PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
i can't find a good way to put this in google so i just made a new thread. As a new pipe smoker i've mainly been smoking arromatics. these aros in mostly corn cobs anyway. I'm stepping up to briars next week and i wonder how well that will work. I'll be starting off with a three briar pipe set from smoking pipes, but want to get myself a modest peterson or savinelli for my birthday in a month.

Should i be worried about easily ghosting a briar? Or should i just do an english, aro split where i keep my aros to one and english to others and lats to there own.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It doesn’t bother me much. I won’t smoke an English back to back in the same pipe as the Latakia will overwhelm subsequent blends for me, but I might smoke an aro for a week, then straight Virginia the next week all in the same pipe.

I was more paranoid about it early on but then found it didn’t bother me outside too much latakia. It will mostly depend on you personally, everyone is different.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I personally dedicate my pipes. St. Bruno tastes much better in a pipe seasoned with it rather than a pipe I smoke something else in. For topped blends (aromatics), I dedicate pipes to the blend, for non-aromatics, I dedicate the pipes to a genre rather than specific blend. Experiment and find what works best for you.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When it comes to dedicating pipes to certain blends, many smokers do this, it’s a personal thing, and having deep pockets certainly helps, it’s not necessary.

As far as Ghosting is concerned, if any blend in question might ghost a pipe, just smoke one bowl, let the pipe dry for a day or two, then smoke Burely/Burely forward blends, Latakia blends can help too, or just simply smoking anything Non Aro for a while, to make sure to remove the ghost.

So, smoking only one bowl at a time for blends that ghost, you should be able to smoke them away easily with other blends as I mentioned.

Besides ghosting, Aros, if you have a pipe with a nice thin carbon build in the chamber, you want to maintain, Aros can strip the carbon away, so be cautious of this.

Buzz Saw

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2022
Southeast Indiana
I really only smoke two pipes, generally aros in a JM Boswell and Balkan blends in a Peterson. I never gave ghosting any thought until I started reading the forums, maybe if I smoked Molto Dolce for weeks at a time and switched to something else it would be a problem, but maybe not. With some aros a little left over ghost may not always be a negative.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's personal taste. I think many Forums members designate few if any pipes and pretty much smoke any blend in any pipe on impulse. Many people who smoke Lakeland aromatic blends with the rose geranium flavoring choose to designate a pipe or pipes, as quite a few do with Latakia.

I don't smoke Lakeland aromatics. For the rest of my blends, I don't bother to designate. I don't build cake, but scoop out the ash, and wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel, and have no problem with ghosting, or at least nothing that bothers me.

With a thin carbon layer, but no cake, i don't need a reamer and I sustain the original diameter of the chambers going back to the first pipe I ever bought. So this works for me on at least two levels.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
When i first started i googled everything and things like “what tobacco should i smoke out of that kind of pipe” and i realized you can read 5 articles and get five opinions.

I have a couple of pipes i dedicate, a birth year Dunhill in the collection is wonderful for English blends so i stick to those with it, i have a savi autograph 6 that smokes straight Virginias like a champ so i stick with those in that, i rarely smoke aros now but i have a handful of mMs and 2 of those are for aros, im still learning myself but that’s part of the fun is learning what pipe sings which different blends, at least it’s fun to me.

i have found that being meanly into English and Virginia blends does help me keep it all straight!

Everything really boils down to personal presence and what works for you, just enjoy the journey!

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I do designate but only in 2 general categories and 2 specific. General is VA and Vaper blends for some pipes and Latakias in others. The other 2 are 1792 in some pipes and Ennerdale in others; they are my preferred aromatic blends and they ghost in a very real way.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Only relatively recently have I begun to dedicate pipes, and only just because I received several pipes as gifts; I would have never endeavored to do this on my own accord. For the longest time, I only had two pipes, one for aromatics, one for everything else. Cobs aside, I now have five pipes, which has resulted in an expansion of this basic system to:

* Savinelli Tortuga 614 bent billiard - all aromatics
* Savinelli Miele 611 KS bent dublin - any latakia blends
* Medico Whitewall straight billiard - straight VAs
* Foyard straight rhodesian (beechwood) - Burleys, VaPers and VaBurs
* SMS claw meerschaum bent billiard - anything
* Cobs - anything

If I smoked Lakelands, I would commit myself and covet my well deserved straitjacket above all else I would have a dedicated pipe for these too.

In conclusion, I don't think it's terribly important to dedicate pipes, but since events beyond my control occurred to where I had several in my collection, I decided to take advantage of such a boon. It's as simple as that.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Really sweet aromatics and lat-bombs are the two genres most likely to ghost a briar [Lakeland blends are also likely to ghost a pipe but I don't smoke them. Ask @Servant King about that, he'd know :col: ]
Since I smoke neither I don't have a problem with ghosting so I don't bother to dedicate pipes to any particular genre.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
I have some pipes which I dedicate to some tobaccos mostly for taste note reasons, for instance I use a meer lined briar pipe for black Irish twist, it smokes cooler, I use a Pete for early morning blend and for most others cobs (personal taste ) If in doubt get yourself a cheapie corn cob for each tobacco which might ghost a briar and if it does then no great harm done, you can keep that cob for that particular blend ….and of course then you have more cobs….because they are great….ok ok I’ll get off my corn cob soapboax now hahaha ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have one dedicated pipe. Dedicated to mixture 79. Why because it's the one ghost that doesn't make other blends more interesting. It doesn't ruin it but it doesn't help either. I don't smoke too many aros or english either though. Also for whatever reason that pipe seems to smoke that blend better then my other pipes. Basically though it is a journey you can take and all we can do is say how the trek was for us.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It depends on what blends you smoke. Latakia/Orientals, Lakelands and aromatics ghost the most.

It also depends on how sensitive you are to ghosts. If not at all, then 1 pipe will suffice.

Then there is the issue of how many pipes you have and how many blends you have open at the one time. If you have several pipes then it is easier to play around with them.

It can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. ?

Reactions: JOHN72 and Toast