How Long Does It Take You to Smoke Through a Tin?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I saw some talk about hoarding, etc., and I largely ignored it, and then seeing people saying they buy loads of tins and then go back to purchase more (which I have no problem with), but it got me thinking:

How long does it take you to smoke through a tin?

One week? Two weeks? Do you dip in every once in a while and it takes you months? I think it took me a week or two to smoke through my first tins of Escudo and Carolina Red Flake (a sign that I liked the tobacco), but other than that I have several tins open at a time that I dip into here and there. I’m sure there have been similar threads in the past, but I’m just curious.

glub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2021
KC MO
I'll open a tin of my current go-to's every 3-5 weeks (currently Capstan Blue & Escudo) with another tin or two monthly as I finish off a jar or need to top it off, on average. So ~ a tin/week, apparently?

I jar all my opened tins and have cut myself off from buying additional jars, so I'm at 32 opened & bulk tobaccos currently.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have about twenty jars, pouches, tins, and tubs open at a time, and maybe some stray samples in baggies, so a tin once opened can last for a year or more, and hopefully it gets jarred. I have had blends that I enjoyed enough to finish up, selecting them every third smoke or so. I may have finished off some of those in a month or two.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
It varies wildly, two weeks to two years. Right now I have about twenty tins opened and stored in jars and am not opening more until these are finished. Will take some time at my current pace of 3 bowls a week. The pace picks up when I am on vacation. When I clean up the mess of tins I have open I plan to only have 2 or 3 tins open at a time. Want to try consistency for a while to see how I like that compared to a different tobacco every bowl.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It varies wildly, two weeks to two years. Right now I have about twenty tins opened and stored in jars and am not opening more until these are finished. Will take some time at my current pace of 3 bowls a week. The pace picks up when I am on vacation. When I clean up the mess of tins I have open I plan to only have 2 or 3 tins open at a time. Want to try consistency for a while to see how I like that compared to a different tobacco every bowl.
Easy. Send me all your open stuff and I’ll send your three sealed ones ;)

• Haha
Reactions: chopper and glub

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
A typical European tin is 50g or 100g, my pipes take between 2-3g of tobacco, my largest around 5g so that's - assuming 50g tins - 10-20 bowls per tin. I smoke 3-6 bowls per day.

There's no way to predict how fast a tin will go. The tins I smoked through the fastest were 100g Old Dark Fired (dead in two weeks), and 57g Bayou Morning Flake (dead in a week). The longest, and still going, is a tin of SG Black XX, been open for 1.5 years, still have 3-4 bowls' worth left.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
A long, long time, as I have about 15 aromatics, 9 virginias, 4 burleys and about 17 english all on the go at any given time.
Lately I've been having 1 bowl a day Monday to Thursday, and 2 to 3 Friday through Sunday.
So my guess would be a few months at least, as I rotate through everything, rarely smoking the same blend more than once a week.

Reactions: gervais