pipes to me and I will make sure I get top dollar for them when you go. Let's see 168 pipes at 10.00 a piece, 1680.00 is a good number I can give to your family. lol
You guys with 100 pipe collections, do you smoke everyone or do you have many collectibles that will not be smoked? I understand why you would not smoke many of them as the value of a new pipe or one that is barely smoked does bring many more dollars. Also do you spend time dusting those pipes that don't get smoked and do you hire someone to do it? lol
Mike, you had better put your number much higher, a guy like you should own at least 35 pipes, it is unseemly you have so few. lol It isn't like you don't have access or resources. I think you should have at least a dozen Bo Norhds buddy.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I currently have 60 pipes, but 7 of those don't get smoked as they are historical or novelty pieces. The coolest thing I think, is that 33 of the 60 were gifted to me. And 18 of those were gifted to me by guys on this forum. We got some generous folks around here.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Around 30 so far, including two cobs that have been recent additions. Ten of the overall total are what might be called artisan, including Askwith's, Eltang, Neerup and Northern Briars plus a single Larrysson. These, with the rest, which include Petersons, Savinelli's and Falcons plus four estate pipes that I love (GBDs, Stanwell and Peterson too) are all smoked and enjoyed in their rotation. I will probably get a handful more in the next year, but I am slowing down now and I think an upper limit is approaching rapidly. There are only so many pipes that you can comfortably accommodate, both for smoking and for storage. Some get an outing only every now and then and I have my favourites, of course. Interestingly, among those favourites is a simple estate Apple straight, quite unpretentious but, goodness, what a smoke it delivers. So, a contented man at the moment and, hopefully, the PAD will be diminishing to ease the strain on the wallet and the tobacco will become the main focus in future.

Enjoy your pipes today, ladies and gentlemen.

Steve

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I think 45, and all but one are Petersons. The one that isn't a Peterson is my first pipe; a Dr. Grabow Riviera, which I keep in the car "for emergencies".
Of the 45, ten are Hand-Made House Pipes, and ten are B42 (Darwins). These twenty all have various finishes: rusticated, sandblast, oak, terracotta, standard, premier, supreme, silver-capped, etc. These are my regular smokers and are my favorites.
My latest purchase was an unsmoked Peterson Kapmeer billiard I got last week essentially for "free" using eBay Bucks.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
God knows. Between my office in NJ, my home in the city and the UK I couldn't put a number on how many I own. Too many thats for sure!

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
12 with 2 more coming shortly. Nothing outrageously expensive. 4 brighams, 2 chacoms, 2 random estates, 2 savinellis, 1 jeantet, and 1 cob

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have a couple hundred I guess. I'm like Bradley.... I have a program on my iPhone called "OneNote". I try to photograph each pipe and log what I paid (or close as I can remember) and what it's worth today. My oldest son knows about it but wifie stays in the dark....!

Aug 1, 2012
Including the project pipes I currently own over 100 (in the range of 115 last I checked) but I only have 7 with me. The rest are in storage with my tobacco cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.