How Important is Nicotine to You (After Quitting Cigs)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Nice job putting down the cigarettes! I had the same experience as many, starting with strong blends and looking for nic hits. Nearly three years into enjoying the pipe that has changed.

I still like strong blends, but that is not what drives my tobacco selection. I do notice a buzz here and there too, but much like Mso's wisdom I just enjoy it when it arrives.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've discussed nicotine and me before. Briefly, my dad was an every day all day smoker from his teens to age 65 then quit. My mom liked cigarettes but never bought a pack that didn't go stale. She liked gesturing with them, the drama, but had no nicotine susceptibility at all. I've never smoked cigarettes except to be "bad" as a kid and teenager. I never buy a blend or choose a blend for a nicotine hit; when it happens, I enjoy the buzz but don't seek it out. Nicotine is of high interest to neuroscientists, especially for its activity in the hippocampus (lower primitive part of the brain, the crocodile brain) but they have not done much for quitting smoking or using this knowledge medically that I know. When I have a cold or a medical procedure, I can stop smoking a pipe, and it doesn't make me crave nicotine. So individual susceptibility is everything. I just don't have it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I’m sure this has been asked a million times before, but I’m interested in everyone’s perspective because up until two months ago, i didn’t smoke a pipe necessarily for the nicotine as I was smoking cigarettes and getting massive doses of it. I smoked a pipe for taste, generally, with the nic hit as a bonus.

These days, as Ive weaned off the cigarettes to zero, I find myself reaching for the high-test blends a lot more often, with English blends that I once craved taking a back seat somewhat. I often think to myself, “That sounds good, but I’m craving something stronger...” and then I smoke some Old Joe Krantz.

I still enjoy the lighter blends, just not as often. I’m really happy that I’ve cut out the Pall Malls, and my intense nicotine cravings have dissipated a great deal to the point where I don’t really *need* it...but when it comes time to smoke a pipe, I’m finding that nicotine strength is becoming one of the main drivers in my choice of tobaccos, and one of the main factors in what I find to be a satisfying smoke.

Any of you that have quit the cigs have the same experience? How important is the nicotine hit to you?
I've been off cigarettes since July and I'm with you. The intensity and frequency of my nicotine cravings have definitely lessened, but I still require it. Particularly, first thing in the morning and in the early evening. Aside from those two times, I tend to mix in medium and low nicotine blends

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Not a thing for me, just enjoy the pipe and tobacco for the flavor and relaxation.

Occasionally something sits me down but mostly it doesn’t figure into it from my perspective. I do enjoy very strong blends, both in flavor and N but it’s not really a factor other than not having multiple back to back pipes of the heavy hitters perhaps.

Certainly doesn’t play a role in what I choose to smoke otherwise.

Same with cigars. Never smoked cigs or dipped because N wasn’t and isn’t a factor. It’s just the enjoyment of the pipe for me.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting that nicotine seems to have polar effects in terms of both being an upper, exciting energy and hyperactivity, and also inducing sleep, hence blends named Nightcap and Bayou Night, thought to be best enjoyed when you are going to sleep anyway. Nicotine seems to have variable effects in individuals, some being more prone to the excitability, others to the sedation, and probably some that get both. It definitely has activity in the brain, but it's difficult to conclude exactly what.

Reactions: Mr_Smokey
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All goes with me, except for mild bright virgnias&cherry or other goopy aromatics, yet I must confess I still do some occasional RYO or Cigarillo each another day, but I'm trying to keep this in hand ,I might be better off quitting them completely,but can't deny,I am needing that nicotine,more or less,

Reactions: gervais and chopper

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I quit cigarettes in 1981 and have enjoyed the occasional cigar since. There is no need for nicotine. I can get a nic hit from the pipe but it depends on the strength of the blend and/or size of the bowl. I prefer blends in the medium and just above medium strength for flavour and nicotine. They are usually more interesting. There are milder and stronger blends I like as long as they are interesting and smooth enough.

Reactions: Casual

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems as though there are a lot of you who have or had a similar experience to me.

I agree that the nicotine hit from a pipe is very different from cigs-a cigarette gives you a massive dose, instantly, but it more or less immediately wanes as soon as you stop smoking.

With the pipe, I might not feel that huge, satisfying smack of N, but it’s there and is sustained for longer, and now that I’m relying on the pipe as my sole source of Nicotine, I’m finding that I’m satisfied with less smoking, overall.

I was never much of a burley guy, though, until I decided to quit cigs...now? Yeah. Gimme burley. More.

Smoked some Presbyterian the other night, though, and I just wanted more nicotine.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I am still struggling to quit cigarettes. I started back smoking a pipe to see if that would help my cig cravings. It did. But I still smoke about two packs a week. Mainly because it is more convienent and is much quicker to get my fix. Oddly enough I enjoy my pipes much more than my cigs. But I still get cravings for that hit. I am down from a pack a day to two packs a week. I do inhale my pipe a couple of times per bowl. My pipe helps me relax and I enjoy the flavor so much more. My goal is to get completely off the butts this year and stick completely to my pipe. I choose my tobacco by flavor and smoothness. Nicotine content is not a consideration. Hopefully before long, the cigarettes will be gone. I definitely feel that pipe smoking is definitely better for a smoker than cigarettes. Wish me luck.
Jef

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I am still struggling to quit cigarettes. I started back smoking a pipe to see if that would help my cig cravings. It did. But I still smoke about two packs a week. Mainly because it is more convienent and is much quicker to get my fix. Oddly enough I enjoy my pipes much more than my cigs. But I still get cravings for that hit. I am down from a pack a day to two packs a week. I do inhale my pipe a couple of times per bowl. My pipe helps me relax and I enjoy the flavor so much more. My goal is to get completely off the butts this year and stick completely to my pipe. I choose my tobacco by flavor and smoothness. Nicotine content is not a consideration. Hopefully before long, the cigarettes will be gone. I definitely feel that pipe smoking is definitely better for a smoker than cigarettes. Wish me luck.
Jef

For me, it was discovering Old Joe Krantz that finally kicked me over the edge of quitting cigs. I was running to the grocery store and was planning on picking up a pack of smokes there, but I smoked a bowl of OJK on my way and realized that I was stuffed to the gills on nicotine. I decided to not buy a pack and see if I could survive the next day on pipe alone. The answer? Yes, indeed! But the nicotine craving was there, for sure, and if it wasn’t for those high-test blends, I’m sure I would have caved at some point and choked down a Pall Mall.

If you want to kick the butts, I recommend a strong, kick-ass burley blend to help you up over the hump of cravings. For instance, in the morning, when I’m craving a smoke the most (although lately the craving is MUCH less intense), i smoke some 5 Brothers or OJK, in a small pipe. Over and done in 10 minutes. I pack another bowl to smoke on my way to work/on the way home from work-driving has always been a smoking trigger for me so having a pipe to smoke is lovely.

Then, if I feel like it, I’ll have a third after dinner/before bed.

Good luck, I can tell you that I don’t miss ‘em!

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I am the same way. Switched to full time pipe and got off the cigs. I also gravitate towards stronger blends to get my fix. Lighter blends don't really work for me unless I have time for a big bowl. I have somewhat taken things down a notch after blasting myself with some of the most potent blends and am a bit more content, even if I don't get blasted. Id say just go for the strong stuff if you like, although it doesn't always equal the best or more complex flavours. There is always some straight perique or Kentucky or burley you can buy to kick up an existing blend that might have the flavour but not the strength.

Reactions: matheuse

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I am the same way. Switched to full time pipe and got off the cigs. I also gravitate towards stronger blends to get my fix. Lighter blends don't really work for me unless I have time for a big bowl. I have somewhat taken things down a notch after blasting myself with some of the most potent blends and am a bit more content, even if I don't get blasted. Id say just go for the strong stuff if you like, although it doesn't always equal the best or more complex flavours. There is always some straight perique or Kentucky or burley you can buy to kick up an existing blend that might have the flavour but not the strength.

Good point with adding some straight leaf to stuff I already like...I still enjoy the English blends that are lighter in Nic, it’s just when I’m done it feels like something is missing I guess. Funny, though, because before I quit the cigs, all I ever wanted to smoke was English blends that, for the most part, are pretty light nicotine wise. I’m sure that soon, it’ll all level off and I’ll be happily smoking without really considering the Nic...or maybe it’ll be the opposite? I’ll think...hmm...that sounds good, but I haven’t eaten yet and that nicotine will kick my ass...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Maybe it's just the fact that I smoke so fast usually, but I can get good nic hits most of the time. And that's very important to me, especially when I don't have any cigs.

Reactions: Jef

Jabbur

Lurker
Apr 18, 2020
I am a former “one cigar a day” smoker so I like stronger tobacco but I do not miss the nic hit as I do prefer the ritual and taste of the pipe smoking.

Reactions: Drew72