How Long Will You Let An Unfinished Bowl Sit?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Had a cob full of War Horse bar I had just lit and sat on the fire pit last winter. One of the dogs must have done a tail sweep and knocked it behind the pit. Found it while cleaning after moving the heavy thing to clean behind it. So, fired it up........was not what I would call “enjoyable” but smoked it anyway

Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Johnny_ Pipecleaner wrote:
I think the member who said they run a pipe cleaner before leaving it sit has the right idea.

Beyond that I'd wager the shelf life may have to do with the blend being smoked. Speaking of which, if it was just some OTC blend I'd be more inclined to chuck it and start anew.

Personally the longest I let one sit is overnight. After running a pipe cleaner through, of course

Heh! Pipecleaners, huh? While it doesn't hurt to do so, it doesn't make the remains better. They have to be dry enough to light well, and certainly to not get moldy!

As it happens, I don't routinely run a pipe cleaner through the stem after a smoke. I will usually do so after the next smoke has started to loosen the accumulation of gunk in the airway. YMMV.

Reactions: kurtbob

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I usually finish a bowl I start but have resumed occasionally on the next day. If I sit an unfinished pipe down, knowing it will be there for a while, I hit the airway with a pipe cleaner and also remove what ash is on top and gently tamp it back to "even".

There is a whole sub-cult of pipers who like to not finish their pipes based on the changes it causes to flavor, the Delayed Gratification Technique people. I've noticed that I can get the preferred "late bowl" flavors earlier with ODF using the DGT method. I simply don't have the time and forethought to invest in making it a habit.

From SP website:

DGT — or Delayed Gratification Technique — is fundamentally a lighting and smoking practice connected to the desire to suss out transformed flavors from a single bowl. In practice, it's pretty simple: pack the pipe, get a charring light going, take a few puffs (or more), take account of the initial flavor, and then put the pipe down for some indeterminate period of time before getting back to it. There's no hard and fast rule on how exactly to DGT; the basic premise is to let a warm pipe caramelize, stove, or stew in its own juices long enough to wholly modify or modify aspects of the tobacco's flavor once one returns to smoking it. The rigidity and discipline surrounding any specific methodology, however, is subject to the fancy of the individual pipe smoker.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
From SP website:

DGT — or Delayed Gratification Technique — is fundamentally a lighting and smoking practice connected to the desire to suss out transformed flavors from a single bowl. In practice, it's pretty simple: pack the pipe, get a charring light going, take a few puffs (or more), take account of the initial flavor, and then put the pipe down for some indeterminate period of time before getting back to it. There's no hard and fast rule on how exactly to DGT; the basic premise is to let a warm pipe caramelize, stove, or stew in its own juices long enough to wholly modify or modify aspects of the tobacco's flavor once one returns to smoking it. The rigidity and discipline surrounding any specific methodology, however, is subject to the fancy of the individual pipe smoker.

View attachment 12876
I guess I didn't know what I did normally was DGT..
I often pack a bowl, and give it a few charring lights before leaving home but not actually lighting it.
Then I light it fully later in the car or just later in time.
I mainly do it so the tobacco isn't loose and falling out of the top of the chamber.

I also sometimes pack the bowl and let it sit in the bowl a day before doing this.
is that Ultra-DGT?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
As Cosmic said, it depends on the blend. I actually think some Virginia blends are improved by doing this, and I also like most english and dark fired blends DGTd as well. Goopey burley aro blends are more likely to taste like poo though. YMMV. I very rarely smoke a whole bowl at once, unless I'm using a little pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.