PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Two or more ways to get hooked on cig. Nicotine, and habitual are two big one. If it's nicotine, you have to somehow lower the dosage till you don't need it anymore. Habitual smoker who isn't hooked on nicotine, yeah really, just need something else to distract from smoking. I suggest sex.

I'm more than likely hooked on nicotine, but don't really have problem quitting when I want. Don't get addicted to too many things. When I quit first time when my first son was born, I throw away the last pack and Bic and that was it. Second time, I didn't want to quit. So used vape. Then realized, I like tobacco. So started smoking cig again. I know it's not good for me, but I prefer smoking over not smoking.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never understood addiction.
Then read up on it, both types, physical and mental. Increasing your knowledge about will be an asset when dealing with those with an addictive personality in particular. Life ain't as simple as you seem to believe. It's not easy living with an addictive personality. A little understanding might help you to empathize with others. That's a great thing, empathy is.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It varies for me quite a bit. When I’m in New York, it’s usually none. All of my pipes are in Pennsylvania. I’ve thought about keeping some in New York, but there usually isn’t enough time to smoke after work on those days. Other nights, I can usually fit in two different pipes in an evening, with each pipe lasting ninety minutes to two hours of smoking time. On Saturdays, when I watch UFC (more often than not, a six hour event, followed by an hour long post-show), I usually use a larger chambered pipe which will last four to five hours depending on the cut of tobacco. I’ll sometimes have a pipe before or after that in the more normal ninety to one-hundred-twenty minute smoking time range.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I seem to average one bowl every other day. On days that I smoke two bowls, I find I enjoy the second significantly less.

I also prefer to smoke when I can just stop, sit, and enjoy. I rarely smoke while I'm doing something else like yard work or what have you.

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I usually smoke 2 to 3 bowls/Day. Trying to quit the vape so need to smoke more. The Problem is I can only smoke in the kitchen.

Reactions: Tate

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me it has varied a fair amount over the decades. When I would allow myself to smoke my pipe as I please, unfettered, for a lot of years it would average between 8-12 bowls a day. When I have tried/worked at being “regulated” in some fashion, sometimes it would be (a challenging) zero, or up to 1-4 bowls a day.

Reactions: Tate
G

Gimlet

At least ten. I'm unmarried and live alone so I smoke what I like, when I like and where I like. But like @Snook I like to take time to enjoy my smoke, so never while I'm working or otherwise occupied. I want to be able to settle down and enjoy my pipe, so mostly I smoke from my armchair in the evening but I also greatly enjoy a bowl when I'm driving.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
To me a pipe is not a nictotine drip while working, but a complement to relaxation in the evening. It is an enjoyment for when the day's work is done -- like a cup of tea. My ideal is one pipe each evening.

After surviving cancer, I thought that I'd go down to smoking just one day a week -- on Sundays. Just to play it safe.
But lately I've been smoking about two bowls each evening -- mainly because I'm excited to try some new blends.
Soon I should settle back into smoking just on Sundays (and special occasions).

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
As much as possible. Some days are more conducive to this than others. I don’t smoke inside the home as I’m the only smoker in the household…amongst other reason's.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
To me a pipe is not a nictotine drip while working, but a complement to relaxation in the evening. It is an enjoyment for when the day's work is done -- like a cup of tea. My ideal is one pipe each evening.

After surviving cancer, I thought that I'd go down to smoking just one day a week -- on Sundays. Just to play it safe.
But lately I've been smoking about two bowls each evening -- mainly because I'm excited to try some new blends.
Soon I should settle back into smoking just on Sundays (and special occasions).
Always glad to see you around here, no matter how (in)frequently you may post in WAYS.