PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BulaBeans

Lurker
Feb 16, 2024
Buladean, North Carolina
I started 10 years ago. Mostly because of the romance of this magical briar. But also because of Tokein and Lewis and my Scots-Irish ancestry. My father smoke cigs, as did most of his brothers. He smoked Lucky Strikes and I have distinct memories of the smells of tobacco from other family members too. I also love traditions and the "old ways."

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
About sixty years.

Curiosity raises the impertinent questions yet again. I've answered these question so many times here. So, here we go again. Simple answer; because doing so appeared to attract co-eds. I already chewed when riding the rough stock, on the flight line and when airborne. Cigarettes were started when I was 12. I'm the middle lad of three. I am a retired copper. Rode a murdercycle in my younger years. I've traveled widely. What other personal information do you require?rotf bdw

Oh, before you ask, I do indeed enjoy nicotine.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
52 years...
So, there we were, stuck in the ice somewhere north of Point Barrow, Alaska. One of the men I stood watch with in the engine room was trying to explain the intricacies of a 10-Cylinder, 20 opposing piston, Fairbanks-Morse diesel engine to me when he suggested we get together after the watch so he could explain things better. He said, "If you don't have a pipe, go to the ships store and buy one."

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Started at age 15 I seem to remember. I will be 60 next year. Everyone in the family smoked a pipe with the exception of the women although I often wondered about my Auntie Winnifred and her cigar habit. Along the way I used to smoke Turkish cigarettes and loved rolling my own with some of the long gone British RYO tobaccos but for the most part it's been pipes all along. I started on Pollock clay pipes and discovered my preferred pipe style in the mid 1980s and the rest as they say is history!

seabee1999

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
Mine has been an interesting journey. In 1996 I had my first “cigar”. It was a Capt Black with a plastic tip. A few year later, I enlisted in the US Navy a was stationed in Italy. Once in, I dabbled in finer cigars and cigarettes.

In 2003, I was in Kuwait during the initial parts of the Iraq war. On my birthday, a fellow Seabee gave me my first pipe and pouch of Capt Black. I smoked that a few times but because I didn’t know how to care for it, I tossed the pipe. It soured on me and gargled ever time I smoke it.

After a second stint in Italy, I married and my wife didn’t necessarily like smoking. However, while I was deployed, I’d still find ways to enjoy a good cigar.

Fast forward a few years, I shared with my wife my enjoyment of a good cigar and ironically enough, she got me a small humidor for Father’s Day’.

Well, on another forum that I’m a part of, a fine gentleman was PIF’ing a pipe. This was around 2017 and I won the PIF. Since then, I’ve really enjoyed smoking a pipe fairly regularly. I’m nearly 49 now and just enjoy the experience of smoking a pipe.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I must've first smoked a pipe around 1969... I was in college, and there was a guy in the study lounge of the student union that smoked Borkum Riff. It smelled so good that I bought a cheap pipe and tried it myself. it was good, but not as good as it smelled. I toyed with cigars a little, but always came back to the pipe and Borkum Riff. Over the years, I'd get the urge, usually after catching the wonderful smells out of a smoke shop, and then smoke a few bowls over a couple of days, and then quit for a year or two.

Early this last summer, I got the urge again. I figured though, that the tobacco in the local stores would be all dried up since so few people smoke pipes any more, so I sent in for some mail order. Since I had to pay postage, I tried a few other things too, and one of them, Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening, I LOVED! I also accidentally discovered how perfect churchwarden pipes are for reading!

I seem to be sticking with it this time, and I've accumulated and altered some more pipes into churchwardens. The winter has shut me down a bit, since I pretty much smoke only outside, but more tolerable days are coming with 50 degree + temps, and I'm looking forward to getting back into sitting outside in my swinging chair with an old book and a churchwarden pipe.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I started in college, and I've been off and on for the past two decades.

My in-laws all liked cigars, and I've had my share, but I never really "got" them. Nearly every time I grabbed one at the neighborhood cigar shop, I would regret it and wish I spent the money on single-malt instead. My pipe sessions were much more enjoyable, but I really didn't know how to pack my pipe correctly, so I spent about a decade smoking hot. So in that timeframe, I mostly only smoked my pipe with company.

When the pandemic hit, I rediscovered my pipe, this forum, and online retailers. My wallet is displeased, but the rest of me is thankful for my return.