How Important is Nicotine to You (After Quitting Cigs)

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

Tobacco Treasures Ad

Recent Posts

Tobacco Treasures Ad

Jaylotw

Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’m sure this has been asked a million times before, but I’m interested in everyone’s perspective because up until two months ago, i didn’t smoke a pipe necessarily for the nicotine as I was smoking cigarettes and getting massive doses of it. I smoked a pipe for taste, generally, with the nic hit as a bonus.

These days, as Ive weaned off the cigarettes to zero, I find myself reaching for the high-test blends a lot more often, with English blends that I once craved taking a back seat somewhat. I often think to myself, “That sounds good, but I’m craving something stronger...” and then I smoke some Old Joe Krantz.

I still enjoy the lighter blends, just not as often. I’m really happy that I’ve cut out the Pall Malls, and my intense nicotine cravings have dissipated a great deal to the point where I don’t really *need* it...but when it comes time to smoke a pipe, I’m finding that nicotine strength is becoming one of the main drivers in my choice of tobaccos, and one of the main factors in what I find to be a satisfying smoke.

Any of you that have quit the cigs have the same experience? How important is the nicotine hit to you?

3rdguy

Preferred Member
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Never smoked a cig but I dipped heavy for years. I like the high nic blends but a solid Virginia, red or bright or whatever is refreshing every few bowls so I enjoy the play off each. Then I toss a Lat blend in to get the Lucille Ball effect.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member
Jan 28, 2018
I think there are 2 addictions with cigarettes, maybe more. One is the nicotine. Another is satisfying oral fixation. And then you have the triggers (a phone call, drinking a beer, etc.). I quit a 2 pack a day cigarette habit 13 years ago. I think the pipe satisfies a small nicotine need as well as oral fixation/something to with my hands. I prefer flavor over strength. Not everyone is the same though obviously. Whatever trips your own trigger.

trubka2

Preferred Member
Feb 27, 2019
I used to smoke a ton of cigs. Nic content is a factor for me in choosing blends, but it's less and less important the further I get from my last cig, which was in 2018. Pipe is a much different thing. The amount of nicotine doesn't really even compare to cigs IMO.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
The pipe works perfectly as a nicotine delivery system. The cigar doesn't do a bad job. MCDs and other luxury cigarettes do a great job without the chemically infused paper wrappers. Far as I know the nicotine is the only reason to smoke whether the smoker admits it or not. Hit or no hit (I'm in the "no hit" grouping), the most subtle/unnoticed of efects on the brain make smoking enjoyable, even relaxing for some.

rushx9

Preferred Member
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I had a similar thing happen when I finally quit cigs altogether. Started reaching for Royal Yacht, Gawith flakes and ropes, Irish plugs, etc. over my usual Balkans and light Englishes. Much like @trubka2 , the further I got from my last cig, the less I craved high nic blends and the more my taste came back for lighter blends. I still enjoy strong blends but I can get satisfaction from either end of the spectrum. I've noticed if I can't smoke during the day for some reason, when I finally can I tend to reach for stronger blends. I suppose I'm subconsciously regulating my nicotine intake.

alaskanpiper

Preferred Member
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It has no bearing on my tobacco selection, as I use tobacco free nicotine pouches pretty much all day. However, I like it. I do like it.

I smoke mostly for flavor and the process, but a good nic hit is a nice bonus.

davek

Preferred Member
Mar 20, 2014
I don't notice nic in pipes the way I did with cigs. I remember that first smoke in the morning and being like Oh yeah, there it is! But I never get that with pipes.
I certainly do. I get up in the morning very early, start the coffee, and go onto the back porch to smoke while it brews. A pipe is not like a cigarette in that the nicotine hit is delayed, and more sustained. So, I don't get that quick hit, but I sure feel the tobacco wake me up.

The pipe works perfectly as a nicotine delivery system. The cigar doesn't do a bad job.
^^Agree^^
I haven't smoked cigarettes in a very long time, like 40 years. Cigars are in my more recent past, They also have a different "hit" than cigarettes. Delayed, more sustained, and each is qualitatively different as well.

I do smoke (usually) straight Burley. Mellowed with just enough honey to still taste fairly strong without curling your hair. So, YMMV.

workman

Preferred Member
Jan 5, 2018
I certainly feel the nicotine when I smoke a pipe. Sometimes the last quarter of a bowl of ODF or 1792 can get very strong even to the point of giving me hiccups.
It has some importance as I almost never reach for very light blends. I prefer medium strength virginias and va/pers. They give me this slow, mellow satisfaction.
Higher nic burleys and Royal Yacht need to be accompanied by alcohol. Otherwise they are a tad strong for me.