PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
Despite being a pipeman for about 17 years now (started when I was 18, am now 35) I still have never been sure how far down to smoke the bowl...when breaking in a new pipe I half-fill and try to smoke to the bottom (or until it tastes unpleasant and I feel woozy), but for a broken-in pipe I always find I have to knock it out while there is still some unburnt tobacco in the bottom.....what do other people do? Smoke until there is only ash? Stir up the dottle and relight to burn all the tobacco?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I smoke it as much as I want to. If I get bored I put it out, If I'm not bored I could smoke it to ash, or put it out at the dottle.

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
I smoke about 2 bowls a day and leave about 1/3 tobacco in the bowl after each smoke and empty it into a tin then the next day for my first smoke of the day I load my pipe with the contents of the tin which are now dry along with some fresh tobacco so I never waste any tobacco.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
Whether I load a full bowl or a partial bowl, unless I am interrupted by some odd occurrence I smoke to the bottom.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I always shoot for the bottom. The last 1/3 or so of a bowl is where many of the blends that I've settled into taste best to me.
If I'm ever uncertain as to what remains in the bottom, rather than stir the whole I gently stir the ash on top and knock it out. Visual clues of whats left are then available and if there's anything left worth going after it tends to light and smoke better if left undisturbed.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Always intending to smoke to the bottom. Sometimes I think I've hit bottom and empty it, only to find out there is still ash. And every now and then it's "I've had all I want" before it ends. Not often, though. :puffpipe:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I also smoke to the bottom, using a stir when needed (usually when it starts getting to the bottom of the bowl).

Status
Not open for further replies.