How Long Will You Let An Unfinished Bowl Sit?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Hey all, just put down my Peterson's Bulldog. It is about halfway smoked, and I was just wondering how long will it be good for? The tobacco that is (ODF btw).
What are the downsides of leaving partially smoked bowls too long? And how long would be "too long"?
Keen to hear your thoughts, thanks.

Reactions: Bowie

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
You should smoke it before it starts to mold, however I suggest you toss if and pack a new one when you would like to smoke again. I am not one for being wasteful especially when it come to food as mamma allaways told me to clean uppa my plate! But, I just toss it out sometime the relight is quite harsh and tastes foul which is never quite as nice as a clean fresh bowl.

That being said, I have let a bowl go out and smoked it 1/2 hr or so later, when I didn't have anymore tobacco with me, so that was more like an end of days type situation. So if it's not the end of the world, live alittle and start fresh!

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I'm the world's worst at setting a pipe down, running off to do something and coming back to it some while later.

That said, I never leave a partially smoked bowl out overnite. Some folks do and that's fine. We all do things at different speeds. To me, it just tastes stale.

Ymmv here.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke mostly burley and I don't let the pipe sit longer then overnight. Any longer and the blend loses something and tastes bitter. I get the same result from Latakia based blends. Straight Virginias are better, they can sit for a couple of days with no loss of flavor. Aromatics are dumped, even if I've only smoked a half a bowl.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is rare for me not to finish a bowl once I have started. In those cases I might smoke it an hour or so later but that is about it. I don't do over night as to my tastes the tobacco has lost it's best parts.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd probably try a week-old pipe bowl, but in fact I nearly always smoke it the next day, and don't usually leave it overnight. I think two days has been my limit, and only because I was real busy.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I do 2 days everyonce and a while... if It tastes bad I toss it and lid up a new one. sometimes it’s great!

I dont running out of tobacco when I’d like a long smoke but sometimes I don’t have the time to smoke what I’ve packed...

Meh, win some lose some, but really were smoking a pipe it’s almost all win!

Reactions: kurtbob and jpmcwjr

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I think the member who said they run a pipe cleaner before leaving it sit has the right idea.

Beyond that I'd wager the shelf life may have to do with the blend being smoked. Speaking of which, if it was just some OTC blend I'd be more inclined to chuck it and start anew.

Personally the longest I let one sit is overnight. After running a pipe cleaner through, of course

Reactions: kurtbob

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Maybe a few hours and only if there's more than half a bowl left. Otherwise it gets dumped and the pipe gets cleaned. It's kind of like leftovers in the fridge - 4 days and it's gone, with a few rare exceptions.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.