PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Let's say you buy half a dozen or so new types of tobacco. How long will it take you to try all of them?
I bought six new baccy's today, and I've tried half of them so far, but I'm hoping to use a little willpower and not open the other three until at least tomorrow. (But they look so good... )

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I have about six varietys in rotation, I will try a new one when one in the rotation has been smoked up. But sometimes I will try one as soon as I recieve it, If I dont put it in rotation I just jar it up. :puffy:

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I believe that the search for the next great smoke leads us all along the bell curve of try outs. I have seven ball jarred blends on my tobacco bar along with a box of about 10 bagged sample blends and four yet unopened tins including one Blue Mountain that I am allowing to age somewhat. I love latakia so I naturally gravitate in that direction and now and then smoke an aro with disappointment. I always keep plenty of Penzance in stock and I always compare every smoke to a bowl of Penzance. My point here is that I've been to the top of the mountain (on the bell curve) and I'm convinced that I'm decending toward fewer try outs, no more aros, two or three latakia blends like PS Balkan Sasieni, Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, Sterling's American Patriot, or C&D Engine 99 and of course Penzance.
When I choose a pipe, it's usually a large bowled one and when I pack a blend I want assured pleasure delivered consistently meeting my expectations. I've been left disappointed with supposed new great blends that really aren't new and really are not great. My go to selections seem to be hard acts to follow and I've decided that it's more fun to smoke them than try to surpass them. I'm one pipe smoker whose no longer running around looking for new smokes. I'm definitely settled in with my blends, my bowls, and my scotch and I'm a happy guy.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I'm thinking 6 tobaccos in six pipes over the next 6 days. That's about as much will power I could muster in response to the excited curiosity that would arrive with my shipment.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well - I gotta admit - when I got my last order, I hit the Granger, the Walnut, and the Sail Green within 24 hours. The other new blend - Blue Mountain - is waiting until I clear a space in my latakia rotation. On the order before that, however,in August, I just opened the last of my purchases - I bought an ounce each of half-a dozen Altadis blends, and just hit the African Queen today - from August. :puffy:

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
i just ordered 6 different tobaccos the other day, so i guess we will find out. i have a feeling that when they get here i wont be able to hold back....ill just open them all up and give them all a go. there is just too much excitement to wait to see if ill like something for more than a day or two. i mean waiting for the order to come is bad enough!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
six new baccys means i got six pipes out of rack and 6 hrs of happy puffin
sounds about right, although personally ill only use two pipes, and rotate then give them a nice long rest

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
Considering I only smoke a couple times a week or so, it'll take me a while to try them all. As a matter of fact I'm getting 5 tins om a couple days......along with a new pipe, so that will take me a bit of time to get through them all. I hate smoking in the cold, so I only do it when I really have the urge.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
4 new baccy's comin from P&C as well as a clay pipe. I already have one, Larrys Blend so that means only 3 new ones to try. I think it'll be H&H Blackhouse in the clay for the first shot. But i ordered it on Thursday so it'll be prob. friday or monday, dam hard to wait 4-6 more days.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
If they are in tins, then I'll smoke one and when the tin is done, try another. If its in bulk, pretty much will try them all right away.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I try 'em as soon as I get 'em. My usual habit is to try a bowl in a briar & a meer then go to the next. :puffy:

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I open new tins nearly as soon as they show up in my mailbox. Depending on the size of the order, it may take me a couple days to try them all. Mason jars are pretty inexpensive. I just pop the tins, try a bowl, then jar it up. Its been working well so far.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
No system, no pattern. I just got some Nutty Cut and Sherlock Holmes and Arcadia, but I had opened a tin of Christmas Cheer, and had a tin of Beverwyck and a tin of Plum Pudding open already. I jarred the plum pudding and the Christmas Cheer, maybe I will open this Lagonda I bought a while back. Decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.