PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Baskerville, you really should give trying a pound of 1Q serious consideration.

It has several qualities that makes it my "go to" smoke.

IMHO

It burns well, you can smoke it all day, it is mild, passers-by and those at home will enjoy the room note, and it it tastes good.

I receive, and have received many compliments from those around me. 1Q's aroma facilitates that "reminiscing with a stranger" factor. And, I think Baskervilleslady will appreciate it as well. :D

Another aspect of 1Q is that it is banal practicality incarnate... It allows one's palate to rest.

Rather than smoking many different blends in the course of a day or two and, by extension, not really enjoying them on their own merits because the different flavors are lost in the confusion of flavors. If you smoke 1Q for a day or two before stoking up a bowl of that favorite "boutique" blend you will be pleasantly surprised. 1Q by virtue of its unexceptional nature, really helps the flavors pop when you smoke that favorite, or that I finally found it blend... I tend to really enjoy those blends much more because the flavors become so vibrant after a brief respite.

It's a blend that you don't have to think about when you just want a pipe.

Lastly... it won't bust the budget.

:puffy:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
That little tidbit should be stickied as a 1-Q primer somewhere, Lawrence! Well said!
-Jason

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
*My question is, is how do you know you have 1Q? Theirs many house blends at the local place here. So have many of you guys had 1Q previously and can match the blend to the blends that you have found locally or do you just know? haha. I've read descriptions of the taste, but hasn't provided much help with determining a blend.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Nah, we just ask. If you smoke Mac Baren's Golden Dansk, it is similar to 1-Q Altadis makes a clone also called 1M, but many shops call it something else. One of the local B&M's calls it "Her Favorite".
-Jason

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
so is 1-Q the same everywhere or is it blended different according to the store if they renamed it?

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
Anyone want to take a shot at what passes for 1Q here:
https://www.bocabenningtons.com/items.php?type_id=8&prev_type_id=
There are a couple of pages.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
so is 1-Q the same everywhere or is it blended different according to the store if they renamed it?

I don't believe that it is specially blended.

No need to. It's known all over as 1Q and the names just seem to be a "thing" that the locals like to do to match the decor... so to speak.
Edit: @Jankomatic... I'll take a shot at... #1275 No. 55, Something Special

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
It is a really pleasant, unobtrusive smoke. If I had a compare it to a cereal - it would be Quaker Oats Oatmeal with brown sugar and honey. :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A lady stopped by the B&M 6 months ago on an errand for her husband and asked a new guy at the counter of "IQ". It took all of 4 seconds for us regulars to shout at once,"She wants Exotic Honey." That's the store name for 1Q.

Everybody in the world knows it even if they've never had it.

carlbc

Lurker
May 18, 2011
It was called Fireside at The Tobacco Taverne in State College, Pa. That b&m was sadly closed 10+ years ago.
:crazy: Carl

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Stopped by my local B&M and asked for 1Q and was presented with "Special #1".
The owner then told me about how he was making this blend by mixing two Lane Limited blends together before 1Q came out and how after a conversation with his Lane Limited rep. 1Q suddenly appeared. -- Not sure if I really believe this story, but thought it was an interesting tidbit to pass along...who knows maybe it's true.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
J. Paul Tucker's Oxmoor Smoke Shop

Louisville, KY
He claims to have opened in 1973 or 1975 maybe?

the website is http:www.jpaultucker.com

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I believe 1Q has been around a lot longer than that.

The Tinder Box has been selling Lane 1Q as Wilshire from much earlier.

One of the Tinder Boxes here in Birmingham was opened in 1972, and became The Briary.

When I bought my first pipe from them, the tobacco I bought was Wilshire.

All of the Tinder Boxes are gone here, but not forgotten.

I think he's pulling your leg. :D

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
At edwards pipe and tobacco it is called quickdraw. Been smoking it for awhile and really enjoyed it and decided to talk to the manager there one day about it and come to find out its their name for 1Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.