How Many Different Blends Have You Tried?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

How many different blends have you tried so far?
When I decided to smoke a pipe my goal was to try as many different tobaccos as possible and eventually reorder those that are something special. Counting all together gets me to the number 122, including the unopened tins so far. Not a lot but for almost 3 years of smoking I'm more than happy. It should take quite some time to smoke through all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Akousticplyr

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Early on my interests were focused on Virginia’s and Virginia-perique blends, ribbons and flakes. I haven’t sampled nearly as many tobaccos as some here, but probably several hundred permutations of Virginia and Virginia Perique over 30 years.
Also I would estimate that 50% of these were from the McClelland brand lines or tins they produced for others, so thank you McClelland for all the great Virginia and Virginia Perique tobaccos.

Reactions: luigi

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess about 100 but that could be low. Forums members have sent me many samples. They/you have upped my game considerably.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve been engaging in pipery for almost exactly one year. I think I’ve only tried around 40 blends. I have 5 or 6 cellared that I’ve yet to try (Sun Bear being one of them ?). Of said 40, I have around 6-7 that I rotate heavily, 8 or 9 I don’t care for, and 2 that I flat threw in the trash after a few bowls. The journey and trail/error is what makes this hobby so rewarding.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
If I had to venture a guess, probably a conservitive number is probably around 60 or so? I havent been keeping count. But considering I have about 10 blends on hand at any given time, and I usually pick up 2-3 new things to try when I order favorites...sounds about right

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
I'm guessing I've tried about 50, give or take a few here and there. I have several tins I've heard about but have not opened them yet, too many open tins right now.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I should write that my early years of smoking, the first thirty, were when a shop owner would quickly open a tin so a customer try a bowl full. The tin was then available for any customer who wished to try it. I certainly wasn't buying tins of untried blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.