PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A little blurb of information:

Xxxx

To assess recent national estimates of commercial tobacco use among U.S. persons aged ≥18 years, CDC, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Cancer Institute analyzed 2021 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) data. In 2021, an estimated 46 million U.S. adults (18.7%) reported currently using any tobacco product, including cigarettes (11.5%), e-cigarettes (4.5%), cigars (3.5%), smokeless tobacco (2.1%), and pipes (including hookah)* (0.9%). Among those who used tobacco products, 77.5% reported using combustible products (cigarettes, cigars, or pipes), and 18.1% reported using two or more tobacco products.

Xxxxx

There have to be a few other pipe smokers in this county of 16,000 because one package liquor store and one grocery store carry a tiny selection of real pipe tobacco.

But I don’t know any, besides me.

But we pipe smokers are few and far between.

And let’s divide up the pipe smokers for this discussion. A lot of cigarette and cigar smokers own a few pipes.

Let’s call a person a pipe smoker if they smoke a pipe at least a few times a week. Once in a while isn’t enough, to qualify as a regular pipe smoker.

And to drill down further, a devoted pipe smoker no longer gets tongue bite, their pipe doesn’t gurgle, and they have lots of tampers, and they fire up a pipe with morning coffee.

I’d say one person in a thousand today is a die hard, leather tongued, never miss a payment devoted pipe smoker.

Most of em’ are likely reading this.:)

Does anybody else have a better estimate?

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Five hundred eighteen thousand one hundred, in the US. Based off the idea that of the 47 million tobacco users give or take, and approx 1.1% of those users are pipe smokers (according to a cursory google check with CDC results).
Besides, folks lie, especially about their vices. I have a feeling that their is a lot more use out in the world than folks will admit to, ya know?

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A relevant question: How many here participated in that survey? See my point?

And something else.

To read those figures there are only 2% smokeless users.

The entire back of the counter in every gas station is nothing but cans of dip, over a dozen selections. One or two pouches of loose leaf.

There’s a lot of Skoal dippers.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Five hundred eighteen thousand one hundred, in the US. Based off the idea that of the 47 million tobacco users give or take, and approx 1.1% of those users are pipe smokers (according to a cursory google check with CDC results).
Besides, folks lie, especially about their vices. I have a feeling that there is a lot more use out in the world than folks will admit to, ya know?

A fair estimate

Count all the pipes Grabow and Missouri Meerscahum sell a year.

About a million.

Are half sitting in a drawer?

Maybe one tenth of one per cent can pronounce Latakia.

That’s about 335 thousand Americans.

• Haha
Reactions: Jacob74

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is a question I’ve often wondered about. Apparently there are enough to support a diverse market filled with a surprising amount of choices. For this I am grateful.

Look here:

The tax on loose cigarette tobacco is $26 a pound and on pipe tobacco $2.83 a pound.

IMG_6739.jpegIMG_6764.jpeg

There are enough of us who smoke real, premium pipe tobacco the blenders can charge us $1.50 an ounce and up instead of 75 cents an ounce.

By the way the swill is a good smoke in a pipe, it just tastes like a cigarette.

Do pipe smokers who get a nicotine fix on $10 a pound tobacco count as pipe smokers? A few use a pipe for RYO tobacco.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The tax on loose cigarette tobacco is $26 a pound and on pipe tobacco $2.83 a pound.
Your first image is RYO. They print pipe tobacco on the bag to avoid heavier taxes.

And something else.

To read those figures there are only 2% smokeless users.

The entire back of the counter in every gas station is nothing but cans of dip, over a dozen selections. One or two pouches of loose leaf.

There’s a lot of Skoal dippers.
Without chewing tobacco, the Dark Fired Kentucky market would cease to exist.

Count all the pipes Grabow and Missouri Meerscahum sell a year.
Most of those likely aren't going for tobacco use.

can charge us $1.50 an ounce
Where are you finding premium tobacco that cheap?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Your first image is RYO. They print pipe tobacco on the bag to avoid heavier taxes.

Without chewing tobacco, the Dark Fired Kentucky market would cease to exist.

Most of those likely aren't going for tobacco use.

Where are you finding premium tobacco that cheap?

Every smokeshop in Missouri has RYO grade shag “pipe tobacco” for 75 cents an ounce and actual, tasty, moist, premium pipe tobacco for $1.50 an ounce.

Sutliff makes this and it’s yummy as all get out sweet burley

IMG_6774.jpeg

They’ll have a full wall of the RYO grade but, a dozen flavors of premium pipe tobacco in one and a half ounce pouches and 12 ounce bags.

They’ll sell Missouri Meerscahum and Grabow pipes, too, pipe cleaners and reamers and tampers.

The little Chinese knock offs aren’t for tobacco maybe, or maybe kids don’t know quality. Weed is 100% legal here and there are lots of weed only dispensaries, the smoke shops don’t cater to pot smokers.

They have a hard time keeping some of the premium pipe tobacco flavors in stock.

There are a lot of real pipe smokers that get counted with the RYO smokers.

And a few, not many, pipe smokers buy the cheap stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
There have to be good industry statistics on this sort of thing. Anyone in a position to know?
I imagine Sutliff and Laudisi have a fair inclination about this, at least in the US market. Given that they both manufacture, distribute and import tobacco for B&Ms as well as run major online retail stores themselves.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country

How Many Pipe Smokers are There?​

Well, let's see: there's you, me, Kevin, sablebrush52, georged, cosmicfolklore, Chasing Embers, JimInks (at the rate he goes through tobacco he should be equivalent to at least 50 pipe-smokers), jpmcwjr, warren, woodsroad, ashdigger, tbradsim1, Haji (on second thought, wasn't he obsessed wtih lighters?) kcghost, Brian Levine, condorlover1, didimauw, jguss, ssjones, starcat (no, wait, we don't know if he/she is still smoking)...
1705434526973.png

(Still typing names...)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Missouri has some ridiculously cheap places to buy cheap tobacco. But I’ll pass. I just don’t find it that good.

The any other tobacco tax is 10% of wholesale here, lowest in the civilized world.

By the way our medical weed tax is the lowest on the planet at 4%.:)

Weed for sinful purposes and not medical is taxed at 6%

Our cig tax is 17 cents a pack

Gas tax is cheap but we had to pave a few roads, so it’s 24 cents a gallon plus a mail in rebate over 19.5 cents for the complainers —-seriously

The tax bill on my 20 acres of timber in Spout Spring Hollow dipped below $8 this last year to $7.92

And people whine, bitch, moan, groan and complain constantly in the barber shop of the crushing tax burden.:)

But in the home of the corn cob pipe in all my sixty five years I have not ever one time seen a man smoke a cob in public, I remember. Surely years ago I saw one, but I don’t remember it.

The old men in the barber shop smoked Grabows.

Last edited:
Reactions: OverMountain

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In his dreams probably.

Missouri still has $2 a pack cigarettes, recently increased to $2.25 pack and $20 a carton. 24/7 from Oklahoma.

By far the largest seller of 1 1/2 ounce codger tobacco is Half and Half, as cheap as $3.50 a pouch.

And when I say there are choices of $20 a 12 ounce bag true pipe tobacco in the shops there are Sutliff and Lane both to choose from. Most are cavendishes.

My favorite is the tart cherry—-sour cherry—Sutliff blend for Smoker Friendly.

And all those bulk flavors come in $5 pouches.

Until Covid gave them an excuse to end it the majority of small cafes in Missouri allowed smoking anywhere.

Some still do bring an ashtray.

To put a Missourian in a segregated smoking area would cause him to walk away. If he can smoke he can smoke, but he won’t smoke in a certain place.