How Long Can I Let My Tobacco Sit Before Relighting It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is really getting fussy, but it probably isn't ideal to leave a partially smoked pipe sitting around for days, out of consideration for the pipe. The moisture and ash probably don't enhance the degree to which it can be thoroughly cleaned, or at least increases the amount of effort to do a thorough cleaning. The difference may be small, but over time, it wouldn't be great for a pipe, I don't think.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
This is really getting fussy, but it probably isn't ideal to leave a partially smoked pipe sitting around for days, out of consideration for the pipe. The moisture and ash probably don't enhance the degree to which it can be thoroughly cleaned, or at least increases the amount of effort to do a thorough cleaning. The difference may be small, but over time, it wouldn't be great for a pipe, I don't think.
Great response. My concern wasn't so much for the taste of the tobacco but more concern for the pipes. So many places tell you to dump the dottle, run a pipe cleaner through the bit and stem, and put the pipe stem upward to let moisture go down to the bowl. Leaving unsmoked tobacco seems to go against this common practice. With a cob pipe currently as my only option, I'm not overly concerned about abusing it. But when I get my briar pipe, I want to make sure I take good care of it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Do you eat day old bread, donuts, canolli's( don't forget the canolli's), Cuban bread, of course you don't so why smoke day old tobacco, it is the same principal.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
From a pipe care standpoint, I think this is actually a worthy concern when you start getting into a matter of days.
The unsmoked tobacco is going to be transferring moisture to the briar, a bit at a time, so long as it sits in the bowl. It's moisture, in my experience, that is the biggest culprit behind a "sour" pipe.
If you leave a morning pipe and FINISH it and clear it our the afternoon, no issue I'd think, so long as the smoke is still a pleasurable one. But leaving unsmoked tobacco in a pipe over days or more -- yeah, probably a bad idea.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I've only done it a couple of times, and this might just be my imagination, but I've felt the taste of the tobacco is a bit stale when I come back to a pipe after a few hours. Mind you, I'm smoking mainly aromatics.
But since you guys are recommending to empty the ash first, I'll try that next. So thanks in advance.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I have a friend who is big into Virginias, and there are some blends he will smoke only after char lighting, then setting the pipe aside for a day or three. Improves the flavor for him.
My experience is that Virginias with not too much Perique DGT quite well. Light Latakias do well too. Dark Fired detracts.
hp

les

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Dark fired can revert to a cardboard-like taste, but after only a half-day, some of the spice remains...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do you eat day old bread, donuts, canolli's( don't forget the canolli's), Cuban bread, of course you don't so why smoke day old tobacco, it is the same principal.
Hell, yeah, I eat day old stuff, except canolli, which never last into the next day.... Now, never been to Cuba, so can't opine about day olds there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.