PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docman21

Lurker
Feb 7, 2011
Im a newb and my question is,

I've heard to leave a small amount of tobacco in the bowl and let it cool then clean..

the question is, how low is too low?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've never heard that. I smoke 'em to the bottom if I can do so without overheating the pipe -- or suckin' ash. :lol:

Having some unburnt residue is inevitable if the burn of the ember isn't perfectly symmetrical;

but this is not something I usually pay attention to.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I reload unburnt tobacco into the middle of the bowl of my next smoke. Most latakia blends suit each other very well. I never waste any tobacco. A layered smoke like an ice cream parfait is delicious.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
smoke it until you dont enjoy the bowl any more, after all this is something that should be pleasurable.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I try to burn every last bit of tobacco in the bowl. I think this insures against a pipe going "sour" because the moisture is evaporated instead of soaking into the heel of the pipe.
A few charred black pieces (not totally burned) is OK, but I try never to find any brown, unsinged pieces.
When relighting near the bottom, run the spoon of the pipe nail down the inside wall OPPOSITE the draft hole. The relight will pull the fire across the bottom and light any unburned tobac.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm with Jimbo on this one. I make an effort to burn all the tobacco in my bowl to ash.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice tip, Jimbo
When relighting near the bottom, run the spoon of the pipe nail down the inside wall OPPOSITE the draft hole. The relight will pull the fire across the bottom and light any unburned tobac.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
I have to say,that I agree with the others. I try to smoke till it's all gone or burnt at least. 8)

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I agree that Jimbo has a good point. Most of the time, these Meerschaums

completely incinerate the tobacco load, due to their high degree of absorbency.

However, if the last bit of tobacco doesn't taste good, then it becomes dottle.

This is infrequent and doesn't seem to sour a Pipe, as it would if this was

done frequently.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I'm not that versed with meers to make an opinion there, but the bottom of the tobac is not supposed to taste as good as the top. If you want to throw a cigar away after it's only half finished, that's fine too, but if the pipe tobac is good, I make an effort to smoke it all, even if the last is somewhat rank. I think it's better for the pipe.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My thought is"If it works for you, then it is right, for you. The only hard and fast rule is rules were made to be broken. Including that one!

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
"When relighting near the bottom, run the spoon of the pipe nail down the inside wall OPPOSITE the draft hole. The relight will pull the fire across the bottom and light any unburned tobac"
Thanks for that tip, Just used it! :))

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
Maybe it's just me, but I find it difficult to smoke my pipes until all the tobacco is burnt. At the end of my smoke there is always a small amount of tobacco left behind. If I try to smoke it, I light up, draw and then have to light up again and again. It also seems that the last bit of tobacco doesn't taste the same, so I just dump it.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
One should never have less than 5#'s on hand.....various blends of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.