PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lord only knows. I tried a lot of blends back in college - many of which are no longer around - and I have no idea how many - at least 75 or so. I would take a SWAG for a total and say 300.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
42. The answer is 42,
Which has the cross-sum 6...you know who "wears" the 6, don't you? 42 is yet another trick by Mr. D himself to fool us. The answer should be 8 and its multiples - for infinity! Or π ...(which essentially is also 8..) Okay...enough hocus pocus for today :lol:
The Devil, you say! Yes, he's got a part in my smoking habits.

Mar 29, 2016
Close to 200, most of which are on Tobacco Reviews. I have about 30 more to try in my cellar and then no more. I already have my firm favorites.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I need to update my master spreadsheet, since the last several month's TADs need to be inputted. The Row count is 1555, and I'm guessing there are a few dozen new blends in scattered boxes that need to be cataloged. However, of these are several hundred that register zeroes, meaning that they haven't been sampled yet. On the other hand, there are a couple of hundred strays that I have sampled at club meetings and shows that did not earn separate rows in the file. Now, at the rate of several bowls a day, there is no way that I'm even close to the sheer poundage consumed by the inestimable Jinx, but I do like my variety as I attempt to demote a few dozen Cellar dwellers in my goal to reduce my stash to just the Top300. In the course of a month, I pretty much puff 60 to 80 separate blends out of the 90 or so in the period. Until I get around to popping the several hundred unpuffed blends, I would guess I've sampled 1200 separate blends. It's too bad I never went to a true database, or I would have a firm number. I'm too busy ffishing right now to take the time to manually churn through the spreadsheets to figure out the exact answer.
hp

les

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My palate is too unrefined for me to offer reviews, so I cannot use that as a measure. However I would say at least 100 since I am pretty adventurous in general and I am a two-time box pass participant.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I really can't count them as I don't keep a diary. I have close to a hundred in the cellar. My sample rate is slowing down. I've made a conscious decision to limit my rotation to one blend of any variety. For example, I have open an English, a burley, an Boswell aromatic, a VaPer, a deer tongue blend, a Lakeland, and sometimes an OTC.
Push me and I'd guess in the 200 to 300 range.
Pax

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I went back through, using Tobacco Reviews, and was able to establish with certainty; 173 blends. I know there is probably a couple more that I'm forgetting, and there are multiple blends that I've tried a bowl of here or there at pipe meet ups, but those blends escape me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks is in his own league on breadth of pipe smoking experience. I don't even imagine that I could/would do that. It's just good to have some access to his reviews and information on it all. He's like the New York Public Library of pipe tobacco blends. Or maybe the Library of Congress.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I have no clue. I never really did a good job of keeping track. I put some of it in tobaccocellar.com but I've done a horrible job at it.
At this point I have about 60 mason jars and I still have a box with about 25 blends still to try. I've stopped buying more as it's probably going to take me a year or two to open those 25.
If I have to guess I'd say in the range of 100 to 200. Some how I still have 160 on my wishlist on smokingpipes.com that I haven't tried yet. I don't know how that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.