PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I used to keep them separate but am finding that I may stop caring about that.
Latakia smokiness seems to stick around awhile, even after only one bowl. When going back to Va and aromatic, the smokey ghost doesn't make me sad.

I just put an english blend through my previously aromatic-only meer and it didn't ghost at all.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I smoke burley forward blends, and to a lesser extent, some blends with heavy latakia (Ten Russians mostly). I don't dedicate pipes (and mostly smoke cobs which may be a factor) to either, and have no issues with ghosting from latakia. That may be because many of my burley blends have a touch of latakia anyway, but I have no problem with my burley blends being smoked in pipes that had latakia blends. I do like the occasional Lakeland, and as others mentioned, those may warrant a dedicated pipe, but I always forget to do so. As to aromatics, I could see dedicating a pipe to them (depending on the aro) since the flavorings are pretty subtle, but I personally have little experience with them, except codger burleys like Granger or Prince Albert, which need no dedicated pipe, IMO.

ethicsminer

Might Stick Around
Jul 4, 2018
Ohio
For me, I basically have 3 pipes: one (a Radice) for non-latakia heavy smokes like VAs, burleys, Balkans; one (a Savinelli) for latakia heavy English blends; and Missouri meerchaums for basically everything else like aromatics.

I try not to overthink it too much and don't notice much ghosting. But I don't smoke aromatics in my other pipes because they can be goopy sometimes.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I typically only smoke latakia blends out of certain pipes. Other than that, it's really whatever pipe seems right. I have one random billiard that seems like it smokes rouxgaroux better than any other blend, but I'll still put other Virginias in it.