PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i do my best to get to the bottom as often as possible. do a bit of stirring tamping and relighting until it just won't light anymore.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I'm another one of those smoke until i don't want to people, thought it is usually at least 3/4 of a bowel.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Normally I smoke to the bottom of the bowl stopping just short sucking up a mouth full of ash
I did that last night - tasted ..nasty. :lol:

openbook

Lurker
May 6, 2011
I find that by the end of a smoke, the small bit of tobacco left in the bottom is too wet to keep lit. Does anyone have advice?

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I find that by the end of a smoke, the small bit of tobacco left in the bottom is too wet to keep lit. Does anyone have advice?
Some tobaccos, most notably aromatics, do get "goopy" toward the bottom of the bowl. Packing a little less tightly can help. Smoking slower can help. With some blends it will happen regardless of what you do. I tend to try and avoid those that do.

openbook

Lurker
May 6, 2011
I've been smoking Fribourg & Treyer's Golden Mixture, which is not an aromatic. I generally take an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes, with 5 or 6 relights, to smoke a bowl. I have to smoke outside though and it can be breezy. I find myself puffing faster to try and make sure I'm still lit.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I smoke until I'm done, not until the bowl is done necessarily. I'll stop when I get to the bottom, get bored, cold, tired, dizzy, or have something I need to do. That's whats so great about pipe smoking, it doesn't matter how you do it! :puffpipe:
PS I've never smoked a bowl down to a fine white ash.. it just doesn't happen for me, let alone without relights! I'm a wet smoker I think... :oops:

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
For those of you who smoke as much to the bottom I am left with about 1/4 to a 1/3 left mostly with aromatics. When.. after it keeps going out after relighting.. I simply pour what is left into a clean tray, wait for about half an hour then pop into a clay pipe.

I have mid 17th century English civil war type which the bowl is only about 12mm wide and only 20mm deep perfect for left overs. A clay gives a clean smoke so any moisture that is left is absorbed by the clay itself.
Brilliant No wasted tobacco for me and not only that gives me a chance to use a clay pipe. Other pipes you could consider would a Tudor/Elizabethan which is smaller or a Missouri Legend corn cob pipe.

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
Depends on how hard it is to keep it lit in that last 1/4 bowl. Sometimes, I hit the sweet spot and smoke all the way to white ash at the bottom. Sometimes, I'm best off removing the last 1/4 bowl and calling it the filter of my smoke.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I smoke as much as I want to, If its only a quarter inch, its only a quarter inch, if I want to smoke it down, I smoke as far down as I can, If I cant get it to the bottom, ill dump some ash out, and relight it. If it tastes bad, I stop, if it tastes ok, I go down as far as I can

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If i have tobacco that has been dried sufficiently, and if i have time to smoke slowly, i will smoke right down to the ashes.
Then, because i enjoy my smoking time so much, i will puff away on the empty pipe for a minute or two before i admit that it's really out and it's time to go.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I smoke it all the way down to the bottom. I like the way the flavor profiles change as the bowl burns deeper. When it starts tasting more like ash than tobacco, I dump it.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Title reminds me of the old joke: Two prostitutes were on the corner, and one asked the other " Do you smoke afterwards?" and the other responded " I don't know, I never look down there to see "

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I try to smoke to the bottom but usually it is about 1/10th left in the bottom. The only tobacco I have been able to smoke to the bottom was PA Cherry vanilla in a hardwood pipe. Most of the time I smoke until I'm tired of it then I take what's left out and run a pipe cleaner through it. :puffy:

smokinggun

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2011
I don't smoke to the bottom, I don't like it. I smoke 3/4 the bowl sometimes just a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.