Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Started at age 15 I seem to remember. I will be 60 next year. Everyone in the family smoked a pipe with the exception of the women although I often wondered about my Auntie Winnifred and her cigar habit. Along the way I used to smoke Turkish cigarettes and loved rolling my own with some of the long gone British RYO tobaccos but for the most part it's been pipes all along. I started on Pollock clay pipes and discovered my preferred pipe style in the mid 1980s and the rest as they say is history!
@condorlover1 I'm still smoking vintage Pollock clays; I will smoke one in your honour! @simong gave me a clay bowl of vintage Irish Condor Long Cut at last year's Nottingham Pipe Show.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
When I was 17 I bought a Kaywoodie and some Cherry Blend . . . lit up in my room. My Mom walked by, saw me, and said nothing. That evening she told me that she and my father had discussed it and decided that, if it would keep me from smoking cigarettes, they would not object to my pipe smoking. Been doing it ever since. That was in 1962.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
When I was 22, about 16 years ago.
I'd grown up in an anti-smoking home, and sometimes as a kid I'd said, "I won't smoke, but if I do, it'll be a pipe." I think it was driven by my veneration of St. Clive and Tolkien.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I might have already answered this question, but I now have an exact answer - since Easter morning, April 12th 2020 in my cheap ebay pipe - some Blatter Reserve, a Balkan mixture.
I had been smoking Cuban cigars for a few years and was intrigued by a friend who smoked a pipe. Wasn't sure how I felt with "the look" of a pipe hanging out of my mouth, but I had been watching Matches860 videos for awhile and that master storyteller just drew me in.

Reactions: KORNEY and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When I was 17 I bought a Kaywoodie and some Cherry Blend . . . lit up in my room. My Mom walked by, saw me, and said nothing. That evening she told me that she and my father had discussed it and decided that, if it would keep me from smoking cigarettes, they would not object to my pipe smoking. Been doing it ever since. That was in 1962.
I think that puts you at the senior most spot! Congrats, or something! :) Not too far behind myself.

Where abouts do you live? What are you smoking now?

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Celebrating 15 years this year of pipe smoking. Wandered into my local shop (Main St Cigar) in January of 2009, bought a cheap box pipe and 2 oz of 1Q, and never looked back! I am lucky to have experienced the classic old school vibe of the Faders stores in Baltimore, the camaraderie of joining the Chesapeake Pipe Club, and numerous trips to the Newark and Richmond pipe shows. Not to mention falling in love with McClelland Va’s!

Sadly, I have also watched the Faders shops close up, the pipe club went all virtual, and McClelland ceased production. There have been so many unfortunate changes in the past 15 yrs, but I wouldn’t change a minute of the journey. Have made lifelong friends, have built a cellar and pipe collection that I take pride in, and I very much look forward to the next 15 years and beyond!

-Scott

MidnightPuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2020
Ohio
Started 7 years ago on my 18th birthday. Started with a Dr. Grabow and a pouch of CB White. I've always been a Sherlock Holmes fan and naturally ended up researching and watching videos on pipe smoking, so when 18 came around I just pulled the trigger.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
My father gave me one of his basket pipes and a pouch of Cookie Jar tobacco, on my 14th. birthday, in hopes of dissuading me from smoking cigarettes (I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd been swiping his and my mother's cigarettes for about two years). This was in 1960. Despite scorching my tongue with the Cookie Jar, I soldiered on and now, 64 years later, I'm still a dedicated pipe smoker. In a couple of days, I'll be 78.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Had my first cigar the night before my wedding, so August 13, 1999, and after that I smoked cigars occasionally at party's or at poker night for a few years. Primarily gas station cigars with the exception of buying some good cigars from time to time. Then I started buying a handful of nice cigars to smoke on my back deck on the nice summer nights. In 2010 I decided to buy a humidor and begin stocking up on cigars and only buying nice cigars and ditched the gas station brands completely. I've been collecting and smoking nice cigars since Feb. 2010.

On April 11, 2011, I decided to buy a pipe while at the cigar shop. I bought a Czech made basket pipe (still own it), and some Lane RLP-6. I puffed on that pipe a handful of times, and in December of 2011 I bought my first good pipe, a Savinelli 645 bent apple (still one of my favorite pipes). From there I got more into pipe smoking and have been collecting pipes and stocking up on tobacco since.

Reactions: KORNEY

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I started my pipe journey in 2008, so about 16 years now. I just started smoking cigars about a year ago and it feels like I’ve been smoking them all my life.