How Long Does It Take You to Smoke Through a Tin?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Yeah that’s tough. Unless I’m buying a tin specifically to stock the cellar (that is, I’ve already got some in a jar to smoke), I open it and jar it immediately and dip into it when the moment calls. I’ve got jars of stuff from 2009, probably 60+ blends to choose from so a 2oz tin might stretch two weeks, a month, a year, or over a decade. If it’s something I’m really into at the moment, like Regent’s Flake for example, a tin lasts about a month, but the last 50g of Squadron Leader I opened last October is barely touched and will probably last three years. I dunno man.

75% of what I smoke is bulk, anyway. Tinned stuff gets treated as a commodity, bulk stuff as a necessity, and so I tend to ration the tinned blends a bit more.

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
I would say about 30 days if I am committed to a blend. I have so many open and jarred blends from the first few years during the experimental phase.
Ive put away most of the jars this year and only kept a few out. Trying to systematically smoke through the blends. Some days go better than others. Now I know what I like and it is harder to stray.
I’ve enjoyed revisiting. CRF by C&D didn’t nothing for me a couple years ago, now I’ve been smoking exclusively for a week.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Yeah that’s tough. Unless I’m buying a tin specifically to stock the cellar (that is, I’ve already got some in a jar to smoke), I open it and jar it immediately and dip into it when the moment calls. I’ve got jars of stuff from 2009, probably 60+ blends to choose from so a 2oz tin might stretch two weeks, a month, a year, or over a decade. If it’s something I’m really into at the moment, like Regent’s Flake for example, a tin lasts about a month, but the last 50g of Squadron Leader I opened last October is barely touched and will probably last three years. I dunno man.

75% of what I smoke is bulk, anyway. Tinned stuff gets treated as a commodity, bulk stuff as a necessity, and so I tend to ration the tinned blends a bit more.
I’m basically the same - I smoke 6-10 bowls a day but most are bulk blends. I have about 20 tins open and jarred but I probably smoke 1 bowl a day from a tin.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have around 20-25 tins open at any given time. I don't pay attention to how long a tin lasts me. I can keep a tin open for 1 or more years in the containers that I use. Some tins will last at least a year and a half and sometimes 2 years. so I don't have to pay attention to how long a tin lasts. I smoke 4-6 bowls a day and I don't pay attention to how long a tin lasts me.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
At last count I had 76 open tins (in jars). I like variety, but the real reason I have so many open is that I don't smoke that much, usually around 3.5 bowls per week. Many of those tins have been "open" for several years. If were to open a 2 oz. tin and only smoke that tin, it would take me about 6 weeks to finish.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I currently have just two actual tins that are opened that I am actively smoking from. Samarra (2 oz) was opened in April of this year, with more than half left, and Dreams of Kadath opened in May, with at least 2/3 left. I'll probably end up jarring the DoK soon just 'cause I want to get more age on it, but the Samarra should stay moist enough over the next couple months until it is finished. Because I have several jarred bulks I dip into, even with a bowl a day, a tin will typically last me 3 or 4 months.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I saw some talk about hoarding, etc., and I largely ignored it, and then seeing people saying they buy loads of tins and then go back to purchase more (which I have no problem with), but it got me thinking:

How long does it take you to smoke through a tin?

Depends. If I really like it... a week. If I just poke around with it here and there, or on special occasions... I've had them last months to years.

Reactions: WildTurkeySurprise

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
I’m still in the experimental phase (just over a year)…I have acquired and jarred 50ish blends that are all fair game any given day. Smoking 2-3 bowls per day avg, my thing is trying to keep in regular rotation a blend I’m not really wild about, so I can go through it quickly (or maybe to make friends with it), while making room for blends I do like or have yet to try. The shortest ”from open tin to empty tin” stretch I’ve encountered so far is Capstan Blue, in which a 50g tin was gone in less than a week. I like that stuff!