How Do You Hold Your Pipe In Your Mouth?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
I used to clench some of my old pipes (Then I gave them away when I moved, but that's another story) in my teeth, but that would result in teeth marks on some of the stems. I recently purchased a new pipe, but haven't bit down in it to avoid teeth marks. Is that not something that you all are concerned with?

Devil Anse

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2020
California
I used to clench some of my old pipes (Then I gave them away when I moved, but that's another story) in my teeth, but that would result in teeth marks on some of the stems. I recently purchased a new pipe, but haven't bit down in it to avoid teeth marks. Is that not something that you all are concerned with?
I use the rubber/soft bits most of the time, far more comfortable for me. They will also protect the stem, I tend to use my back teeth/molar to clench.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
depends on the pipe. Normally I don't clench often. I tend to hold the pipe by the bowl (often windy here, so I have to make a windshield) and then "kiss" the button. "Kiss" as in put the button up to my lips and sip from there. I find it actually seems to do what a p-lip is supposed to do with spreading out the smoke across the mouth. When I clench it depends on the pipe. The Canadian I have to grasp with my molars and put the pipe straight out. I can clench it the way I do with the others dangling it out from around my canines but even though it works it feels like it's going to fall. Which is how I clench most of my pipes. And then the cobs and this is where it gets weird I dangling them from the same area but I use my lips instead of teeth. I find when clenching with the molars I have to change my cadance and let the smoke circulate longer before expelling from my mouth. Otherwise it tastes a wee bit flat.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
When I smoke my churchwardens, I always do it when the kids are walking home from school. Then I sword swallow the stem so I looks like I'm smoking a normal pipe. Inevitably, some woke persons little brat will say "Smoking is bad for you!" Then I'll stand up and slowly pull out the pipe revealing it's real length like a side show magic trick, and say "So chastising your elders. As is peeing in your pants which it appears you have just done."

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
So, typically I hold my pipe in my teeth towards the front side of my mouth with the stem opening pointing towards my tongue/cavern of my mouth. I tend to get the most flavor that way, but it makes my jaw tired if I clench it for a while. I recently saw the movie "The Dig", on Netflix, and noticed that the main character appeared to hold his pipe in his back teeth. I also noticed that Kevin Costner did the same on Hatfield and McCoys. So I gave it a try, and while my jaw did not get tired and it was easier to talk, the smoke was pointed in a different direction and I did not get much in terms of flavor. I was wondering if they did this just for the movie, while acting, so that they could keep the pipe in their mouth for a long time while saying their lines. All of this got me thinking, where do other pipe smokers hold their pipes in their mouths and why did they choose that location.
Same for me , can't do the back teeth thing

Status
Not open for further replies.