How long does it take you to smoke 16oz?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Have your read the legislation? Or, are you basing your limited understanding on other people's take on what they've heard or read?
Seems like there are many other reasons or indications of why it would be wise to be cellaring tobacco. One, obviously, is being able to enjoy tobacco that has aged. I don't recall seeing one positive story about the long term health of the tobacco industry. McClelland and Dunhill closing, this pending legislation, legislation to tax internet sales, legislation to halt tobacco products sold over the internet. It would be overly optimistic to believe it is going to be as easy and cheap to purchase pipe tobacco 3 to 5 to 10 years down the road as it is today.
I fail to see how anybody can consider it as panic buying or Chicken Little shouting the sky is falling. Would I slit my wrists if I could no longer smoke? Of course not. But if I can take some reasonable steps to help insure I would still be able to enjoy a few bowls of tobacco per day even if all sales are halted, I find no sound argument for not doing so. To each their own though.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
1 pound = 453 grams

1 ounce = 28.3 grams

3 grams = 1 bowl

1 pound = 151 bowls

1 ounce = 28.3 bowls
so, maybe :
1 pound = 28.3 bowls.
This brings up : how many bowls do you smoke a day ?
Not science, just a hobby. 8)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke 4-5 bowls per day at 3 grams a bowl. I smoke about a pound on average per month and have a 20 something year supply. I cellared deep on my favorites and damn glad I did. I have already seen two(not MC or Dunhill) of my favorites get discontinued and I will not be surprised to see many others go the way of the Dodo.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I fail to see how anybody can consider it as panic buying or Chicken Little shouting the sky is falling. Would I slit my wrists if I could no longer smoke? Of course not. But if I can take some reasonable steps to help insure I would still be able to enjoy a few bowls of tobacco per day even if all sales are halted, I find no sound argument for not doing so. To each their own though.
I couldn’t have said it better myself, however maybe if I would have tried all of these fine gentlemen wouldn’t be under the assumption that I am a loon. The state I’m currently stationed in is banning all online tobacco sales in the near future. I think it’s safe to assume that any laws pertaining to the consumption of tobacco products that arise in the future will be to further restricting purchasing and development of tobacco styles/blends and not about Loosening then. Case in point: Hawaii, where I currently live, is well on their way to making the legal age to purchase tobacco 100. It is already 21 and they have decided to raise the minimum age by 10 years every year, starting in 2021 I believe. While I do believe it is unlikely that every other state will follow suit, I would still like to not leave it up to chance.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Personally, I would figure on 12 pounds a year X # of years you want to stock up on. Like many others, I would not want to be without my tobacco...and so I have cellared from 2013 on...I'm 76 so I planned on 20 years worth.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It all depends if you are Jim Inks. Then you would need an industrial dumpster of tobacco to keep up with his prodigious incineration habits! I know the man as a friend so I would think that amount would be on the light side :rofl:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
1 pound = 453 grams

1 ounce = 28.3 grams

3 grams = 1 bowl

1 pound = 151 bowls

1 ounce = 28.3 bowls
so, maybe :
1 pound = 28.3 bowls.
1 ounce = 28.3 bowls

1 pound = 28.3 bowls - something doesn't jive.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
My (older) sister is 80 and she’s been smoking cigarettes since she was 16 and I think it’s tremendously unfair that they should put such burdensome taxes on senior citizens who have the habit and are still trying to get by on a fixed income.

As for the health aspect, genetics comes into play with this as well.

My first wife, her mother and grandmother, they all died of cancer, unrelated to smoking.

My family has no history of cancer and that includes a lot of smokers, including my mother who passed away at the age of 96!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I know what you are saying. My Great Grand Father who was born in 1859 took up RYO when cigarettes were probably first about. He was 99 odd years old when he kicked and that was because the nursing home made him stop so he died in protest!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I guess my point in this thread is take a look at your family history and if there is a susceptibility to cancer, then make that pound last a lot longer than it would under other circumstances!

Otherwise, smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em! :puffy:

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I am hoping to cellar enough in the next year and a half, that I can smoke on it for life.
Forum Mathematics always deliver the same product:
Here’s the real PM forum math:
Life days X number of bowls per day X the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow (European, of course)

Subtract for sick days yet add for vacations and holidays. = Buy a shit-ton and buy it soon.
You’ll be glad you did, or not. :?:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Simon lent me his industrial dumpster last year, and it's half empty now. I'd have finished the durn thing, but I didn't want to make a piker out of Simon.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Been to California lately?
There's a B&M down the street from me that does a pretty good business on cigars, mostly. I'm a short ride away from Piedmont Tobacconist in Oakland or Mission Pipe in San Jose. All internet retailers ship here. Tobacco prices seem average to slightly higher than average for the rest of the US (so is everything else!). Some paces have it really bad. I wouldn't say CA is one of them.
I am sure it used to be better in terms of shopping options and ability to smoke in different places, and I have little doubt things are going to get more restrictive, but that's not the end of the hobby, nor does it seem unusual for states without tobacco as a major industry (e.g. the Carolinas, Florida, Pennsylvania.)

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I smoke about 10-12 2-3 oz bowls per week most weeks, so I my average would be something like an oz a week. Given 16oz in a lb, it would take about 16 weeks to go thru a lb. But that's actually on the high end. In reality I would probably make it last something like 20 weeks. The only exception to this is if I'm on vacation, then my consumption doubles on my days off (my norm is that I smoke a half to 3/4 bowl after work on weekdays and 3 bowls a day on the weekends)

Status
Not open for further replies.