How Do You Hold Your Pipe In Your Mouth?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
What exactly is being described here?
That was a TRUE actual lol for me... (I think the comment you quoted was meant without irony, but it sure sounds like he’s talking about something else)

I used to clench rear left molars, but I had a large filling and was told to avoid pressure on it, so now front left, which I prefer anyhow. But I only clench when doing something with my hands, not to smoke anyway...

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I think I have different ways that I hold different pipes, to corelate with the weight, distribution, and hang. But, I always think it's so odd when I see an actor in a recent movie or series that just has a pipe hanging straight out under his nose. You can really tell when someone has never actually smoked a pipe before.
I thought the same thing, but this summer I started watching Lee von Erck’s livestream of his workshop. He was doing exactly that, pipe clenched dead center front, dangling for extended periods of time while he was carving. I gave it a try and it just felt bizarre and insecure like it would fall out at the slightest relaxation of pressure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That was a TRUE actual lol for me... (I think the comment you quoted was meant without irony, but it sure sounds like he’s talking about something else)

I used to clench rear left molars, but I had a large filling and was told to avoid pressure on it, so now front left, which I prefer anyhow. But I only clench when doing something with my hands, not to smoke anyway...
wrong forum probably. Must be a member at the forum for things I wish my wife knew how to do.

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
They are awesome....once you get used to them. They feel too big, too squishy and unnatural at first. Now I use them on every pipe. They really help with us chewers.
I started using softies as well, but I found that since I clench at the side of my mouth and the pipe angles forward, that the far edge of the softie was also at an angle and the back corner would be uncomfortable on my lip. So now I cut the far edge back at 45 degrees and it feels great, but then it feels weird if I switch to the other side. Wish they were about 2mm longer. Tried cutting rubber tubing but didn’t like how squishy they are. Not a big deal but still looking for the perfect solution.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I started using softies as well, but I found that since I clench at the side of my mouth and the pipe angles forward, that the far edge of the softie was also at an angle and the back corner would be uncomfortable on my lip. So now I cut the far edge back at 45 degrees and it feels great, but then it feels weird if I switch to the other side. Wish they were about 2mm longer. Tried cutting rubber tubing but didn’t like how squishy they are. Not a big deal but still looking for the perfect solution.

Another guy on the forum posted using this and it works BRILLIANTLY and it allows you to adjust the thickness. One roll lasts a long time.

Seal Self Fusing Silicone Tape - 1 Inch Wide and 15 Feet Long Weatherproof Self Fusing Silicone Sealing Tape for Emergency Pipeline Repair/Cable Bandage/Tool Fixing(Black): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific - https://smile.amazon.com/Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape/dp/B08B3JSJF3/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Silicone+Self+Fusing+tape&qid=1612845085&sr=8-4

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I used to use that and it's soo much more comfortable than the titty bits. However, I would recommend only using it on acrylic bits. My vulcanite ones have a clearly visible line where the tape was, as the stem has slightly faded. It's not terrible but noticable.

Ymmv

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
So my left teeth are fucked from taking a hockey puck to the face playing juniors... left side molars are all crooked and pushed inward, so I can't keep a pipe stable when clenching on the left, which is a bummer because I am left handed.

When walking or working, I keep the tip of the stem at my second to last molars on the right, pretty deep in my mouth, bowl pointed slightly to the left. I rarely take it out of my mouth between lights. When sitting, however, it sits less deeply in my mouth and hangs a lot more.

When I first took up a pipe, I couldn't clench because so much of my slobber would accumulate in the stem and drip to the heel on my bent pipes. Now my hands usually only come into play when lighting.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It varies. When I was six months old I used my feet. ButI'm not quite as flexible these days.

If the pipe is light weight, just draping it between my upper and lower lip does the job. No teeth involved.

If it's heavier, then it's a teeth clamp.

Mostly I don't clench.

Reactions: BROBS

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
That is one snazzy shirt you got there. Hard to find good paisley anymore.
Living in Palm Springs, snazzy shirts are most at home here. Before Covid, we had a place called Bobby G's - and it was the Mecca of Snazzy Shirts. Literally, the Mecca of snazzy shirts. Nothing but snazzy shirts. And always, 70% off. Surely someone on this forum knows of what I speak.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Living in Palm Springs, snazzy shirts are most at home here. Before Covid, we had a place called Bobby G's - and it was the Mecca of Snazzy Shirts. Literally, the Mecca of snazzy shirts. Nothing but snazzy shirts. And always, 70% off. Surely someone on this forum knows of what I speak.

tenor.gif

Reactions: telescopes
Status
Not open for further replies.