New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
500 lbs x 16 oz per pound = 8,000 oz. While it varies, say 10 bowls per oz to make the math easy. So 80,000 bowls. I have somewhere around 80 pipes so you're looking at 1,000 bowls per pipe if evenly distributed. Which is clearly not the case. We're I to somehow miraculously live long enough to smoke all my tobacco, some pipes would undoubtedly see 2,500 or more bowls.

Since we're doing math, I average 5 to 6 bowls per day. To make the math simple, go with 5. 80,000 divided by 5 equates 16,000 days. That equates to 43 years and change. So I'd need to live to 108. I will not be buying much tobacco moving forward.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I'm in the category of not knowing exactly how many pipes I have, and I don't know how much tobaccy I have ether. If I had to guess, I'd say I have, in the neighborhood, of 50-75 pipes. I have maybe 100 tins squirreled away and have maybe 80-100 mason jars stashed here and there. I am sparingly smoking on my last stash of Frog Morton: Across the Pond, (and am looking for a replacement for that hence all the mason jars). So if I keep buying tobaccy, I figure I'll have enough for my Funeral Pyre when I take my Dirt Nap to the land of Groundhog mailmen...rotf

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Math works of you never spill or just throw away tobaccos. Heck, I end up with more spilled than in my pipe most of the time. Sometimes I get sick of a tobacco and just throw it away, or gove tins away like cigars when a baby gets squirted out. I have well over 400 pounds pf boended tobacco and just about as much homegrown waiting to be blended. Hell, it’s pipe tobacco, the cheapest shit in the world. I spill it as I walk to and fro. It’s not like the stuff is valuable or anything.
Obviously @cosmicfolklore you’re NOT an AUSSIE ?

Mar 1, 2014
I have just done some math for fun to see how many pipefuls would I smoke out of each pipe if I smoked all the tobacco from the cellar. My pipes in average take about 3 grams of tobacco, I own 15 pipes and around 8kg of tobacco. To smoke it all each pipe would be smoked 177 times. I realised I need more tobacco. :LOL:
How many pipefuls would your pipes take with your current stash of tobacco?
Be careful, next time you tally up your cellar it'll probably take 200 years to smoke through.

Obviously @cosmicfolklore you’re NOT an AUSSIE ?
Ha ha, no... I imagine you guys loading pipes over sheets of paper to catch your spoilage like a jeweler measuring out gold grains, and then slipping it all back into the tins.
Me, I'm like shaking the shit out as I walk down the road like I'm spreading fairy dust and good cheer. The floor of my smoking room is covered in tobacco and cat hair. My wife makes me vacuum in there when she sees a significant amount of tobacco on the bottoms of my socks, ha ha.
Any attempt to predict how many pipe fulls of tobacco I have is like measuring how much water I will use in my lifetime.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an interesting computation, but I'm not motivated to do it. What amazes me is how long my stash of tobacco lasts me. My tobacco purchases are modest, a few baggies, tins, or pouches at time, with a few unopened tubs. If I never bought any tobacco, I feel my current supply would last me ten years or more. Most of the tobacco I smoke is unintentionally aged at least several years, sometimes a good deal more. No pressure to stock up. Apparently I already have.

E=mc(squared)

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
It's hard to understand how is it possible not to know how many pipes you have but if one smokes 10+ bowls a day I can immagine we're talking about big numbers, some people also smoke cobs, sell or trade their pipes etc. and the equation gets complicated.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Elric
It's hard to understand how is it possible not to know how many pipes you have but if one smokes 10+ bowls a day I can immagine we're talking about big numbers, some people also smoke cobs, sell or trade their pipes etc. and the equation gets complicated.
Well, some of my pipes are in my studio, some are in the barn, some are in my truck, my wife's car... I never have them all together to count them. I do know that I have over 100, and it keeps growing.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
Well, some of my pipes are in my studio, some are in the barn, some are in my truck, my wife's car... I never have them all together to count them. I do know that I have over 100, and it keeps growing.
Yeah, and If you go somewhere, and don't have a pipe in your pocket, chances are there's one stashed close! That sounds like a Pretty good plan to me....:)