How Do You Reconcile With Pipe Smoking's Health Risks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I only smoke about 2 bowls a day and at the age of 64 i figure if none of the other stuff ive done didnt kill me pipesmoking doesnt stand a chance.

That said, i watch my diet, do chi gung, a few pushups, meditate and walk every day and im the only person i know at my age that doesnt take at least one prescription drug.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't feel the need to reconcile anything. If I seriously tried to reconcile or logically justify smoking a pipe, I'd sell my pipes and tobacco and quit. I suspect the microwaves from a cell phone, WiFi and other devices are more harmful than smoking but I'm not getting rid of all those devices. I think it's a lot more important that I live life to the fullest and enjoy every day I am here.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
To what degree do you feel Pipe Smoking is a risk to your health? (Not being fat, or drinking, or stress, but pipe smoking)

and

How do you reconcile your desire to smoke with the risk you have identified?
I believe it poses at least a moderate risk to my health. I'm not convinced the biggest risk is the big C either. For me, at least, I think it increases the chance of other morbidities like COPD, diabetes, or heart disease. I know that when I smoke more I tend to get less sleep, have a harder time breathing while getting exercise, and find that I sit for hours on end while smoking instead of doing something less sedentary.

Reconciliation is hard to articulate without coming across as flippant. And I'd be lying if I said I always felt at ease with the choice I make when I light up. But some thoughts help some of the time: "Every man dies. Not every man really lives" is one that helps me.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Haha, to each his own. A wise man once said "You know, it doesn't really make a difference whether you're shitting on someone else or someone else is shitting on you, to everybody else it just smells like shit. And shit fuckin stinks."
Lmao, Yep. And for the record before anyone stones me in the street...I have zero problems with herbivores. I was just being playful

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I believe there is a huge difference between inhaling cigarettes and puffing on a pipe or a cigar. Do pipes and cigars pose some health risks? Perhaps. Are there better choices to make in life than choosing to use tobacco? I would say yes. However, I firmly believe that the peace of mind, comfort, relaxation, lessening of anxiety and just simple pleasure I get from my pipes and cigars far outweigh the health risks, at least for me. Out of all the other things in my life that I have survived and endured, if the pipe is the one that gets me, I just got to say "nice shot man".

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Man, honestly... I don’t really worry about it much. I used to smoke 1.5 packs a day for about 15 years, and I felt like shit doing it. Now that I quit and started smoking pipes and loving the taste and enjoying it, I never feel like physical shit because of it. I smoke 2-4 bowls a week probably. So I’m on the light end. Also, just because I don’t feel like shit doesn’t mean I’m not racking up cancer points. I get it, I really do. It’s still not safe. Still, I’m not crippled by fear of cancer like I was when I smoked cigarettes. I try to rinse my mouth with water and/or brush my teeth after every pipe. I feel like if you do that, and visit the dentist at least once a year, you’ll know pretty easily if you need to stop.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Haha, to each his own. A wise man once said "You know, it doesn't really make a difference whether you're shitting on someone else or someone else is shitting on you, to everybody else it just smells like shit. And shit fuckin stinks."
I didn’t mean in your particular case just in general. Cholesterol will kill you and cause serious issues much faster than smoking

also I think that cigars are much worse than a pipe since you are sucking directly on the juices. It would be kind of like chewing and smoking a pipe at the same time IMO.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
I think pipe smoking can reduce stress, and that's a good thing... Also it helps me smoke much less RYO cigarettes. I eventually hope to quit the RYO altogether with the help of the pipe and maybe some NRT.

Also, isn't it true that most pipe tobaccos do not contain anywhere near the amount of harmful chemicals that ordinary cigarettes and most RYO tobaccos?

Status
Not open for further replies.