PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
What if there were only, say, eight pipe smokers left in the world? Would it affect anything you did, re pipe smoking? (That's assuming an adequate supple of tobacco, from any source, including your stash.) Personally, I wouldn't give half a rat's ass if I were the last pipesmokerly mofo standing. I'd still indulge in my hellish "vice," enjoying the same nicotinic frisson as before.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What if there were only, say, eight pipe smokers left in the world? Would it affect anything you did, re pipe smoking? (That's assuming an adequate supple of tobacco, from any source, including your stash.) Personally, I wouldn't give half a rat's ass if I were the last pipesmokerly mofo standing. I'd still indulge in my hellish "vice," enjoying the same nicotinic frisson as before.

There would be a great surplus of oxblood red Algerian pipes for sure, and certain.:)

Reactions: trudger
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I bet there are more 'closet' or infrequent smokers out there that are not counted. For 25 years I smoked only away from home usually when on my motorcycle. If I was surveyed during that time there is no way I would admit to being a smoker. The survey would ask some qualifying term such as 'active' or how many bowls average a week which I would underestimate. Also, if they asked me with my name attached or at my doctors office I would say 'no' so that it was not in my chart and possibly increase my insurance rates if I ever wanted to get insurance outside of my work. I may be paranoid, but I don't want it on my government tally ESG score either. The switch to digital currency will be the time that all plays out. Who knows how they will use that in 20 years or so. I certainly would answer 'no' if my wife was present, even though I never hid it from her.

I may have had 6-7 pipes and tobacco stuffed in a drawer and bought several tins or pouches before each vacation. I had a cigar humidor and carried cigars to smoke while riding, as a pipe just does not work at 80 MPH.

I am sure that I was not alone, and would not be in any of the statistics. By your definition I would not qualify as a pipe smoker either.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
I bet there are more 'closet' or infrequent smokers out there that are not counted. For 25 years I smoked only away from home usually when on my motorcycle. If I was surveyed during that time there is no way I would admit to being a smoker. The survey would ask some qualifying term such as 'active' or how many bowls average a week which I would underestimate. Also, if they asked me with my name attached or at my doctors office I would say 'no' so that it was not in my chart and possibly increase my insurance rates if I ever wanted to get insurance outside of my work. I may be paranoid, but I don't want it on my government tally ESG score either. The switch to digital currency will be the time that all plays out. Who knows how they will use that in 20 years or so. I certainly would answer 'no' if my wife was present, even though I never hid it from her.

I may have had 6-7 pipes and tobacco stuffed in a drawer and bought several tins or pouches before each vacation. I had a cigar humidor and carried cigars to smoke while riding, as a pipe just does not work at 80 MPH.

I am sure that I was not alone, and would not be in any of the statistics. By your definition I would not qualify as a pipe smoker either.
Ahh if only it had been available when you rode your bike. I don't know if it worked at 80 MPH but the ad says it would work at 60 MPH.

Biker Pipe.jpg

mlaw1969

Lurker
Oct 31, 2023
Rockford IL
A fair estimate

Count all the pipes Grabow and Missouri Meerscahum sell a year.

About a million.

Are half sitting in a drawer?

Maybe one tenth of one per cent can pronounce Latakia.

That’s about 335 thousand Americans.
Folks lie.. but Google and the CDC are probably spot on 🙄